Pictures of Elassoma Tanks

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_OTdarters_*

Guest_OTdarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:15 AM

Could I see some examples of typical Elassoma aquarium setups? Tank pics and description would be appreciated

#2 Guest_OTdarters_*

Guest_OTdarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:47 AM

Please?

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:08 PM

I know of a few people keeping them, but pretty much it is "stuff your tank with a lot of vegetation". Not very picture worthy. But I may be wrong and someone may have a presentable setup.

#4 Guest_jdclarksc_*

Guest_jdclarksc_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

Best set up is a 5 or 10 gallon with a sponge filter, sandy substrate and java moss. The just leave it alone and age.

#5 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:17 AM

Over the winter I keep mine in ten gallons.

Like mentioned, not much to look at in a picture, I can explain what you see pretty easy. Gravel on the bottom and java moss every where else.

The tanks were in the stand the long way, three side by side lit by a fifteen watt flo bulb. I have brown fine gravel on the bottom, a foam filter with a trickle of bubbles coming out- just enough to disturb the surface. Then a cryptocorn plant or two in the opening towards the front or back, usually back ( no sense to it, but these are for the fish more than for me) and a ball of java moss filling over half the tank top to bottom. I leave any algaes growing on the surfaces except the front glass for viewing.

In the warm seasons, the pygmies are either in tubs set up exactly the same, except only java moss for decoration. However, the zonatum get to go in the larger killipond with some killifish. This pond is 10 by 15 feet and about two foot deep average, a trough in the middle three foot deep, and a shallow foot deep ledge around the edge for emergent plants and small stumps.

#6 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:27 PM

Had some time this weekend to setup and move my E. evergladei over to their new tank. Here are some pics. The java moss should fill in in time. The tank was 75% full of it before I trimmed back.

Full
Attached File  elassoma_full.jpg   58.14KB   38 downloads

Zoom
Attached File  elassoma_zoom.jpg   71.72KB   24 downloads

#7 Guest_OTdarters_*

Guest_OTdarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:02 PM

Great! Thanks everybody!

#8 Guest_jimv8673_*

Guest_jimv8673_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:51 PM

you are driving me crazy with these pics, i am wanting so bad to buy some of these little fish and set up for them. Ive been in the aquaeium hobby for 30 years but have only recently become interested in the ble spots and black banded sunfishes. Can someone direct me to where i can buy some. Thanks to all and please indulge a newby to this forum

#9 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:24 PM

you are driving me crazy with these pics, i am wanting so bad to buy some of these little fish and set up for them. Ive been in the aquaeium hobby for 30 years but have only recently become interested in the ble spots and black banded sunfishes. Can someone direct me to where i can buy some. Thanks to all and please indulge a newby to this forum

Keep an eye on AQUABID.COM

-Thom

#10 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:01 PM

or check the vendors section
I think jonahs and KSI have bandeds and blackbandeds

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:43 PM

Or come on down to the beautiful south and collect some for yourself!

or check the vendors section
I think jonahs and KSI have bandeds and blackbandeds

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#12 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:29 PM

He would have to join the Catfish Alliance first - non-members are not allowed to collect in the southern states.

#13 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

He would have to join the Catfish Alliance first - non-members are not allowed to collect in the southern states.

I agree. :P

#14 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:14 PM

Since I'm snowed in a bit here, I had some time to prune the plants and take a couple of shots of two different Elassoma tanks I currently have. I'm not trying to suggest this is perfect but I like the plant choked tanks for them since they provide the cover for both young and adults. Soil with sand atop and rooted plants as well as java moss and hornwort are what you see below.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:11 PM

Since I'm snowed in a bit here, I had some time to prune the plants and take a couple of shots of two different Elassoma tanks I currently have. I'm not trying to suggest this is perfect but I like the plant choked tanks for them since they provide the cover for both young and adults. Soil with sand atop and rooted plants as well as java moss and hornwort are what you see below.

What size tank is that?

#16 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:45 PM

What size tank is that?

They're both 10 gallon tanks viewed from the small end. I place them in rows showing only the "end" of the tanks to maximize space.

#17 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:56 PM

They're both 10 gallon tanks viewed from the small end. I place them in rows showing only the "end" of the tanks to maximize space.

Got it!

#18 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:04 PM

Oh! I forgot to add that I use Hydro-sponge III for filtration.

#19 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:21 PM

Oh! I forgot to add that I use Hydro-sponge III for filtration.

Just to add, anyone out there with multiple tanks, Look hard at sponge filters. They cannot be beat.

#20 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:40 PM

WOW some people have Elassoma tanks that do not just look like a wall of weeds and algae.. I think I saw one of mine last month in a little spot I cleared in the glass of one tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users