Finally!

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:11 PM

I finally found the epicenter of all epicenters....LOADED with Esox Americanus.

Needless to say, my Virginia tactics paid dividends today.

Of course this location will remain secret.

I'm back...I'm back.

Don't worry mishmosh, I caught one for you too.

M.

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:18 PM

Where in VA are you? I might actually know where you were.

#3 Guest_fishrenter_*

Guest_fishrenter_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:29 PM

I'm betting somewhere in southeastern VA. Nottoway or Blackwater river area. Am I close? They are in a 5 gallon bucket so they look to be about 6 - 8 inches.

#4 Guest_mishmosh_*

Guest_mishmosh_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

Actually, he caught them in Michigan. He was referring to days when he lived in VA and caught redfin pikes.

Nice job. Look forward to pictures in the aquarium.

#5 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:30 PM

Ya, I am in Michigan now and these are americanus vermiculatus. I use to catch americanus americanus (redfin) in VA like a big dawg. And you are very close. I lived in Chesapeake, VA and use to catch my pickerel (esox niger) in numerous areas, but only found the red fin in good quantity in one locale. The blackwater river was my stomping ground for years. I use to catch a bunch of chain pickerel....back in the day. I loved fishing the Nottoway!!!!

These grass pikes are about 8 inches.

M.

#6 Guest_fishrenter_*

Guest_fishrenter_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:58 AM

Okay, I'm still getting educated on these natives. Do the grass pikes get larger, in general, than the redfin pikes?

I'm in Georgia now but when I lived in North Carolina I was only 4 miles South of Suffolk (the county), VA. Catching redfin in that area is as easy as finding a swamp bridge and tossing in some small spoons or spinner baits. The same is true for Georgia (at least the coastal plain region).

#7 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:27 AM

Okay, I'm still getting educated on these natives. Do the grass pikes get larger, in general, than the redfin pikes?

As I understand it, redfin and grass pickerels are just different subspecies. Some say the redfin is a subspecies of the grass, some say the reverse. They will attain the same general size, given similar conditions.

#8 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:01 PM

Most of my specimens (red-fin) caught via mini-tube jig were the the 5-10 inch range (with 10 inches being an exceptional specimen).

However, on one occasion, I caught a monster red-fin that was probably in the 14 inch range.....EXTREMELY RARE....

I have never seen or caught a grass pickerel over 10 inches.

M.

#9 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:44 PM

Did you catch them in southern michigan? Cuz' i'm in Mid-michigan and the olny ones I ever caught were south of me.

#10 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:11 PM

I'm in Georgia now but when I lived in North Carolina I was only 4 miles South of Suffolk (the county), VA. Catching redfin in that area is as easy as finding a swamp bridge and tossing in some small spoons or spinner baits. The same is true for Georgia (at least the coastal plain region).

Red Fin Pickerel get bigger than Grass Pickerel.

The All Tackle World record Red Fin Pickerel is 2 lbs, 10 oz caught in Lewis Lake Georgia in 1982
2 lb line class record is 2 lbs caught in Gallberry Swamp, North Carolina in 1998
4 lb line class record is 2 lbs, 6 oz caught inGallberry Swamp, North Carolina in 1997
10 lb line class record is 1 lb, 8 oz caught in Bluff Lake, South Carolina in 1983
unlimited line class record is the All Tackle record above.
6 lb, 8 lb, & 12 lb test are open, as well as all fly fishing tiepets, and ice fishing.
Pole/line/no real record is 1 lb, 14 oz caught in Kerr Reservoir, Virginia in 1997

The All Tackle Grass Pickerel is 1 lb caught in Dewart Lake, IN in 1990

This information is out of The National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame 2007 World Record Book.

I ceatch between 1 and 3 grass pickerel a year usually between 10" and 13" long while bass fishing.
The smallest one I ever caught was 6" and the largest is the World Record at 1 lb.

I only caught one Red Fin Pickerel in my life and it was 12 oz out of the Delaware River in PA.

Almost all of the pickerel I caught were on a Mepps Bass Killer or a B&B Spinner, only a fue were caght on a minnow or some other bait.

Mike

#11 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:00 PM

This information is out of The National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame 2007 World Record Book.

As for State Records:
Alabama
Redfin Pickerel 9 oz caught in Crosbys Creek in 2002
Florida
Redfin Pickerel 1.06 lbs caught in New River in 1993
Georgia
Reffin Pickerel 2 lbs, 10 oz caught in Lewis Pond in 1982 (World Record)
Kentucky
Grass Pickerel .63 lb caught inWilson Creek in 1989
Louisiana
Redfin Pickerel 1 lb 8 oz caught in Folsom Pond in 1974
Missouri
Grass Pickerel 1 lb, 3 oz caught in Old River in 2005
Nebraska
Grass Pickerel 5.75 oz caught in Cameron Lake in 1996
New Jersey
Redfin Pickerel 1 lb, 13 oz caught in Lake Assunpink in 1982
New York
Redfin Pickerel 2 lbs, 1 oz caught in Lake Champlain in 1989
North Carolina
Redfin Pickerel 2 lbs, 4 oz caught in Gallberry Swamp in 1997
Oklahoma
Grass Pickerel 7 oz caught in Bever Creek in 1995
South Carolina
Redfin Pickerel 1 lb, 8.8 oz caught in Bluff Lake in 1983
Texas
Grass Pickerel .44 lb caught in Sam Rayburn Res. in 1995

As you can see Redfin Pickerel have the potential to get larger than Grass Pickerel.

#12 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:36 PM

This is very interesting. I always thought it was quite the opposite. Could those redfins be HYBRIDS? :grin:

#13 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:19 PM

This is very interesting. I always thought it was quite the opposite. Could those redfins be HYBRIDS? :grin:

No, I do not think they could be Hybrids Because the fish need to have ID checked by a biologist, inorder to be cirtified as a State or World Record fish.

Mike

#14 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:55 PM

You and me are gonna FIGHT!

#15 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:14 AM

You and me are gonna FIGHT!

You two should arrange to fight MMA (mixed martial Arts). That way HYBRID fighting styles are acceptable... :roll:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users