Slenderhead Darter Feeding

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:10 PM

About 3 days ago I captured a Slenderhead Darter (about 2'') and put it in a bucket to wait for a tank that I'm setting up. I read on the forum that darters may take flakes or freeze dried bloodworms, but so far I've only actually seen him eat one tiny portion of a bloodworm. When I feed (or turn off the bubbler) he surfaces and gulps at the surface and some food particles (which he often misses). What should I do to make sure this guy is eating? Am I giving him the right stuff? How long can he go without food? The ammonia in one bucket spiked already so I'm trying to feed him small amounts in the new one, but...

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:22 PM

I would plan on changing all of the water daily....Make a pail of dechlorinate tap water now and aerate it overnight. Plan on doing this every 24 hours until the tank is cycled. During this time I would feed frozen shrimp. My slenderheads seem to prefer frozen over even the best dry food. In time slenderheads will eat good freeze dried food with the right tank mates.

#3 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:36 PM

I would plan on changing all of the water daily....Make a pail of dechlorinate tap water now and aerate it overnight. Plan on doing this every 24 hours until the tank is cycled. During this time I would feed frozen shrimp. My slenderheads seem to prefer frozen over even the best dry food. In time slenderheads will eat good freeze dried food with the right tank mates.

How do I feed the frozen shrimp... thaw and then put one in at a time? Is this frozen bait shrimp or chunks of frozen cocktail-type shrimp? Thanks for the quick response.

#4 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:47 PM

Either frozen krill, mysis or market shrimp. They can't tear pieces off like a toothy fish, so you'll have to chop the market shrimp fine (bite size pieces) if you plan on using this as food. I would stay away from cooked shrimp (cocktail) and stick with raw (again if you use use market shrimp).

#5 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:55 PM

Either frozen krill, mysis or market shrimp. They can't tear pieces off like a toothy fish, so you'll have to chop the market shrimp fine (bite size pieces) if you plan on using this as food. I would stay away from cooked shrimp (cocktail) and stick with raw (again if you use use market shrimp).

Thanks a lot... I'm going to get some right now. :D

#6 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:25 AM

anything special with the presentation? the fish didn't even seem to notice the tiny chunks of shrimp. might the problem be that he's in a white bucket? :S

#7 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:28 AM

anything special with the presentation? the fish didn't even seem to notice the tiny chunks of shrimp. might the problem be that he's in a white bucket? :S

White bucket isn't good. If you have a dark bucket, that would be better. If not dark gravel in the bottom is better than nothing. A lid is also a good idea.

Make sure and remove ALL uneaten food, as this will only contribute to water quality issues.

#8 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:58 PM

He took a piece of shrimp earlier... thanks a lot; I guess I was just being paranoid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users