Kentucky trip

23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:53 PM

Dates: Friday August 3rd thru Sunday August 5th.

Place Daniel Boone National forest near Beattyville Kentucky

Kentucky river drainage.

Potential fish species:
Upper Kentucky and Red river. http://www.natureser...jsp?huc=5100204
North fork Kentucky river. http://www.natureser...jsp?huc=5100201
Middle fork Kentucky river. http://www.natureser...jsp?huc=5100202
South fork Kentucky river. http://www.natureser...jsp?huc=5100203

There are several sensitive species in Kentucky which will fall into a catch, photo, and release category. These can be found here. http://www.naturepre...7/0/ets2004.pdf

#2 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:21 PM

D'you think I could come watch? :S I'm just a kid and I don't really know very much, but I'm only 2 hours away from there so I could maybe drive down for a day if my parents won't let me stay there.

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

Okay first weekend in August it is. I am working on the sites. Looks like we will be staying entirely on a single page in the KY gazetteer. Pg. 53 We will hit the upper kentucky, the north fork of the kentucky, middle fork of the kentucky, south fork of the kentucky, and the red river.. We will have the potential of seeing 23 species of darters alone in this area, including arrow darter. I am in contact with a Kentucky fish and game biologist, as well as an aquatic zoologist with Kentucky nature preserves, who are willing to provide some recent collection data, which will expedite the site selections. I will keep you guys posted

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:13 PM

D'you think I could come watch? :S I'm just a kid and I don't really know very much, but I'm only 2 hours away from there so I could maybe drive down for a day if my parents won't let me stay there.

well, you can watch if you like, or get in the water and help find the fish.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:53 PM

I am planning on staying at Turkey foot campground. It lies on the banks of Warfork creek, which is a stocked trout stream. Bring rod and reel if you want to spend a bit of time in the morning or evenings angling. A trout stamp is required if you want to keep trout. It is a free campground with pit toilets only. Bring your own water.
http://www.fs.fed.us...amplondon.shtml

Fishing license and regulations can be found here. http://fw.ky.gov/Nav...ion.asp?cid=101

Hotels are available in nearby Beattyville. http://www.google.co...kentucky hotels

I cleaned up this thread a bit to keep it easy to read. Now that the dates have been chosen, please respond only if you are interested in attending this event, or have something pertinent to add. Thanks Matt

#6 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

I'd like to let it be known that I will definitely be attending. I assume you're planning on camping, Matt? I am also going to try to get my friends John (Inseiner) and Mike (paoutlaw13) to go with!

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:39 PM

Great Nate, we could use the extra hands, we need several guys in the water to provide the photo man whoever that may be with specimens. And yes, I am camping, I provided the link to the campground, which is FREE! Sounds like Ed is confirmed also.

Edit; Crap, totally politically incorrect. we need several people in the water so the photo person has specimens.

#8 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:47 PM

Sounds like Ed is confirmed also.

Edit; Crap, totally politically incorrect. we need several people in the water so the photo person has specimens.

Yes, Ed will be there, and Holly too. Are your kids coming too, Matt?

Who cares about PC, I like the way you wrote it the first time :wink: The use of the masculine gender is grammatically correct when either gender is possible; it is not gender exclusive.

Thanks for putting this together, Matt.

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

FOOD. I will provide dinner for all on Saturday night. Sorry, no vegetarian entree.Aside from that you guys are on your own. I suggest a quick breakfast. We do not wan't to wait around while your omlette cooks. Think powerbars, and instant coffee. Lunch on the fly, so be prepared with your favorite lunchmeat or what not. Bring plenty of water, our campgrounds do not have potable water. Also for those of you who might enjoy an adult beverage around the campfire, bring that from home, as this part of KY is full of dry counties.

#10 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:47 AM

Checking the species list...sign me up for a pair of Gilt Darters.

#11 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:42 PM

Maps to campground, where we will meet. I plan on arriving at our campground around 7 am Friday morning. I need to get there early to insure that we get a few sites. I know this is too early to expect people traveling longer distances. I will plan on remaining at the site until noon or one o clock. There will be plenty for me to do as War fork flows through the campground. It is a trout stream, but I cannot find a single law in KY saying it is illegal to seine a trout stream. Believe me I have looked.
I am sure that my cell phone will not work at the campground, so please be there by one. Should you get held up I will leave a map to our first collecting site inside the large North Face dome tent. I am sure it will be the only one in the campgrounds.

Thanks to Uland for the maps!

Attached Images

• overview_MS_map.JPG
  • berea_MS_map.JPG
  • Mckee_MS_map.JPG

#12 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:34 AM

I think I'm actually going to come! it sounds like I'll have that weekend off from work and my wife said I could go play!

#13 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:56 AM

I think I'm actually going to come! it sounds like I'll have that weekend off from work and my wife said I could go play!

Great Brian, we will look forward to seeing you.

#14 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:23 AM

I am sure that my cell phone will not work at the campground, so please be there by one. Should you get held up I will leave a map to our first collecting site inside the large North Face dome tent. I am sure it will be the only one in the campgrounds.

If you already know the site, perhaps you can e-mail the map to those who have responded affirmatively, so any latecomers can go straight there, without wasting the time of going to the campground looking for the map. Just the same, I'd prefer not to be late :wink:

Good to see you'll be there, Brian, and Nate too!

#15 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:36 PM

Fishing license and regulations can be found here. http://fw.ky.gov/Nav...ion.asp?cid=101

Whoaaaa! Non-Resident, 7-Day Fishing License, $30!
http://fw.ky.gov/lic...th=C128C199C295

A 1-Day Fishing license is $10, so if you are not going to be there for all three days, then get one or two of those. If you'll be there all three days, you might as well just get the 7-Day license.

#16 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:02 PM

Okay people who are going. Just received stream sampling data from Kentucky fish and game. This data covers a three county area around our campsite. This is stream by stream sampling with species, and numbers of individuals. If anyone is interested in reviewing this info, send me an email at delavega31973@gmail.com, and I will forward it to you. It would be much more useful if you had a Kentucky gazetteer sitting in front of you as well.

#17 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

I'll shoot for this trip Matt. I can't make a solid commitment on this one yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

#18 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:00 PM

Cool! I hope you make it. This is shaping up to be a good trip with some great guys working the nets.

#19 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

Okay, here is the rough agenda. I say rough because I am open to suggestions.

Friday will be the small stream day, my intent is to hit creek chub sized streams in search of Arrow darter. There are many in the vicinity of our campgrounds, we should move quickly through these sites. Once the goal is realized, we can decide amongst ourselves how to fill out the day.

Saturday. We will hit the main branch of the Kentucky, as well as its three forks. Great darter possibilities, and some nice madtoms, as well as many nodescript silvery types.

Sunday Break camp, and head north to the Red. Beautiful scenery. I can almost guarantee frecklebelly darters here. Also the local small streams have plenty of SRBD. Redside, and roseyside dace are also a possibility. This is where the hybrid Redside/ SRBD that I posted a photo came from. We will explore the red river gorge until every one needs to leave.

I think everyone has my cell number. If not PM me.

At this point it sounds like the Tessler/Zimmerman crew is crashing at my place thursday evening, and following me down early Friday morning. I am sure once we pitch tents we won't be able to resist getting in the water. So for anyone else coming, we will be back at the campgrounds by noon. I believe Uland won't be rolling in until evening.

I am excited! We are gonna see some cool fish!!

#20 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:40 PM

I hate to do this because I am always very disapointed when others say they can come to one of these and then back out but it seems I have double planned myself for being places that weekend. The good news is they are both fish related but the bad news is the other was first. I am participating in the local aquarium clubs show and auction on both saturday and sunday. I could cancel my participation in that but I feel like I could promote our hobby a little, spend less money (very important since I'll be unemployed come the end of october), and I have been to KY on a collecting trip once this year already. I am sorry to disapoint anyone but I'm sure there will be a next time. I look forward to seeing the photos and a report, I'm sure it's going to be a great trip.

Brian

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users