Photo

Potomac Tributary in Montgomery County Longear x Northern Sunfish

5 replies to this topic

#1 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 22 May 2023 - 07:37 AM

I went fishing with Bob Bock yesterday and we caught some beautiful longear sunfish. In addition, we caught a bunch of green, bluegill and redbreast sunfish. We even had a guy bike by that told us that he was happy to hear that we caught a nice variety of Lepomis!!! Of course, that generated further discussion  :biggrin:  These are some of the most beautiful that we've seen to date along the Potomac watershed.

Longear_1.jpg

Longear_3.jpg

Longear_4.jpg

Longear_2.jpg

Longear_7.jpg

Kevin Wilson

#2 AquaHobbyist123

AquaHobbyist123
  • NANFA Member
  • Upper Catawba Watershed in Caldwell County, NC south of Boone

Posted 22 May 2023 - 08:30 AM

Dang, those are beautiful! Potomac watershed's on my list of places to visit! Want to also see some Potomac Sculpin.

Thomas Lyons

Fortunate to have multiple watersheds within a reasonable drive, with the Upper Yadkin, Watauga, and Upper New watersheds within 40 minutes.

#3 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 22 May 2023 - 08:36 AM

Thanks Thomas! Let me know when you want to visit.

Kevin Wilson

#4 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 31 May 2023 - 09:40 AM

I was out in my boat in the middle of the Potomac fishing for smallmouth bass and my buddy Glenn caught this guy, in pretty strong current, on a tube jig. It's a male longear with beautiful spawning coloration. What was interesting was his bed must have been close by, and there is a pretty fair amount of current there, not what I would have expected a longear spawning site to be. I've always caught this species along shoreline eddies in calm water or in creek mouths, never in the middle of the river. There was a huge bolder in 7' of water with a fallen tree wedged into it, and that's where this fish was. Pretty interesting, huh?

Glenn_Longear.jpg

And here's where he caught him, under the boat...

Upper_Potomac.jpg

Kevin Wilson

#5 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 01 June 2023 - 05:38 AM

Beautiful fish! Do you know how deep the spawning site was? I've heard that sunfish will spawn in deeper waters if the light and substrate allow if pressure is high.

"Amateurs can potentially make valuable contributions to our knowledge of fishes". - Etnier and Starnes

#6 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 01 June 2023 - 07:45 AM

It was 7' deep where we caught it, but not sure exactly if it was on a bed or not. The water was pretty clear, but I couldn't see the bottom in that deep of water. 

Kevin Wilson

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users