June 23, 2007 NE Ohio

15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:03 PM

I am wanting to get a trip together , and am wondering who may want to come.
I would like to do some sampling in the Grand river and it's tribs, in Lake, Geauga, and Ashtabula counties(see map), depending on who would like to look for what. I will plan the trip, and try to sample as much as possible. If need be sampling could continue on the following day as camping is possible at my house, or at several nearby campgrounds/hotels. I know this area, and am tired of sampling alone.

Let me know,

Tom

Plan is for Lake, Geauga, and Ashtabula counties.
We could also sample Trumbull, Portage, Cuyahoga, Summit counties as well.
tricounty.PNG

#2 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:07 PM

I would like to do some sampling in the Grand river and it's tribs, in Lake, Geauga, and Ashtabula counties

This will be pertinent:

http://www.epa.state...asinTSD2006.pdf
LOAD WARNING
The fish collection data begins on page 183. Deals with stream samples of the Grand river

#3 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:04 AM

I wouldn't mind joining you if you wanted to wait a week or two. I just got back from the convention. I spent money that I shouldn't have. I'm tapped out. I have a birthday to pay for; my daughter turns 9 on 6/24. No trips till after payday for me. We talked by PM about doing this, but I can't do it so soon. If someone else wants to join you on the 23rd, then great; I'll catch up with you later. But if you want to do 6/30, 7/7, or 7/14...

#4 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:54 AM

I wouldn't mind joining you if you wanted to wait a week or two. I just got back from the convention. I spent money that I shouldn't have. I'm tapped out. I have a birthday to pay for; my daughter turns 9 on 6/24. No trips till after payday for me. We talked by PM about doing this, but I can't do it so soon. If someone else wants to join you on the 23rd, then great; I'll catch up with you later. But if you want to do 6/30, 7/7, or 7/14...

We can reschedule, thats fine. Anyone else interested please let me know which of the dates 6/30, 7/7, or 7/14 works better for you.
Ed my wife has her birthday 6/22, and along with your daughter my birthday is 6/24 I'll be turning 26.

LET ME KNOW WHAT DAY WORKS FOR YOU ALL!

Tom
PM me for contact info.

#5 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:32 AM

There has to be more than Ed and myself interested in getting a collecting trip going.

Where is everybody?

Tom

#6 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:56 AM

A lot of people from Ohio went down for the NANFA convention. Some of them may not even be back home yet. You may also find that people have planned vacations during the summertime and therefor won't be around or can't get the additional time off.

#7 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

A lot of people from Ohio went down for the NANFA convention. Some of them may not even be back home yet. You may also find that people have planned vacations during the summertime and therefor won't be around or can't get the additional time off.

Thats why I chose a weekend, the majority of people have the weekend off.

#8 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:15 PM

Hey Tom,

I'm booked solid until August (and that's overlooking all the survey work I have to do before it's too cold). I'd like to get over to the Grand and dive a couple mussel beds, but I just don't see it happening this year. Sorry to not respond sooner, I was out at the Convention and this is the first chance I've had at the computer. I hope you can gather a group!

If you get over this way, give me a shout. I may be able to peel away (or want to! :) ) for a few hours.

Todd

#9 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:13 AM

Hey Tom,

I'm booked solid until August (and that's overlooking all the survey work I have to do before it's too cold). I'd like to get over to the Grand and dive a couple mussel beds, but I just don't see it happening this year. Sorry to not respond sooner, I was out at the Convention and this is the first chance I've had at the computer. I hope you can gather a group!

If you get over this way, give me a shout. I may be able to peel away (or want to! :) ) for a few hours.

Todd

I understand being busy, thats why I'm trying to plan.

Still noone other than edbihary huh?

Ed PM me with date that works for you.

Anyone can PM me anytime if youre gonna be out this way and want to get wet.

Tom

#10 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:03 PM

I understand being busy, thats why I'm trying to plan.

Still noone other than edbihary huh?

Ed PM me with date that works for you.

Anyone can PM me anytime if youre gonna be out this way and want to get wet.

Tom

I am new to NANFA and am working in Ashtabula (I work with ODNR DNAP and am conducting a Scenic River Designation Study on the Ashtabula River). I would be interested in some late afternoon/evening trips during the week. I would like to have some trips on the Ashtabula River also.

#11 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:42 PM

I am new to NANFA and am working in Ashtabula (I work with ODNR DNAP and am conducting a Scenic River Designation Study on the Ashtabula River). I would be interested in some late afternoon/evening trips during the week. I would like to have some trips on the Ashtabula River also.

I'm not likely to see you on a weekday evening; you're a little too far away for that. Maybe Tom may want to join you; I think he's pretty close to you. (Tom?) Tom and I are planning on meeting in the Grand River area on July 14. You, or any other interested parties, are welcome to join us. And I know your friend Mark will be in Ohio soon, although I don't know if on that day, but if so, maybe you can persuade him to come also! Hopefully we'll see you soon. Anybody else?

I've wondered whether the Ashtabula River would be worth investigating, or whether it was impacted by industry, etc. I wouldn't mind checking it out sometime, if you think it's worthwhile.

#12 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:34 PM

I'm not likely to see you on a weekday evening; you're a little too far away for that. Maybe Tom may want to join you; I think he's pretty close to you. (Tom?) Tom and I are planning on meeting in the Grand River area on July 14. You, or any other interested parties, are welcome to join us. And I know your friend Mark will be in Ohio soon, although I don't know if on that day, but if so, maybe you can persuade him to come also! Hopefully we'll see you soon. Anybody else?

I've wondered whether the Ashtabula River would be worth investigating, or whether it was impacted by industry, etc. I wouldn't mind checking it out sometime, if you think it's worthwhile.

The Ashtabula is a very overlooked river. Only the first 1.5 miles were impacted by industry (which is being cleaned up now). The rest of the river is BEAUTIFUL.
Starting in the City of Ashtabula is Indian Trails Park which has over 3.5 miles of public access to the river. Many steelheaders wade from Hadlock (river mile 10.0) downstream to Indian trails park and do not get asked to leave. It is a very good river to brush up on Id between the Sand & Mimic shiners (which I still need a scope for), bigeye chub (state declining species), many common darters (blackside, greenside, rainbow, johnny, fantail, etc...), loaded with rockbass & smallmouth, several lamprey's it is a nice river. I eventually will post a species list that I have been compiling from many sources.

#13 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:34 AM

The Ashtabula is a very overlooked river. Only the first 1.5 miles were impacted by industry (which is being cleaned up now). The rest of the river is BEAUTIFUL.
Starting in the City of Ashtabula is Indian Trails Park which has over 3.5 miles of public access to the river. Many steelheaders wade from Hadlock (river mile 10.0) downstream to Indian trails park and do not get asked to leave. It is a very good river to brush up on Id between the Sand & Mimic shiners (which I still need a scope for), bigeye chub (state declining species), many common darters (blackside, greenside, rainbow, johnny, fantail, etc...), loaded with rockbass & smallmouth, several lamprey's it is a nice river. I eventually will post a species list that I have been compiling from many sources.

Scenicrivers,

PM me about an evening /afternooon sampling trip.

#14 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

One really nice thing about the Ashtabula River is that the water levels are very managable for seining. Here are a couple pics of the Ashtabula. You have to be willing to walk some times, between riffles and pools, there are many areas of the river where the substrate is bedrock. By the way there are many good wineries up here.

#15 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:23 PM

One really nice thing about the Ashtabula River is that the water levels are very managable for seining. Here are a couple pics of the Ashtabula. You have to be willing to walk some times, between riffles and pools, there are many areas of the river where the substrate is bedrock. By the way there are many good wineries up here.

Okay, it looks very wadeable, even for a child. My 9-year-old daughter will be pleased to learn that. Okay, let's do it sometime, maybe in August or September.

#16 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:13 PM

Okay, it looks very wadeable, even for a child. My 9-year-old daughter will be pleased to learn that. Okay, let's do it sometime, maybe in August or September.

Just down from the covered bridge and smallwater fall in the pic above, I took my 10 year old daughter snorkeling and we seined a little and caught rainbow darters & stonecat madtoms.

Tom Glassburner and I may be going this coming thursday we will let you know what we find.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users