How to avoid leeches...

21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:32 PM

I've seen a bunch of them lately and I dunno whether they bite or not but I'd rather not come home with a bunch stuck to me. I usually just wear water shoes and roll up my pants when I'm wading, so what can I do to keep myself from being ''attacked?'' ;) None have gotten me so far (knock on wood) but I've seen a few in the stream that I've been visiting.

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

If you are that afraid of them getting on you, why not just wear long pants?

#3 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:58 PM

Will that stop them? :S I don't really know how aggressive they are etc. Can they get into your clothes?

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:12 PM

I can't make any promises, but your chances of getting them will be slim. Just don't wear bell-bottoms.

#5 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:37 PM

Haha thanks

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:29 PM

I don't worry about it. If I pick up a leech or two I still have plenty of blood left! Usually they dry up and drop off. Now, if it's one of those deals like in the movie "Stand By Me", well, I wouldn't be interested in volunteering for such an experience.

#7 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:17 PM

Waders will certainly do the trick.

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:27 PM

Yeah, but we all know the rap on people who wear waders in warm weather (except in salt marshes)!

#9 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:32 PM

Yeah, but we all know the rap on people who wear waders in warm weather (except in salt marshes)!

What lives in salt marshes that waders should be worn?

#10 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:34 PM

...(except in salt marshes)!

Notice he's got to carve out an exception for himself :wink:

#11 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:37 PM

It's not animals like leeches, but rather the mud and random crapola embedded in it, along with the Spartina grasses which can irritate if not cut your skin. Leeches are easy, you just yank them off when you leave the water.

Maybe we should start a separate thread about odd snake encounters in the water.

#12 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:12 PM

Maybe I'm just weird....(OK I know I am) but I rather like finding a few new leeches for the collection from time to time on my ankles :smile: ...Long pants tucked into some boots or high wall wading shoes works very well to avoid this.

Maybe we should start a separate thread about odd snake encounters in the water.

I would love to hear some of these...I have some pretty good ones myself...But then like the Leeches I seek those out also :P

#13 Guest_Atratus_*

Guest_Atratus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:04 PM

I've always though of leeches as part of the hobby and something that you ought not worry about. Besides they seem to be a pretty clean parasite. As far as snakes go, I also actively look for them.

#14 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:21 PM

Spoken like a true southerner! Consider yourself an honorary member of the Catfish Alliance!

#15 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:16 AM

The best way to avoid leeches is to stay out of the water! :mrgreen:

#16 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:14 PM

The best way to avoid leeches is to stay out of the water! :mrgreen:

No way am I gonna do that :rolleyes:

#17 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:44 PM

leeches...

i get them a little too often while snorkeling. they really seem to like back water areas and now i can almost always predict where and when i will get into them.
harmless... well i guess so, but they leave a nasty welp on me for a week or even two. hard and oozy and itches like crazy for about a week.
you can scratch them off or grab a salt shaker which was the case once while sitting in a restaurant after snorkeling the conasauga. freaked my wife and her friend out while we ate cheeseburgers. another time i was wearing my shorty and was covered from the knees and elbows out with hundreds of tiny leeches. they were starting to get under my fingernails. i freaked and started clawing and rubbing everywhere but i dont recall that instance making any kind of skin reaction. maybe i got them off quick enough. its a good reason to wear a fullbody suit. yesterday i was just wearing swim shots and got an itch, sure enough one was a wee bit to close to a place i would prefer it not to be.
i dont like them but i dont think they do anything like lyms disease or rocky mountain tick fever. just a nasty mark and memory.
some leeches look pretty cool... take a close look at them. sometimes their bodies will be swarming with babies. i dont see them on fish often but turtles yes.
cool and scarry b-movie... attack of the giant leeches, roger corman 1960.
casper

#18 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:15 PM

I've always though of leeches as part of the hobby and something that you ought not worry about. Besides they seem to be a pretty clean parasite. As far as snakes go, I also actively look for them.

If there where snakes here I would look for them.

#19 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:22 PM

There are snakes in WI, they're just not very big or dangerous.

#20 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:03 AM

there are snakes here too, but i haven't been able to catch them... yet

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users