Shortnose Gar split tail

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:51 PM

One of my baby shortnose has a split tail from back when multiple gars were housed together or from net damage at time of capture. I'm hoping this will heal over time. Is there anything I can do to help or is this a wait and see injury?

Posted Image

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

That should heal up without much problem....

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:39 PM

First you warp him mentally, then doom him to a lifetime deformity - what next? :mrgreen:

#4 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:38 AM

That will grow back right quick.

I think that is a longnose. Could be wrong, but the ratio of "bill" to "non-mouth head part" is really favoring the bill.

Then again, he is a chunky fella for a longnose.

#5 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:03 AM

That will grow back right quick.

I think that is a longnose. Could be wrong, but the ratio of "bill" to "non-mouth head part" is really favoring the bill.

Then again, he is a chunky fella for a longnose.

I have four of these from the same batch.

They are going through that stage where the nose gets bigger than one would expect and look similar to younger Longnosed..The chunky factor, thick Caudal peduncle and wider snout base give them away as Shortnose pretty well.

BTW Dan,
How psycho nutty skittish are yours being in a smaller sized tank at the moment??? I wonder this as I'm very close to moving them to much smaller tanks than I have them now due to the real risk of them smacking the glass and breaking their back in their current set up.

#6 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:03 PM

Mine doesnt really have any issues with the small tank other than the fact that he wants to eat non-stop. I limit him to 1 fish per day during the week.

The other one is in a 20 gal high with some red shiners (too big to eat). That tank is outside at the moment and I dont regulate his food as much, I just put in about 5 rosies per week. Since it has "outdoor" water (green) the rosies last a little longer and the red shiners provide protection by scaring off the gar. I will be moving Aug 10 and then Ill be able to set up all my tanks inside.

My indoor gar spends almost all of his time looking out the 2 sides of the tank that arent covered with paper. Perhaps covering the glass or adding some plants might help him realize his limits.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users