Log Perch

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

I like the looks of these alot. They seem to get good size right? Anyone want to tell me some experience with them? Thinking about getting something like this for my pickerel tank. Thanks.

Chad

#2 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:28 PM

They're basically giant darters. Darter care and feeding. I doubt your pickerel would eat them. I think they're too big. Just guessing. Let us know what happens if you try it.

#3 Guest_paoutlaw13_*

Guest_paoutlaw13_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:01 PM

i have a grass pickeral with one of my log perches and he doesnt seem to bother him at all. but like ed stated just the regular darter care. id suggest feeding them cut up worms to help plump them up.

#4 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:44 PM

The only log perch I have ever seen or caught was last year on hook and line in a place that's near close to impossable to collect in. It was about 5" and died a few days after capture, I had hooked it pretty bad though, wasen't even trying to catch log perch.

#5 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:04 PM

The only log perch I have ever seen or caught was last year on hook and line in a place that's near close to impossable to collect in. It was about 5" and died a few days after capture, I had hooked it pretty bad though, wasen't even trying to catch log perch.

Hmmm...didn't know about that. Well looks like I am open to suggestions lol. I am just looking for something suddle to create a bit more movement in the tank.

Chad

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:16 PM

Movement generally calls on the pickerels instincts to feed.. IMO pickerel really are better choices for a species tank and not a community but this is my opinion. Big suckers as mentioned before are really about it for good tank choices..A few other things manage from time to time but it is never a sure bet.

#7 Guest_paoutlaw13_*

Guest_paoutlaw13_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:40 PM

Movement generally calls on the pickerels instincts to feed.. IMO pickerel really are better choices for a species tank and not a community but this is my opinion. Big suckers as mentioned before are really about it for good tank choices..A few other things manage from time to time but it is never a sure bet.

I set up a new tank the other day which i moved my pickeral into. the only other fish with him are a tadpole madtom and two mottled sculpins. sorta my preditor tank. but i definetly agree with brooklamprey, pickeral are not that great of a community fish, unless they are with some other "preditor" species.

#8 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:47 PM

This is true. I think I may reconsider...

Chad

#9 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:28 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't put a Logperch in with a Grass Pickerel. Grass Pickerel get large (10 plus inches) and Logperch tend to max out at 5 to 6 inches. I've got a huge Logperch and I wouldn't dare put him in with a Pickerel. I've kept Grass Pickerel with Black and White Crappie, and I'm thinking about trying some White Bass in the fall. Instead of a large sucker, maybe try a large Creek Chub, Hornyhead Chub, River Chub, Striped Shiner (school), Common Shiner (shool), or some other large minnow species. If you've got the space try a school of them. I know they'll eat small feeders if you're going for an all predator tank, and they're quite active swimmers. Avoid most Sunfish species because they tend to get much too territorial. I would also think a large Stonecat Madtom could be a great "community" fish with a Grass Pickerel...all just suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users