madtom question

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:32 PM

are there any madtoms that will be content moving around and being active when the lights are on, I heard they are a fish that likes darkness.

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:26 PM

From my experience, margined madtoms will sometimes come out when there are lights on to eat. I've also kept tadpoles, speckled, and mountain and margined are the easiest to coax out.

#3 Guest_4WheelVFR_*

Guest_4WheelVFR_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:56 PM

Most Slender Madtoms that I've kept have been pretty active with lights on.

#4 Guest_bflowers_*

Guest_bflowers_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:04 PM

I have had Brindled Madtoms come out during daylight hours. Especially if they smell food.

Bill F.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:02 PM

I'll second that... I've had margined madtoms in the past, and they learned to come out for food... never really saw them much, otherwise, but they would ocme out every day when I fed the tank.

On the other hand, I put a small (inch or so) unidentified madtom in my 75 gallon display tank and never saw it again... until recently when I tore the tank down and redecorated and was surprised to fina a 3 plus inch catfish... netted him out and clearly identified him as a speckled... fixed the tank the way I wanted and put him back in... never saw him again... so now I know there is a madtom in there... have kept him for about a year and a half, have seen him twice.

From my experience, margined madtoms will sometimes come out when there are lights on to eat. I've also kept tadpoles, speckled, and mountain and margined are the easiest to coax out.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_roscoe_*

Guest_roscoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:43 PM

Most of the catfish I've ever had anything to do with would hide until they sensed it was feeding time and then they would emerge from their hiding spot and eat. This includes probably all the madtoms I've had over the years.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users