Orange throated darter breeding

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dude sir

Dude sir
  • NANFA Guest
  • Tennessee

Posted 08 March 2023 - 11:53 AM

Hi I recently collected some wild orange throated darters and was wondering if anyone has some breeding info

Sent from my 1016TPC using Tapatalk

#2 Dude sir

Dude sir
  • NANFA Guest
  • Tennessee

Posted 08 March 2023 - 03:58 PM

Hi I recently collected some wild orange throated darters and was wondering if anyone has some breeding info. I have three pairs currently in a ten gallon. I am noticing the biggest male and biggest female are acting a bit interested in spawning. I just wanted some advice on getting them to lay eggs. I plan to feed the babies brine shrimp and eventually other foods.

#3 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 09 March 2023 - 11:13 AM

Keep the water in 60's F to lower 70's F. Use a gravel rather than sand for egg deposition. I would use a power head to promote lots of water movement. I would have tank bottom bare except for container holding the gravel the fish spawn in. Once spawning underway for a week either remove gravel container or adults.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#4 Dude sir

Dude sir
  • NANFA Guest
  • Tennessee

Posted 10 March 2023 - 05:11 PM

Keep the water in 60's F to lower 70's F. Use a gravel rather than sand for egg deposition. I would use a power head to promote lots of water movement. I would have tank bottom bare except for container holding the gravel the fish spawn in. Once spawning underway for a week either remove gravel container or adults.

Thanks I'll try that. Should I add any extra cover or anything

#5 Dude sir

Dude sir
  • NANFA Guest
  • Tennessee

Posted 18 March 2023 - 12:46 PM

Hi my I took your advice and it seems to be working. There is a pair in the tray. They have been moving gravel around and the male is chasing all the other darters off and flaring fins at the female. I'll keep you updated

#6 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 March 2023 - 10:28 AM

Excellent

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users