Shipping fish

20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:28 AM

So I had my local postal office tell me that you can not ship fish! I knew that you could, but I didn't argue because I didn't have the law in writing. Does anyone know this law or could point me in the direction of where to find it?

After this experience, I was turning boxes inside out and just writing Fragile on them. Also with arrows, to which side needed to be up. Sometimes they would ask what was in it, sometimes not. I told them they were water samples... and they seemed okay with that. Yesterday, I got an email saying that one order had been crushed, the top was wet and almost all were DOA's.

This leads to my next question .. anyone know about reimbursements through USPS Priority Mail?

Thanks

Brian and Julie Zimmerman

#2 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:54 AM

you can find what you are looking for right here

http://pe.usps.com/t...tml#vnameref_16

#3 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:05 AM

That really sucks :(

Poor fish, what all fish died?

#4 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:44 AM

So I had my local postal office tell me that you can not ship fish! I knew that you could, but I didn't argue because I didn't have the law in writing. Does anyone know this law or could point me in the direction of where to find it?

After this experience, I was turning boxes inside out and just writing Fragile on them. Also with arrows, to which side needed to be up. Sometimes they would ask what was in it, sometimes not. I told them they were water samples... and they seemed okay with that. Yesterday, I got an email saying that one order had been crushed, the top was wet and almost all were DOA's.

This leads to my next question .. anyone know about reimbursements through USPS Priority Mail?

Thanks

We mail all of our fish through a subcontractor for USPS. He never asks any questions. I have mailed several times through the PO directly and they have never had an issue with it. They ask me if it is liquid, fragile or perishable and I generally tell them, yes, to all three.

I don't believe there is any guarantee involved with Priority. There is with Express but only for the cost of shipping. We never guarantee any shipments made via Priority, only with Express, to account for this.

#5 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:56 AM

you can find what you are looking for right here

http://pe.usps.com/t...tml#vnameref_16

Exactly. Or you can download a copy of USPS Publication 52 here:
http://www.usps.com/.../pubs/pub52.pdf

Refer to Section 526.6.

I just shipped fish the other day. I told the man at the counter that there were fish in the box. I also explained that they were packed in accordance with 526.6. "Aquarium fish?" "Exactly." "Did you sell them on eBay?" "No, I'm just trading them. He's sent me fish before, too." "Oh, okay." Not a problem.

I think you have the right idea, Brian. You just need to educate the man about the USPS's own regulations, and let him know that you've complied with those regulations when you packed them.

I don't know what to say about the damaged box. I think we'll all be waiting to hear if you get any resolution on that, if it's even possible.

#6 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:17 PM

Well thanks for all the advice and the USPS regulations on shipping fish. I will be stopping in and letting them know that fish can be shipped and we will see about the damage reimbursement. I'm not so optimistic about that though. This is the first time I have ever had a damaged box that was crushed and the top side was soaked. There were 7 bowfin: 5 were doa, and the rest died from stress the next day.
We will see what happens. Thanks

#7 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:09 PM

When I went to my local post office they looked up the regulation for shipping fish, they told me how to do it, and I brought the boxes the next day and mailed them with no problem. I think your post office needs some enlightenment. I just shipped some fish last week and they asked me the usuall questions " liquids, perishables, or fragile. I said yes to all three and I told them it was pet fish, I even went further and told them about what I do, and they said to me "oh how nice" So unless things have changed since last week I do not see where the problem is. I also made up some labels in photoshop of the regulation, taped them to the boxes in several places and the young lady behind the counter said " Oh you have done this before very good ". Then she stamped the boxs in several places with the appropiate stamps and off they went. One went a long ways off and they all arrived safe and happy.

You can purchase insurance for your shipments, very inexpensive but then you would have to raise your price. But I do not know how you go about putting a value on a fish. But they do ask what it is and the value. They may not even sell insurance for that type of shipment. I just know you can buy insurance for other stuff like my camera I broke and had to send in.

Daniel

#8 Guest_jrpatter_*

Guest_jrpatter_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:21 AM

USPS does not insure live stock even if you buy the insurance. They do not follow any this side up etc markings. You said the top of the box was wet. They can claim that you didnt not use enough absorbant material and that you did not have a waterproof liner. If this is the case then the local postmaster can actually ban you from shipping fish in the future. Just be careful.

John

#9 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:33 PM

Well thanks for all the advice and the USPS regulations on shipping fish. I will be stopping in and letting them know that fish can be shipped and we will see about the damage reimbursement. I'm not so optimistic about that though. This is the first time I have ever had a damaged box that was crushed and the top side was soaked. There were 7 bowfin: 5 were doa, and the rest died from stress the next day.
We will see what happens. Thanks

That's horrible :( bowfins are such a cool fish.

#10 Guest_gkimber2_*

Guest_gkimber2_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:58 AM

I don't label anything as 'live fish' anymore.

Once I sent something to a friend in California and the box was labeled 'tropical fish'. Three days later I got a note from the carrier that some post master between Lexington KY and Santa Barbara CA had decided that I couldn't ship fish and that they were on their way back. Total time in transit was 6 days and the water was about 80 degrees when I opened the box to find mostly dead darters.

I used 'tropical fish' because that is the specific phrase mentioned in the USPS shipping regs.

Now I just label boxes as 'fragile' and call it a day. Not that I ship all that much any more.

#11 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:28 AM

A recent shipment I received was delayed because it was marked with "Live Fish". They actually attached a HAZMAT sheet to the box. I've never had a problem in the past year going back and forth with the shipper. Earlier this year I had a shipment from NC (I live in VA), take a full 5 days to get to me. Needless to say with the recent temperature, I had some losses.

#12 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:49 PM

I've had bad experiences when marking boxes as "live fish". Most never make it and those that do are often delayed. I had good luck when I started shipping fish when marked as live but later I had problems. I now just mark "fragile" and cross my fingers.

This is silly since it's completely within the law to ship fish via the usps.

#13 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:58 PM

I've had bad experiences when marking boxes as "live fish". Most never make it and those that do are often delayed. I had good luck when I started shipping fish when marked as live but later I had problems. I now just mark "fragile" and cross my fingers.

US snail mail works for me I ship fish all the time

#14 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:20 PM

I used to mark mine live fish but had a very high rate of bashed boxes. Since I've stopped I've had no bashed boxes in about three years. It seems the live fish label is just too much of a challenge.

#15 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:56 PM

That's why I mark mine "Packed in accordance with USPS Code Section 526.6". I cite the law, so they know they are legal. I don't actually put "live fish", or anything like that, on the box, I just cite the applicable code. If they don't know the code, they are free to look it up, then they'll know the contents are legal. When asked, I tell them exactly what's in the box, and mention the code. Never a problem yet.

#16 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:02 AM

Well thanks to your advice and information, I printed out the regulations stating that you can ship fish. I printed LIVE FISH all over the box, and took it in to be shipped. The lady looked at me when I put the box on the counter again. I told her I would like 2 day priority and placed the brightly colored regulation on the counter under my hand. ( I had highlighted the regulation stating you can ship fish) ... and nothing else was said. I go in now and no matter who I talk to they accept the package.. so i'm thinking they had a little meeting. Now you know how it turned out. Thanks!!

Julie Zimmerman

#17 Guest_4WheelVFR_*

Guest_4WheelVFR_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:30 PM

The few times I've shipped fish, I just mark the package fragile all over the place and cross my fingers. Nothing bad has happened yet.....*knocks on wood*.

#18 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:43 AM

I think the biggest thing with shipping fish is doing it right. I personaly put the 3/4 in foam they use on houses and line the entire inside of the box. Then I use a garbage bag { big lawn leaf one } and put it in the foam. Then the fish go into one half tank water and one half water prepared with bag buddies and a little stress coat. Then the fish go into kordon breather bags x two. I double the bags per instructions. Then I simply wrap each bag with news paper. The one and only time I had a major disaster it was totaly my fault by being cheap. I tried to stuff to many fish in one box.

By the way this has nothing to do with the laws of the PO but on how I ship my fish. But I know you do this already since I have recieved fish from you. Keep up the good work.

Daniel

#19 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:28 AM

I think the biggest thing with shipping fish is doing it right. I personaly put the 3/4 in foam they use on houses and line the entire inside of the box. Then I use a garbage bag { big lawn leaf one } and put it in the foam. Then the fish go into one half tank water and one half water prepared with bag buddies and a little stress coat. Then the fish go into kordon breather bags x two. I double the bags per instructions. Then I simply wrap each bag with news paper. The one and only time I had a major disaster it was totaly my fault by being cheap. I tried to stuff to many fish in one box.

By the way this has nothing to do with the laws of the PO but on how I ship my fish. But I know you do this already since I have recieved fish from you. Keep up the good work.

Daniel

I looked uo Kordon Breather bags on the web & one sight said not to dubble the bags. They don't breath right if you do.

Mike

#20 Guest_p3purr_*

Guest_p3purr_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:43 AM

I looked uo Kordon Breather bags on the web & one sight said not to dubble the bags. They don't breath right if you do.

Mike

You're right, the Kordon bags aren't meant to be doubled but they do have a 3 ml thick liner bag that's used for fish that have the potential to puncture the Kordon bag with it's fins.

Patricia

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users