Good News for Ohio

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:33 PM

Here's an article from the Toledo Blade talking about the ban of live imports and interstate transport of Silver Carp in Ohio. There's a step in the right direction!

Toledo Blade Silver Carp Ban Article

=D>

#2 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:42 PM

It's even better, Nate. It sounds like the ban is nationwide:

Under the powers of the federal Lacey Act, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service banned live imports and interstate transport of silver Asian carp.

Those are the most notorious of four Asian carp species, voracious eaters capable of growing up to 85 pounds.

They're also ultra-sensitive to boat vibrations. A TV network once ran footage of a silver Asian carp that flopped out of the water and smacked an unsuspecting male boater in, well, the place he least would want to get smacked by an 85-pound fish.

Asian carp were first imported years ago by Arkansas fish hatcheries to eat pond scum. Many escaped as a result of the 1993 Mississippi River floods. Since then, it's been a fight to keep them and their descendants from completing their swim up the Mighty Miss and making their way over to Lake Michigan via Illinois streams.

Should that happen, they'd wreak havoc upon Great Lakes fish. And terrorize more boaters.

Several congressmen petitioned the Fish & Wildlife Service in 2002 to use the Lacey Act against silver Asian carp and two other species, the bighead carp and black carp. The fate of the latter two is unknown. A fourth type of Asian carp, the grass carp, wasn't included in the 2002 petition because that fish already existed in most states.

The process is long and arduous because the government, in effect, is being asked to blacklist something by euphemistically declaring it an "injurious species."

#3 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:53 PM

It's even better, Nate. It sounds like the ban is nationwide:

"Under the powers of the federal Lacey Act, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service banned live imports and interstate transport of silver Asian carp."

You think so? Let's hope.

#4 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

Sounds good, but I wonder why they didn't include bighead and black in this legislation?

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:22 PM

Sounds good, but I wonder why they didn't include bighead and black in this legislation?

Because they have a thin grasp of the species concept?

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:53 PM

Any live fish, gametes, viable eggs, or hybrids of the species silver carp, Hypophthalmichthys molitrix, and largescale silver carp, Hypophthalmichthys harmandi are as of July 10th Lacey act (50 CFR part 16) listed species =D>

Score one for the good guys!!!!

Why Bighead and Black where not added is simple...They are already a problem whereas the Silvers have not yet been established in any degree and this move is to prevent that from occurring. Bighead would be difficult to list and control under this act as they already have extensively distributed themselves in multiple states..It really needs to be up to the affected states to manage and control them at this point..

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:09 PM

Some bad news for Ohio, not as bad as as carp. But in my area, Gambusia are now all over, thank Jones fish hatchery, and west nile disease.Buddy of mine seined below a local dam, and said his catch of minnow types was 75% Gambusia. Also it is too early to say, but we have seen Northern studfish in a new drainage. One of the specimens was the largest studfish I have ever seen. It was as big in diameter as a half dollar. Kid caught it fishing hook and line on a live 4 inch salamander. Went to the same locale, and managed to dig up one more 3 inch specimen.
Sorry for the derail, but I needed to spit it out, and this seemed appropriate. Good news about the silver carp ban.

#8 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:41 PM

Also it is too early to say, but we have seen Northern studfish in a new drainage. One of the specimens was the largest studfish I have ever seen. It was as big in diameter as a half dollar. Kid caught it fishing hook and line on a live 4 inch salamander. Went to the same locale, and managed to dig up one more 3 inch specimen.

Matt get a hold of someone and make sure that is listed and documented in the NAS database..
http://nas.er.usgs.g...htingReport.asp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users