NO DIY SECTION?

28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ethan_*

Guest_Ethan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:50 PM

A DIY topic link would be so popular and helpfull to all the patrons of this association. I know I sure could use some informative DIY help since I don't make alot of money these days. Plus it seems to me that about 80 percent of all the members just might be DIY type of people. :smile: So what you think?

#2 Guest_AndrewAcropora_*

Guest_AndrewAcropora_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:36 PM

This seems like an excellent idea to me!
Reefcentral.com has a DIY section, and it is one of my most frequented sections.

#3 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:54 PM

I also think that this would be a beneficial section

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2007 - 11:41 PM

We will look into it. But our mission is native fish, and the forum is pretty packed as it is. In the meantime general discussion, can handle any do it yourself ideas.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:33 PM

C'mon, dude! We want DYI! "Look into it", my arse!

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:45 PM

IMO...Just about everything we do as Nearctic fish hobbyists we do as DIY...why a new area for things already being done??? I feel this is already covered well in just about any of the subforums we have now...

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:06 PM

Beaten into submission... #-o

#8 Guest_Ethan_*

Guest_Ethan_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:32 PM

A DIY section would really be a powerfull and addictive tool to convert tropical fish hobbyists into avid native species keepers. I know it did me with my "DIY"curing of driftwood and my "DIY" surface skimmers and inline filters. But the problem is the fact that this DIY info I learned was on the tropical fish forums. :neutral: I want to get my "DIY" information from my new favorite site, wich is this one!! :mrgreen:

#9 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:07 AM

A DIY section would really be a powerfull and addictive tool to convert tropical fish hobbyists into avid native species keepers. I know it did me with my "DIY"curing of driftwood and my "DIY" surface skimmers and inline filters. But the problem is the fact that this DIY info I learned was on the tropical fish forums. :neutral: I want to get my "DIY" information from my new favorite site, wich is this one!! :mrgreen:

We are not going to smack you if you post in in the general area...All this is game on here...

#10 Guest_Ethan_*

Guest_Ethan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:25 PM

Ok fair enough, Its just that's alot of fishing for a DIY project. Be nice to have all in one area. But it's all good. :D/

#11 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:47 PM

Ok fair enough, Its just that's alot of fishing for a DIY project. Be nice to have all in one area. But it's all good. :D/

I'm actually a huge fan of a bazillion sub-forums (in theory). This way each topic can be tucked away in just the right spot. Great for the way I store files on my PC but difficult for members to post or even search sub forums. I always initially jump on this topic then realize the page length of our current forum is already sprawling. DIY threads can then also pop up in "nets and sampling gear" even if a DIY forum already exists. I guess I'm trying to say, there's no great way to deal with this issue other than asking members to title their DIY threads with "DIY". This will help reduce search time immensely :smile:

#12 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:50 PM

oops, double post

#13 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:52 PM

To see a real successful DIY post, visit cichlid forums DIY subject: 1122.08 GALLON TANK PROJECT!!! At this time it has 1,191 replies. I hate to see a perfect gar tank go to waste on storebought fish. If youre gonna build your own tank, you might as well catch your own fish.

http://www.cichlid-f...ic.php?t=103294

#14 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:57 AM

To see a real successful DIY post, visit cichlid forums DIY subject: 1122.08 GALLON TANK PROJECT!!! At this time it has 1,191 replies. I hate to see a perfect gar tank go to waste on storebought fish. If youre gonna build your own tank, you might as well catch your own fish.

http://www.cichlid-f...ic.php?t=103294

That is my buddies tank, it's awesome to see. I helped him fix it when it was leaking. He is actually doing a alot of good by taking in "storebought" fish that some may release into the wild:) See Monster Fish Rescue.

They do have an awesome DIY section over on Cichlid-fourm.com glad to see someone mention it. I would have except I just found this thread today.

Loaches.com has nice information for setting up a stream / rivertank click here!

Tom

#15 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:29 PM

Let's just follow Uland's advice: include "DIY" in the title of your post, then it will be easy to find with "search" no matter what sub-forum it appears in. And while on that topic, please give ALL your new post topics DESCRIPTIVE Titles that will make them useful for future reference. "Help Needed" or "What is This" or "Collecting Last Week" are NOT terribly useful titles. Great information and pix may get buried under cryptic headings, never to be seen by the folks who need it.

#16 Guest_Ethan_*

Guest_Ethan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:58 PM

hey that river selinoid is really cool. I spend most my time in DIY sections of forums. they are great.

#17 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:42 PM

Let's just follow Uland's advice:

Who is Uland?

#18 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:53 PM

Who is Uland?

Uland is Teleost.

#19 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:43 PM

Uland is Teleost.

Gotcha!

#20 Guest_mander_*

Guest_mander_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:35 AM

Hey!

This topic is over a YEAR old! That's a long time to think about it. Set a dead line and get'er done!

The heat of Summer is a poor time to collect, so why not do the computer thing now? And while at it, add that nifty little Herp forum.

:biggrin:

Thanks!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users