Darter ID

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 El Todd

El Todd
  • NANFA Member
  • Silver Spring Md

Posted 21 March 2023 - 04:22 PM

Caught these in a swampy area in Southern Maryland a few days ago. Looks like tessalated to me, but I wonder if they could possibly be another species.

Attached File  15980.jpeg   135.88KB   0 downloadsAttached File  15981.jpeg   103.89KB   0 downloads

#2 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 23 March 2023 - 06:31 AM

Can you provide a zip code or a approximate location where you collected these? It's easier to narrow down possible species when you know the watershed.

"Amateurs can potentially make valuable contributions to our knowledge of fishes". - Etnier and Starnes

#3 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 23 March 2023 - 06:53 AM

Thanks! I'd say it was in the 20601 or 20602 zip codes area just Southeast of Waldorf, MD. The watershed is Zekiah Swamp, tributary system of the Wicomico River, Potomac River drainage. I think tessellated also. The two fish were caught in the same seine, and we caught several afterwards, all released.

Kevin Wilson

#4 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 23 March 2023 - 10:46 AM

I agree with the others. It looks like a Tessellated Darter (Etheostoma olmstedi) to me.

"Amateurs can potentially make valuable contributions to our knowledge of fishes". - Etnier and Starnes

#5 AquaHobbyist123

AquaHobbyist123
  • NANFA Member
  • Upper Catawba Watershed in Caldwell County, NC south of Boone

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:47 AM

I'd also say tesselated.

Thomas Lyons

Fortunate to have multiple watersheds within a reasonable drive, with the Upper Yadkin, Watauga, and Upper New watersheds within 40 minutes.

#6 CarsonWargo123

CarsonWargo123
  • NANFA Guest
  • Maryland

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:34 AM

Agreed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users