Where do I get darters from?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ken Johnson_*

Guest_Ken Johnson_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

It's been 25 years since I had a seining net and waders on. I would like to start a native tank with darters and some sticklebacks. Is there a place to purchase or acquire darters? I know where to get the sticklebacks.

#2 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:07 PM

First of all, where are you from? Update your profile with your location information. It will help people to properly answer your questions. You might even find somebody local willing to take you collecting.

Secondly, darters can be found in streams. What darters can be collected in what streams can be better answered if we knew where you are. But start here:
http://www.natureser...dHucs/index.jsp
http://www.natureser...let/NatureServe

You can also acquire them through trades (see the "Trading Dock" section of the forum), or through licensed dealers (see the "Commercial Vendors" section of the forum).

You can find a reputable dealer who is not on the forum here:
http://www.aquaculturestore.com/

#3 Guest_Ken Johnson_*

Guest_Ken Johnson_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:27 PM

It's been 25 years since I had a seining net and waders on. I would like to start a native tank with darters and some sticklebacks. Is there a place to purchase or acquire darters? I know where to get the sticklebacks.

I'm from Chicago Illinois. I will try to update my bio to indicate that. Thanks for the good advice and direction. I appreciate it.

#4 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:59 PM

I'm from Chicago Illinois. I will try to update my bio to indicate that. Thanks for the good advice and direction. I appreciate it.

This site may be of some use
http://www.inhs.uiuc...fishsplist.html

#5 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:57 PM

Welcome Ken,

I live in the South suburbs of Chicago. Keep your eyes peeled here and look for trips in the area. I'll be happy to have you help with sampling (I'm always looking for a buddy to drag a net with me). If you want darters to take home, look for Indiana trips since darters are off limits in Illinois if captured with anything other than hook and line. I might also recommend seeking a vendor or trading if you want a particular fish out of range.

#6 Guest_flamingo_*

Guest_flamingo_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:16 PM

The question is, where don't you find darters?

I have a few holding tanks with rainbows, iowas, johnny's, unidentifieds, fantails, etc. If your interested in trading, etc. just let me know. I can only manage flat rate shipping, but they're here :P
(all have been in my tanks for about a month or so, I have a few captive-bred rainbows also)

#7 Guest_4WheelVFR_*

Guest_4WheelVFR_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:43 PM

since darters are off limits in Illinois if captured with anything other than hook and line.

Where is this rule in IDNR's rules and regs handbook? I haven't seen it, please enlighten me on this.

#8 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:13 AM

Where is this rule in IDNR's rules and regs handbook? I haven't seen it, please enlighten me on this.

Very sorry to be the party pooper (not kidding) but............
Minnows are Cyprinids in this state and nothing else (not even Catostomids). A bait shop that sells sucker as bait is in violation of the law believe it or not and people cannot collect sucker as bait either.

Attached File  minnow_doc.jpg   130.44KB   0 downloads

#9 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:53 AM

Very sorry to be the party pooper (not kidding) but............
Minnows are Cyprinids in this state and nothing else (not even Catostomids). A bait shop that sells sucker as bait is in violation of the law believe it or not and people cannot collect sucker as bait either.

Forgive me Uland, but I don't see it. That text tells me how you may take minnows (specifically cyprinidae except carp and goldfish). It does not address darters. Or is that the point? Darters are not treated as baitfish, and are therefore by default sport fish? Is that what this means?

#10 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:57 AM

In IL, the only fish that can be taken by net are "minnows" which is clearly defined as Cyprinidae.

In VA, we are allowed to take "non-game fish", which is defined as not being a game fish or able to be caught by hook-n-line.

#11 Guest_4WheelVFR_*

Guest_4WheelVFR_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:47 AM

If Illinois' code is like Missouri, then the code tells you what you CAN do. I thought it was a code that tells what you CAN'T do. If it's the latter, then darters are ok to take. If it's the former, then darters are off limits.

#12 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:50 AM

In NC the list of "game fishes" (hook+line only) includes "... white perch, yellow perch, all other species of perch and pickerel ..." Note that it does NOT say all Percidae. So i specifically asked NC-WRC whether "all other species of perch" is meant to include darters, and was told No -darters are non-game fish and can be taken with nets (except those listed as E, T, or SC of course). I didnt bother asking about pirate "perch"

As these laws are written primarily for angling, feel free to ask your state fishery people how they interpret their regs if you find something ambiguous regarding collecting for aquarium use. If you're collecting for a school, nature center, festival, or other educational display, tell them why you're asking -- a conservation ed angle may gain you some credibility and patience from the wildlife agents.

In IL, the only fish that can be taken by net are "minnows" which is clearly defined as Cyprinidae.

In VA, we are allowed to take "non-game fish", which is defined as not being a game fish or able to be caught by hook-n-line.

#13 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:14 PM

Forgive me Uland, but I don't see it. That text tells me how you may take minnows (specifically cyprinidae except carp and goldfish). It does not address darters. Or is that the point? Darters are not treated as baitfish, and are therefore by default sport fish? Is that what this means?

Ed,

The only bait fish one can collect with nets in the state of Illinois are "minnows" as defined above. You may use other fish as bait, provided you capture them legally (hook and line).

This has nothing to do with game and non game fish. Darters are not game fish nor are they Cyprinids and therefore off limits.

Trust me on the fact that I wish this was not the case. I have no joy in informing forum members of the way Illinois deals with bait collection. I'm just happy I live close to Indiana.

#14 Guest_roscoe_*

Guest_roscoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2007 - 02:31 PM

Why is IL so protective of its non-game species?

#15 Guest_Ken Johnson_*

Guest_Ken Johnson_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:02 AM

Dear Flamingo- I would be interested in talking about some trading etc. for some Rainbow Darters

Dear Teleost- I would be interested in taking an Indiana trip

Does anyone have recommendations about the care of sticklebacks and the potential of a communitity tank with Darters and Sticklebacks. Compatability, Food, other special requirements?

My cell phone for Flamingo and Teleost is ***-*05-0947

#16 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:38 AM

Dear Teleost- I would be interested in taking an Indiana trip

Excellent! I must admit that I'll be busy over the next two weeks but by then we might get a handle on who wants to make the trip.

Does anyone have recommendations about the care of sticklebacks and the potential of a communitity tank with Darters and Sticklebacks. Compatability, Food, other special requirements?

Brook stickleback IMO are incompatible with everything. They have the nasty habit of removing the fins of fish 5 times their size. If they're unsuccessful in removing fins they keep every fish in the tank constantly moving. Other fish become agitated with the never ending nipping. I might also add they can be very difficult to remove from a tank once introduced. All this being said....they are an interesting fish if you don't mind setting up a small species only tank, you'll enjoy them. The fish I've kept preferred live foods. This is just one guys opinion so take this with a grain of salt :wink:

My cell phone for Flamingo and Teleost is ***-***-****

I'm not sure posting your telephone number is a good idea. I'll not tell you that you can't post it but I should remind you this is a public forum.

#17 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:38 AM

My cell phone for Flamingo and Teleost is XXX-XXX-XXXX

I suggest that you edit your post and remove this information. The WHOLE WORLD can read it, including telemarketers, spammers, etc. I suggest that you provide this information via Private Message only.

#18 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:46 AM

I suggest that you edit your post and remove this information. The WHOLE WORLD can read it, including telemarketers, spammers, etc. I suggest that you provide this information via Private Message only.

I went in and edited the post. This will give Ken a chance to add it later if he so choses. For all I know you (Ken) have some sort of outstanding method of eliminating unwanted calls.

#19 Guest_Ken Johnson_*

Guest_Ken Johnson_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will take it. Can someone explain how to do a private message? Sorry to be a pest.

#20 Guest_Ken Johnson_*

Guest_Ken Johnson_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:57 PM

Nevermind. I figured it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users