Beavertails

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:50 PM

Since I collected some beavertail fairy shrimp today, I decided to start a new topic to share some pics. These are magnificent creatures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:20 AM

Looks like she's carrying eggs.

#3 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:32 AM

Looks like she's carrying eggs.

Yep, those are cysts. Since they have a rather short lifespan of about 3 months almost every female you see will have cysts. I caught 3 of them yesterday- 2 females 1 male. They can see you coming and dive. They were in about 3-5 feet of water.

#4 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

Yep, those are cysts. Since they have a rather short lifespan of about 3 months almost every female you see will have cysts. I caught 3 of them yesterday- 2 females 1 male. They can see you coming and dive. They were in about 3-5 feet of water.

Cool! How long are these creatures? Looks like they have a flipper tail like a manatee. Cool!

#5 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:01 PM

Cool! How long are these creatures? Looks like they have a flipper tail like a manatee. Cool!

This species, Thamnocephalus platyurus, gets between 2 and 3 inches long. The Giant Fairy Shrimp, Branchinecta gigas, gets about 4-5 inches and is predatory on smaller fairy shrimp.

B. gigas
Posted Image

#6 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:30 PM

This species, Thamnocephalus platyurus, gets between 2 and 3 inches long. The Giant Fairy Shrimp, Branchinecta gigas, gets about 4-5 inches and is predatory on smaller fairy shrimp.

B. gigas
Posted Image

now that would make a cool species tank just dont stick your fingers in it :mrgreen:
btw how well do these guys ship?

#7 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:37 PM

btw how well do these guys ship?

That question is what brought me to this forum initially. Although Ive never shipped them, i hear they dont do well. They are found in temporary pools which have no current. I believe the stress of sloshing around might do them in. Or perhaps their fondness of light makes it difficult to survive in darkness during shipment. Your best bet for shipping is to either ship dirt collected from a dry pool, or if you have live specimens, wait until they drop their eggs, then dry the substrate and ship it. Add distilled water to the substrate, and within days you will have little ones swimming around.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

That is a seriously f****d up shrimp. Seriously. :-#

#9 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:04 PM

The term shrimp gives a false impression. Although they are crustaceans, they are like Brine shrimp minus the saltwater. They fall into a category called Branchiopods which also include
Daphnia
Posted Image
Tadpole shrimp
Posted Image
Posted Image
and Clam shrimp.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Subphylum: Crustacea
Class: Branchiopoda