Two questions about brown bullheads

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_vasiliy_*

Guest_vasiliy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:23 PM

I have found that after about a month in my aquarium my bullhead has developed "notches" in the caudal and anal fins. They look like some parasite is starting to eat parts of the tail. I have tried using Melafix but it has little effect. Is there a good solution for this?

Also, I have tried to catch a few small brown bullhead for my aquarium in the 3-4 inch range, but all I get are bullheads from 7 to 10 inches. Does anyone know a good way to catch the small ones in particular?

#2 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:45 AM

To get smaller bullheads: 1) you could try to snag a couple out of a fry "cloud" using a hand net. You need to work quietly and slowly, but it can be done. These will be small, maybe 1 inch. 2) For slightly larger fish, I was always able to catch one or two hanging out under boats. Push the boat just barely agound (tie it up!). The next morning, quickly slide the boat out deeper and be ready with a dip net to catch whatever is exposed. 3) A seine or dip net dragged through shallow vegetation might yield something interesting (maybe even a bullhead). 4) I have never tried it, but maybe leave a minnow trap out overnight, baited with something stinky? (Probably would be full of crayfish the next morning.)

#3 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:03 AM

Actually, I've seen minnow traps work really well for this. We caught hundreds of juvenile brown bullheads literally overnight. No crayfish to speak of, but the individuals in the area we were sampling were lobster-sized monsters that probably couldn't have gotten into the traps if they wanted to.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:46 PM

I have found that after about a month in my aquarium my bullhead has developed "notches" in the caudal and anal fins. They look like some parasite is starting to eat parts of the tail. I have tried using Melafix but it has little effect. Is there a good solution for this?

Are your water changes frequent?

#5 Guest_vasiliy_*

Guest_vasiliy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

I do a 100% water change every 1 or 2 months.

#6 Guest_WRS24_*

Guest_WRS24_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:59 PM

i caught my bullheads with a simple rake everytime id go at them with the net theyd dig them selves into the mud so i used a rake and now i have two 2 inche bullheads

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:10 PM

I do a 100% water change every 1 or 2 months.

A 100% water change is not good. Try doing more frequent, and smaller changes. If I were to put it on an average time frame, I would say that I do a 25% weekly. Often more, sometimes I go a couple weeks, and do a 50-75%. Any 100% change is going to remove way too much good bacteria from the tank. This will cause your tank to re-cycle.

#8 Guest_vasiliy_*

Guest_vasiliy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:43 PM

Thankyou for awaring me about the useful bacteria and why I should do a more frequent water change but change less water. But if I do that, how do I remove the silt and other things that accumulate on the bottom of my tank? I thought about using an undergravel filter but I also keep a weather loach and I'm worried that he can get under it but not back out and die.

#9 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:36 PM

i caught my bullheads with a simple rake everytime id go at them with the net theyd dig them selves into the mud so i used a rake and now i have two 2 inche bullheads

I have found that rakes cause notches in the fins...

#10 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:07 PM

Thankyou for awaring me about the useful bacteria and why I should do a more frequent water change but change less water. But if I do that, how do I remove the silt and other things that accumulate on the bottom of my tank? I thought about using an undergravel filter but I also keep a weather loach and I'm worried that he can get under it but not back out and die.

Use a siphon attached to a hose to comb through the gravel and suck out the debris. You should be able to find them pretty easily at any pet store.

#11 Guest_vasiliy_*

Guest_vasiliy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:33 PM

Thankyou, I remember I have one of those things from somewhere: I wouldn't have thought of using it for that purpose. I think that that problem should be solved by now. Thankyou everybody for the replies.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users