Transporting Wild Caught Elassoma?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Adiantum

Adiantum
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 February 2022 - 10:56 PM

Howdy, folks!

I am a brand new member here. This forum doesn't appear terribly active, but I am posting in here hoping I can glean a little more information. I am planning a trip to Missouri this spring. My aim is to collect some E. zonatum. For reference, I am in South Dakota. This is a roughly 16 hour round trip between my home and the area in southeast MO I plan to go to. Probably with travel split rather than driving that far in a single day. This doesn't seem like an excessive amount of time in transit, but I want to make sure I'd be setting myself up for success. I don't have a tank set up at the moment but I will certainly have a tank ready at home before I make the trip.

Things I have gleaned from this forum and elsewhere:

-bring fresh water

-I need a cooler (for containing scooped fish, maintain temp)

-fresh water should contain prime or salt

-individually bagging fish may be advantageous?

It appears that March-April is probably breeding season for these guys, so it is possible I will find some tiny juvies but I expect to primarily catch adults. Any further tips on how best to transport these guys? Things I should do when collecting? It seems like these guys are generally pretty hardy but they can be susceptible to bacterial/fungal infection under stress like this. I shouldn't need that many individuals to start a breeding colony, but I want to make sure I minimize stress and die-off, of course.

#2 El Todd

El Todd
  • NANFA Member
  • Silver Spring Md

Posted 28 February 2022 - 09:07 AM

I think the basics you have listed are the main things. Gerald Pottern wrote a more extensive list that I usually follow :

COLLECTING AND ACCLIMATING NATIVE FISHES

Gerald Pottern -- Raleigh Aquarium Society, NANFA, NFC

Many native fishes are hardy in aquariums once they're settled in, but are easily stressed during collecting, transporting, and acclimating to aquarium life.  Stressed fish may look okay when you get them home, but then sicken and die a few days later.  Here are some tips on minimizing collecting stress and easing the transition from stream to aquarium.

In The Field

•  Fill bucket or cooler only about 1/3 full; frightened fish will jump
•  Add kosher salt to collecting bucket: 1 Tablespoon per 2 gallons, or a “bait saver” mix.
•  Don't use sea salt for freshwater collecting. It will raise pH, esp in soft acid water.
•  Each seine or dipnet haul should last only 5 to 20 seconds.  Longer haul times will stress the fish in the net, and also allow time for the fast ones to escape.  Short hauls are both more productive and less stressful.
•  Transfer fish as quickly as possible from net to bucket or cooler.  Transfer using a small aquarium net, or scoop hands gently under and around them.  Very small fish can be picked up on a bit of aquatic plant or leaf.  NEVER hold any part of a fish between your fingers; the friction damage will cause a skin infection.
•  Small fish can overheat in your hand in seconds; have bucket handy BEFORE you pick them up, and DONT study them in your hand.  Use a net IN WATER or plastic bag if you have to examine them up close in the field.
•  Plants or water-logged leaves in the bucket will help reduce stress; do NOT put rocks in the bucket.
•  Keep invertebrates & amphibians separate from fish, without salt.
•  Shrimp and crayfish should have plants, leaves, or twigs to grasp, so they don’t grab onto each other
•  Keep container in shade whenever possible.  A dark bucket in sun heats up quickly.
•  Don't collect in very hot weather; fish are already enduring all the stress they can handle.
•  Get new water (and add salt again) for the trip home, and don't overcrowd them.
•  Styrofoam boxes are best for travel, as fishes snout and mouth can be damaged in rigid containers.
•  The more water the better, for thermal and chemical stability during transport.
•  But make sure there's plenty of air space too if container is closed, or use a battery aerator.
•  Beware of hot spots on the floor or trunk of your car/truck (above the exhaust pipe).
•  If traveling with fish more than one day, bring a pre-cycled filter, air pump, and tap water conditioner.
•  Better to get a few fish home healthy than a lot of stressed fish that won't live.

At Home

•  If fish are in darkness during transport, they should be exposed to light without any disturbance.  Darters especially will go into shock and die if exposed to sudden light and handling.  Put closed box where it can be left undisturbed, open lid, and don’t look inside for 10 to 15 min while the fish adjust to light.
•  In cold weather, let fish warm up SLOWLY to room temp.   A box filter or sponge filter borrowed from a well-established, preferably crowded tank (lots of nitrifying bacteria) will reduce ammonia in the transport box.
•  After room temp is reached, transfer fish to permanent aquarium.  Discard old stream water.
•  For “nervous” fish like pinewoods shiner and darters, put a towel or cardboard around tank for a day or two.  This helps them get used to glass walls, and reduces fright whenever someone walks by.
•  Feed promptly with live or frozen foods; a good meal reduces stress and replaces lost body salts.
•  Watch carefully for signs of disease: scratching, twitching, cloudy eyes, eroding fins -- treat only if needed.
•  The most common diseases likely to affect newly-caught freshwater fish are Ichthyopthirius (ick), gill flukes, and Flavobacterium (aka Flexibacter, Columnaris, mouth fungus, tail rot).

#3 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 28 February 2022 - 09:18 PM

Unfortunately, you are not allowed to transport MO native fish out of the state.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#4 Adiantum

Adiantum
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 01 March 2022 - 12:43 AM

I think the basics you have listed are the main things. Gerald Pottern wrote a more extensive list that I usually follow :

COLLECTING AND ACCLIMATING NATIVE FISHES

Gerald Pottern -- Raleigh Aquarium Society, NANFA, NFC

Many native fishes are hardy in aquariums once they're settled in, but are easily stressed during collecting, transporting, and acclimating to aquarium life.  Stressed fish may look okay when you get them home, but then sicken and die a few days later.  Here are some tips on minimizing collecting stress and easing the transition from stream to aquarium.

In The Field

•  Fill bucket or cooler only about 1/3 full; frightened fish will jump
•  Add kosher salt to collecting bucket: 1 Tablespoon per 2 gallons, or a “bait saver” mix.
•  Don't use sea salt for freshwater collecting. It will raise pH, esp in soft acid water.
•  Each seine or dipnet haul should last only 5 to 20 seconds.  Longer haul times will stress the fish in the net, and also allow time for the fast ones to escape.  Short hauls are both more productive and less stressful.
•  Transfer fish as quickly as possible from net to bucket or cooler.  Transfer using a small aquarium net, or scoop hands gently under and around them.  Very small fish can be picked up on a bit of aquatic plant or leaf.  NEVER hold any part of a fish between your fingers; the friction damage will cause a skin infection.
•  Small fish can overheat in your hand in seconds; have bucket handy BEFORE you pick them up, and DONT study them in your hand.  Use a net IN WATER or plastic bag if you have to examine them up close in the field.
•  Plants or water-logged leaves in the bucket will help reduce stress; do NOT put rocks in the bucket.
•  Keep invertebrates & amphibians separate from fish, without salt.
•  Shrimp and crayfish should have plants, leaves, or twigs to grasp, so they don’t grab onto each other
•  Keep container in shade whenever possible.  A dark bucket in sun heats up quickly.
•  Don't collect in very hot weather; fish are already enduring all the stress they can handle.
•  Get new water (and add salt again) for the trip home, and don't overcrowd them.
•  Styrofoam boxes are best for travel, as fishes snout and mouth can be damaged in rigid containers.
•  The more water the better, for thermal and chemical stability during transport.
•  But make sure there's plenty of air space too if container is closed, or use a battery aerator.
•  Beware of hot spots on the floor or trunk of your car/truck (above the exhaust pipe).
•  If traveling with fish more than one day, bring a pre-cycled filter, air pump, and tap water conditioner.
•  Better to get a few fish home healthy than a lot of stressed fish that won't live.

At Home

•  If fish are in darkness during transport, they should be exposed to light without any disturbance.  Darters especially will go into shock and die if exposed to sudden light and handling.  Put closed box where it can be left undisturbed, open lid, and don’t look inside for 10 to 15 min while the fish adjust to light.
•  In cold weather, let fish warm up SLOWLY to room temp.   A box filter or sponge filter borrowed from a well-established, preferably crowded tank (lots of nitrifying bacteria) will reduce ammonia in the transport box.
•  After room temp is reached, transfer fish to permanent aquarium.  Discard old stream water.
•  For “nervous” fish like pinewoods shiner and darters, put a towel or cardboard around tank for a day or two.  This helps them get used to glass walls, and reduces fright whenever someone walks by.
•  Feed promptly with live or frozen foods; a good meal reduces stress and replaces lost body salts.
•  Watch carefully for signs of disease: scratching, twitching, cloudy eyes, eroding fins -- treat only if needed.
•  The most common diseases likely to affect newly-caught freshwater fish are Ichthyopthirius (ick), gill flukes, and Flavobacterium (aka Flexibacter, Columnaris, mouth fungus, tail rot).

Excellent, thank you!

Unfortunately, you are not allowed to transport MO native fish out of the state.

As far as I am able to tell from documentation via the Missouri Department of Conservation, fish may be possessed and transported outside of state lines. Elassoma isn't on any lists of banned species you cannot possess, so I have no reason to believe I couldn't do so. Transporting bait fish over state lines is illegal. But again, Elassoma isn't explicitly listed by the legal bodies under bait fish. Though I supposed they could be considered so. Although they would not be collected by myself as bait fish.

Edited by Adiantum, 01 March 2022 - 12:46 AM.

#5 El Todd

El Todd
  • NANFA Member
  • Silver Spring Md

Posted 01 March 2022 - 09:55 AM

Excellent, thank you!

As far as I am able to tell from documentation via the Missouri Department of Conservation, fish may be possessed and transported outside of state lines. Elassoma isn't on any lists of banned species you cannot possess, so I have no reason to believe I couldn't do so. Transporting bait fish over state lines is illegal. But again, Elassoma isn't explicitly listed by the legal bodies under bait fish. Though I supposed they could be considered so. Although they would not be collected by myself as bait fish.

It seems as if Missouri defines any non-game fish as Live bait kind of as a catch all. Intended use wouldn't factor into the situation.

So, as far as I can tell, ellasoma would fall under the umbrella of things that can't be legally transported outside of the state.

You may be able to go to the actual code and see if there are more specifics to the laws that would allow you to do what you want. I'm not a lawyer, so keep that in mind.

I think you might be able to take them from a private pond without issue, so maybe that would work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users