bowfin in koi pond

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:53 PM

Can bowfin be kept and maybe even bred in a 3000 gallon koi pond? My dad and I have decided to build a pond, and I was thinking about getting some to put in there with the koi.

#2 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:29 PM

Can bowfin be kept and maybe even bred in a 3000 gallon koi pond? My dad and I have decided to build a pond, and I was thinking about getting some to put in there with the koi.

Arent Koi those expensive goldfish? I think you could find a healthier and less expensive food for your bowfin.

#3 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:12 AM

If their is koi in the pond, it is going to be like a ticking time bomb before the bowfins tackle the overbred domesticated carp and eat them. It doesn't matter how big the respective fish are, the bowfins will be like leopards among lambs. If no koi are in it or if you want to get rid of the koi, then go ahead. Also, if you don't want the koi, just sell them. Big koi= BIG :mrgreen: $$
Seriously, I've seen these colorful carp go on Ebay for LOADS of money (A fish many here despise with good reasons: they aren't native, they make waters inhabitable for anything but catfish and themselves, among many more reasons.) What if those fish died during shipment?

#4 Guest_henryt_*

Guest_henryt_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

In our experience, not very easy to breed in captivity. We've had 7-8 adult bowfin, with 2-3 being males, brought in from different local lakes and place in a pond 80' X 30' X 3'. the pond has an abundant supply of fathead minnows, panfish and a few bass and plenty of weed cover and cattails etc. We have not observed any offspring in the pond for the last 3 years. At first we thought it would take a year or so for the bowfin to adapt. Not sure if adults spawn every year. Good luck!

#5 Guest_fishfool_*

Guest_fishfool_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:23 AM

hi, there's a bowfin angler organization called bowfinanglers.com and I bet you could find some help over there... those guys are huge though! what made you want them in your pond? -Fishfool @ The Reef Tank

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:05 PM

hi, there's a bowfin angler organization called bowfinanglers.com and I bet you could find some help over there... those guys are huge though! what made you want them in your pond? -Fishfool @ The Reef Tank

Some members here are also closely associated with both the Bowfin angler group and the sister organization Gar anglers sporting society.. (Both I'm a proud member of)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users