Photo

Looking to breed Bluegills, what Male to Female ratio should I stock?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cornandcrawlers

cornandcrawlers
  • NANFA Member
  • northeast iowa

Posted 12 November 2022 - 12:46 AM

I have a 75 gallon planted tank with small gravel substrate on one side and sand substrate on the other. I believe the substrate and size of tank should be adequate for bluegills to spawn, but I am unsure if I should stock:

1 male + 1 female
2 male + 1 female
1 male + 2 female
2 male + 2 female 

If anyone has experience with bluegills and getting them to spawn that would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

#2 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 November 2022 - 01:56 PM

I have lots of experience tank spawning bluegill of representing several subspecies as we as several others currently listed within the genus Lepomis.

To start, how big are fish selected for use as breeders?

Where / how do you plan to rear larval / fry stages?

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#3 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 16 November 2022 - 02:58 PM

Tell me more about your setup. I have bred them as pairs in 40-gallon breeder aquariums, two males and a female in 75-gallon aquariums and as colonies in tanks ranging 200 to 2,000 gallons. More than tanks and sex ratios are of concern, especially when tighter confines are used.

#4 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 November 2022 - 10:08 AM

So Mr. Corn,

Are you picky about who you get your information from?

#5 cornandcrawlers

cornandcrawlers
  • NANFA Member
  • northeast iowa

Posted 25 November 2022 - 05:33 PM

I have not stocked any breeders yet, just getting tank cycled at the moment. My plan was to just fish out a female and a male of approximately similar size, maybe 5-8inches, and drop em in the tank and then feed heavily with live foods and do frequent water changes.

Im open to any and all input from someone who has bred them before.

#6 cornandcrawlers

cornandcrawlers
  • NANFA Member
  • northeast iowa

Posted 25 November 2022 - 05:37 PM

Tank currently has two large sponge filters and a water pump for increased oxygen, this has prefilters on the input and output to prevent any future fry from getting stuck.

Also I have live plants anchored down in pots, crypts, and substrate is divided half small gravel and half sand. I wasnt sure which the bluegill would prefer for near building so I went with both options.

#7 cornandcrawlers

cornandcrawlers
  • NANFA Member
  • northeast iowa

Posted 25 November 2022 - 05:37 PM

Ive heard 75 gallons may be too small for bluegill to spawn. So Im open to going green sunfish instead.

#8 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted Yesterday, 09:31 AM

I have tank spawning bluegill experience.

My first suggestion is to use two tanks with your 75-gallon used as the actual breeding and rearing tank while the other houses female(s) during the conditioning phase.

I would also make so you have a partition in the larger tank that females can hide behind to avoid excessive attention my male. 

Give me a bit I will attempt to upload images and possibly a video or two.

Edited by centrarchid, Yesterday, 09:40 AM.

#9 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted Yesterday, 10:24 AM

Below is what I use to exercise some control over where males nest. It also allows me to relocate entire spawns to another location. I suggest using similar in your 75-gallon tank with it set to one end of tank.

DSC04095.JPG

#10 cornandcrawlers

cornandcrawlers
  • NANFA Member
  • northeast iowa

Posted Yesterday, 11:20 AM

That is super clever, thank you for sharing this picture.
Since it is a top down photo I have a couple questions, how deep is that vessel? To me it looks like a bucket placed inside your aquarium that is halfway filled up with gravel.

Also, Ive got a couple of 37 gallon tanks, not ideal but I could house a female in one and raise her there until she looks heavy with eggs and then bring her into the 75 with a male. Also Ill take your advice and make sure there is plenty of cover or things that block line of sight so the female can take a break from male attention

#11 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted Yesterday, 11:32 AM

The fabricated nest used for bluegill is a plastic oil pan filled about 1/3 full of pea gravel. Fish in image above is about 10". Ideally the pan diameter is about 50% greater than the male's length.

Somewhere on this site I have a "cook book' procedure for spawning sunfish which appears to work for most if not all species. You need to condition both sexes without wearing them out testing to see if they are ready to bread. The testing is stressful and promotes delay in successful breeding.

#12 cornandcrawlers

cornandcrawlers
  • NANFA Member
  • northeast iowa

Posted Yesterday, 11:51 AM

Appreciate the dimensions on the spawning vessel. When Im back from my holiday I will search your previous threads and find that cool book you posted on here. Very excited to give it a go.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users