Blue Catfish

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:55 PM

Does anyone here keep blue catfish in an aquarium or pond setting, or know much regarding their captive care? Do they readily accept pelletized feed? What other types of fish do you keep them with? Has anyone had any success with inducing them to spawn?

#2 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

well in fishing the santee they chase schools of shad in the summer fall and winter and in the spring they eat mussels right before spawning
I would think blue cats as channel cats in tank/pond size and in tank mates

#3 Guest_ckraft_*

Guest_ckraft_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:32 PM

Does anyone here keep blue catfish in an aquarium or pond setting, or know much regarding their captive care? Do they readily accept pelletized feed? What other types of fish do you keep them with? Has anyone had any success with inducing them to spawn?

My friend with the water garden nursery sells the golden form as pond fish, they feed quite well on koi food. One time we got a batch that would not eat, the grower told us they had a parasite and prescribed some medication, I forget what it was. Anyway, it worked, and the fish started eating like they should.

#4 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for the responses. I am investigating the use of native Belizean piscivores for polyculture alongside tilapia, and I thought that blue cats might be one species to look into. Sounds like they would be good candidates for aquaculture.

#5 Guest_bluecat_*

Guest_bluecat_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 01:35 PM

Hi,

I have a Blue Catfish that I have had for about a year and a half in a 20 gallon tank. We put him in the tank when he was about 3/4 of an inch and he ate tropical fish flakes for about six months. When he was about five inches long he ate an African Dwarf Frog and some Ghost Shrimp that we had put in the tank to help keep it clean. We switched him to Red Minnows and small Goldfish at that time and he is now about eight inches in length. We are going to put him in a 55 gallon tank next month.

The water temperature is usually about 65-75 degrees. He loves to hide in a big piece of driftwood we put in the center of the tank. He has had a Shortnosed Gar as a tank mate for about eight months and they get along fine. The Gar stays near the top of the tank and the Blue Catfish at the bottom. They both eat the same feeder fish. I hope this helps.

Paul

#6 Guest_darterpro_*

Guest_darterpro_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:43 PM

I have happened to catch one at Lake Murray, and the would like shrimp, cut or raw, same with crayfish, and maybe pelletized food. I have know idea about spawning.

#7 Guest_cmj15_*

Guest_cmj15_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:06 PM

blue catfish get bigger than all north american natives except gator gars, where i fish they eat anything including pellets, but you would need a large aquarium or pond to house one

#8 Guest_vasiliy_*

Guest_vasiliy_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:11 PM

blue catfish get bigger than all north american natives except gator gars, where i fish they eat anything including pellets, but you would need a large aquarium or pond to house one

How big exactly is that?

#9 Guest_bflowers_*

Guest_bflowers_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:55 PM

How big exactly is that?

Well according to the Indiana's Record fish chart. The record for Blue Catfish is 104 lb and was caught in the Ohio river.

http://indianainfo.n...o...&Itemid=144

Bill F.

#10 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:20 AM

What about white sturgeon? Don't those get 20' long?

#11 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:14 AM

White sturgeon are not true freshwater fish, they live in salt/brackish water and run up the rivers to spawn.

#12 Guest_vasiliy_*

Guest_vasiliy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:28 PM

I had white sturgeon in mind, but I didn't know how big blue catfish get to.
A similar argument is going on in the world between some scientists whether the Mekong River Catfish or the Beluga Sturgeon are the largest freshwater fish, because beluga sturgeon are anadromous.
However, the beluga sturgeon is anadromous primarily to the Caspian sea. By the way, it's the fourth most endangered animal on the planet. Does anyone know what the first endangered animal is? I'm suspecting that the Devils Hole pupfish Cyprinodon diabolis is more endangered because it has only about 200-500 numbers in the wild in only one location in Nevada but I think some other animal is more endangered.

#13 Guest_cmj15_*

Guest_cmj15_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:57 PM

How big exactly is that?

well they get to be around 5-6 feet and over 100 lbs.

#14 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:59 PM

well they get to be around 5-6 feet and over 100 lbs.

The Chinese river dolphin perhaps?

i never knew there were god blue catfish...always assume those were channel cats.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users