Arctic grayling

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_vasiliy_*

Guest_vasiliy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:01 PM

I am wondering: has anyone kept grayling in their aquarium? I know that while grayling in lakes prefer deeper water than grayling in rivers, and that river grayling eat insects that fall into the water from the surface, but can they adapt to a home aquarium?

#2 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:05 PM

I would say they would be about equal to keeping trout, except they like water thats even colder. So unless you have enough money to set up a big tank with a chiller I doubt they would be very easy to keep.

#3 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:48 PM

If you happen to wind up in Edmonton, Alberta, the Royal Museum of Alberta has a tank dedicated to grayling. Quite spectacular. I could have spent a long, long time hanging out watching them. Much easier than freezing your cajones off snorkeling anywhere in their native range. Actually, all of their tanks were well laid-out, well-maintained, and had some really cool critters. It might be worth a trip just for that.

If you're just jonesing to see some grayling, and want to do a road trip, there's a reservoir on the front range of the Rockies a bit W of Fort Collins that has an introduced population (along with native greenback cutthroats). Clear water and good snorkeling if you're so inclined...

Cheers,
Dave

#4 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:10 PM

I would say it would be really cool if someone here set up a huge (like 160-200 gallon) tank or pond for a school of about five brook trout, a pair of grayling and some big sculpins. You would either need a chiller or a cold room like a basement, but that would be a really unique tank. You could also simulate a river by making an artifical current. Sweet. :cool2:

P.S: Sorry this topic is null, but I still say that is an awesome idea.

Edited by catfish_hunter, 17 April 2008 - 06:13 PM.

#5 Guest_redfinpickerel_*

Guest_redfinpickerel_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:23 PM

if u decide to get a grayling ur gonna want a big tank with very cold clear water

#6 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:57 AM

if u decide to get a grayling ur gonna want a big tank with very cold clear water

Have you kept grayling yourself?

Why bring up an old thread and state what has pretty much already been said?

#7 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

That's what I was wondering about it, especially there was three posters gave same answer before redfinpickerel...

#8 Guest_redfinpickerel_*

Guest_redfinpickerel_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:55 PM

ur a big meanie

#9 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:18 PM

ur a big meanie

Geez thanks! :) but why?

#10 Guest_Duckman77_*

Guest_Duckman77_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:59 PM

Now I don't understand responses like this, especially from a site moderator. You have a new member who looking through the site. The new member sees something they feel they have some thoughts on and a moderator is right there to put that member down. The member didn't break any forum rules.

Is there a time limit to post on a thread? If so, why don't moderators delete these old threads?

Does ANYBODY have experience keeping arctic grayling in home aquaria?? I suspect few if any persons do. By that logic this post should have zero replies.

I would think that a forum would make new members feel welcome instead of throwing a lack of knowledge in their face and alienating them from the get go.

#11 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:38 PM

It is basic forum etiquette, you don't bring up old threads unless you have something to contribute.

#12 Guest_Duckman77_*

Guest_Duckman77_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:44 PM

OK. That's fine, but are new members informed of such etiquette? Could a PM to a new member be just as effective at passing along this etiquette without having to call the member out in public?

#13 Guest_redfinpickerel_*

Guest_redfinpickerel_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:25 PM

u people r mean

#14 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:42 PM

Even better we can spell. Thanks for playing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users