• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maxreynolds

maxreynolds
  • NANFA Guest
  • WISCONSIN

Posted 20 March 2022 - 12:45 PM

Hi all,

I'm a graduate student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison interested non-native species and fish ecology. My master's is focused on the population structure and potential origin(s) of threespine stickleback in the Great Lakes (particularly Lakes Michigan and Superior). I've reached out to

biologists at USGS and WI DNR and combined their existing datasets so I have a list of locations that I'll be sampling this summer, but I thought I would reach out and see if anyone has insights into locations that may be of interest. Feel free to respond to this discussion post or send me an email - max.reynolds@wisc.edu if you have any information.

Thanks!

Max Reynolds

#2 swampfish

swampfish
  • NANFA Member

Posted 21 March 2022 - 09:39 AM

For what its worth, my wife and I collected some three-spine sticklebacks in Chain-of-Lakes State Park, Illinois in the early 1980's. Being on the Fox River in NE Illinois very close to Lake Michigan, this might be of use to you. The location was at the exit of a culvert running under a park road across from a posted no fishing pond where they were keeping minnows to feed predatory game fish. Based on my 40 year-old memory of the shape of the minnow pond and Google Maps, my best guess is that the location was at 42.447, -88.188. All I know for sure is that it was within park boundaries because three park rangers showed up to make sure we were not catching their precious bait minnows. Feel free to contact me at pnixon@illinois.edu if you need additional information.

Phil Nixon

Central Illinois

#3 swampfish

swampfish
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 April 2022 - 05:58 PM

My apologies. I collected brook sticklebacks, not three-spined sticklebacks in Chain-O-Lakes State Park in the early 1980's.

Phil Nixon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users