North Mississippi Newby

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MScooter_*

Guest_MScooter_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:43 AM

Hello Y'all from Oxford, MS

I've been lurking for the last six months. Thanks to the wealth of information gathered from you all over that period I have started my first tank -- completely native. The tank is a 55gal. standard that has been home to a Pond Slider Turtle, 8 yoy Bluegill, 1 yoy Largemouth Bass(?), and 1 mature Buegill for 10 weeks now. Eventually I hope to have some local non-rusty Crawfish, Madtoms or other local small or slow growing bottom fish, as well as any small "minnows" netted and not munched by "bruiser" the mature Bluegill. I also hope to go beyond the small plants that I have now and see the tank become med/heavily planted. Big dreams for a small tank I know.

I am an avid flyfisherman so I look forward to posting pictures of the various sunfishes in this area as well as the trout and brook trout from the Pisgah/Smoky Mountain national forests.

If anyone wants to come collect in this area hit me up. I have a good knowledge of the Yocona River and Holly Springs National Forest.

Thanks again to everyone involved with this site and NANFA.

Future member,
John Stokes

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:03 PM

If anyone wants to come collect in this area hit me up. I have a good knowledge of the Yocona River and Holly Springs National Forest.

That's an offer I'm gonna have to accept. I don't get up that way much.

#3 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:07 PM

Where were you in February when I made a business trip to Grenada? Martin came up to meet me for some evening collecting. The boss may send me back down there someday, who knows? Welcome aboard!

#4 Guest_MScooter_*

Guest_MScooter_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:09 PM

Bring it. Work allows Thursdays, Sundays, and Mondays. What do you know of Lincoln county/ Brookhaven area?

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:22 PM

Bring it. Work allows Thursdays, Sundays, and Mondays. What do you know of Lincoln county/ Brookhaven area?

There are some very nice streams in that area- the Bogue Chitto is one I've been wanting to sample for a while now. Dredcon, HMT321 and I hit that general area last year and it was nice. There is a really good spot on White Oak creek where Jan Hoover and I found Bayou Darters (endemic) and Bayou Pierre is one I haven't visited in years. If you look at your Delorme Atlas on page 49, grid 8C you will find Merit Water Park - that spot is worth a visit, as is Westville creek at Pinola just to the southwest in the same grid. A bit further south there are good spots around McComb, and towards Pucket is one of my favorite sites on the Strong River. All of this is pretty close to home for me.

#6 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:41 AM

What is a bogue? I saw that on the USGS maps when I was in Grenada - "Batupan Bogue". I never heard that word before.

#7 Guest_MScooter_*

Guest_MScooter_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:55 PM

Bogue and Homa are Choctaw while Chitto is a Chickasaw word all meaning creek or stream. The names pop up allover the state in various order generally tied to other "odd" arcadian words describing everything from marsh to small rivers.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:56 PM

Bogue and Homa are Choctaw while Chitto is a Chickasaw word all meaning creek or stream. The names pop up allover the state in various order generally tied to other "odd" arcadian words describing everything from marsh to small rivers.

Yeah, it you aren't from Mississippi or Louisiana then all you can sample is creeks and rivers - here we get bayous and bogues and all kinds of stuff, plus the regular old creeks!

#9 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:03 AM

Yeah, it you aren't from Mississippi or Louisiana then all you can sample is creeks and rivers - here we get bayous and bogues and all kinds of stuff, plus the regular old creeks!

We have runs and forks here in Pennsylvania, as well as creeks and rivers.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users