How many minnows in a tank?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:26 PM

I've been keeping a group of three sailfin shiners for about a year without much problems, they would chase each other around a bit and display, but nothing too aggressive. Recently the largest one died and one of the remaining two continually attacked the other until it had bitten off most of its tail and it soon died. So the question is: Is there a minimum number of shiners that I need to have to avoid any one fish from receiving all of the aggression? I am having similar problems with my ironcolor shiners (a group of three) I had to separate one fish from the rest because it became too aggressive with all of my fish, but particularly with its own kind. Any thoughts on what I should do?

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, the short answer is get 10 or 12, or a similar number of other shiners. You have to give them too many targets to chase.

#3 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:05 PM

Fundulus is right but keep in mind that the size of the tank and the maintanance you put into must always be considered with stocking more fish.

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:02 PM

What size tank are you speaking of? In my 30g, I currently have about 13 shiners and 7 topminnows and don't have any issues.

I recently had 6 greenfin shiners in a similar 30g and the largest male would chase everyone around and dominated the center of the tank.

There is no good answer as it will vary with species, tank size, and tank maintenance. I personally try to start with groups of 5-6 and see how that goes.

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:12 PM

In my public display shiner tank, a 20-gallon, I have 15 scarlet shiners, a striped shiner, and a creek chub. I haven't seen any aggression, at worst the creek chub is a hyperactive feeder.

#6 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:38 PM

What size tank are you speaking of? In my 30g, I currently have about 13 shiners and 7 topminnows and don't have any issues.

I recently had 6 greenfin shiners in a similar 30g and the largest male would chase everyone around and dominated the center of the tank.

There is no good answer as it will vary with species, tank size, and tank maintenance. I personally try to start with groups of 5-6 and see how that goes.

Its a 45 gallon with 1 blackstripe topminnow, 1 golden topminnow, 2 bluefin killifish, 2 swamp darters, 1 mosquitofish, 1 sailfin shiner and 2 ironcolor shiners, so I definetly have room for a few more fish

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users