Game/nongame Fish

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RIVERRUNNER_*

Guest_RIVERRUNNER_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:23 AM

I'll bet Ashtonmj can tell me this off the top of his head. (Thanks to him for info on TN madtoms.)

I've been trying to figure out which fish are classified as game fish, and thus must be taken using sportfishing methods. I can't find lists anywhere.

I'm guessing all bass and bream are game fish, and maybe some catfish. I'm not interested in catfish for home at the moment, maybe a young one for the pond later. I would like to get some small bream (i think longear is about it for pretty bream in my area, prettier than bluegill) and small rock bass for my tank (55 gal.). Also, I think I'd like small suckers in the tank. I'm pretty sure suckers are not game fish.

If I can't catch small enough game fish on hook/line, I'll need to buy some?

#2 Guest_MScooter_*

Guest_MScooter_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:03 AM

State record lists are a good place to start. I believe yours is here http://www.state.tn....FishRecTbl.html You should go ahead and familiarize yourself with all fishing, trapping, or seining regulations which are here http://www.state.tn.us/twra/07fish.pdf

#3 Guest_RIVERRUNNER_*

Guest_RIVERRUNNER_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

So, every species listed on TWRA sites is a game fish? Including carp, drum, catfish, shad, etc?

Edit:
I think I've seen everything TWRA has on the web. I must be missing something simple!

#4 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:18 PM

So, every species listed on TWRA sites is a game fish? Including carp, drum, catfish, shad, etc?

Edit:
I think I've seen everything TWRA has on the web. I must be missing something simple!

It's important to do a few things before you start taking fish from the wild.

Look at your state guide for fishing (fishing regulations). This should give you an idea of the equipment that's legal to use (seine and dip net sizes) and should also define sport fish and the like. You should then seek additional information regarding transport, permits and other laws withing your state constitution or compiled statutes. http://www.tennesseeanytime.org/

At this point things might get a little complicated. You should write down the questions you have and then make a friendly call your local state DNR officer after you've studied the law to the best of your ability.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

The short answer is that there is no short answer...

It is different in every state...

And in some states they do not even use the words non-game fish or recognize the concept (usually there is something analagous, but not always... look back at some of the posts regarding Illinois regulations... they specify what is a "minnow" and have special laws for that!)

So the short answer is know the regulations... but that can be a long process...

I'll bet Ashtonmj can tell me this off the top of his head. (Thanks to him for info on TN madtoms.)

I've been trying to figure out which fish are classified as game fish, and thus must be taken using sportfishing methods. I can't find lists anywhere.

I'm guessing all bass and bream are game fish, and maybe some catfish. I'm not interested in catfish for home at the moment, maybe a young one for the pond later. I would like to get some small bream (i think longear is about it for pretty bream in my area, prettier than bluegill) and small rock bass for my tank (55 gal.). Also, I think I'd like small suckers in the tank. I'm pretty sure suckers are not game fish.

If I can't catch small enough game fish on hook/line, I'll need to buy some?

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_RIVERRUNNER_*

Guest_RIVERRUNNER_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:04 PM

I thought if I waited long enough, someone would kindly amswer me.

It's been a while since I've been on the water (heat wave, drought); but I've not stopped searching for answers. I've combed through TWRA numerous times. I know no more than I did months ago.

Maybe more precise geography could narow down regulations. Lets say the Nolichucky River, TN. Someone reading this knows the game/nongame fish in it, right? There are members in my area. I foolishly expected most of the members here to know their location's laws and be willing to share such valuable information.

I know people who have stopped fishing (trout) because the regs make it impossible to know all aspects of every part of every stream in the areas they liked to visit. Ignorance is bliss, but can cause fines or worse.

-Still don't know

#7 Guest_RIVERRUNNER_*

Guest_RIVERRUNNER_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

Oh yeah, I've been hearing a lot about using tin cans, bottles, etc. to catch madtoms. Are these methods considered illegal trapping, or just littering?

#8 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:32 PM

You obviously chose to ignore the advice given to you. Each state has its own regulations and I know in TN each county has its own regulations. The advice given to you was to call your local DNR to get your answers. Did you follow through with this?

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:39 AM

OK, so I just re-read your state regulations... which are on-line and only took a quick google search...

I would agree that tthere is not a stated definition of game fish. However, it is pretty obvious what game fish are to the state... it's all the fish that they list for records and all the fish that they have pictures of at the end of the regulations, and all the fish that they mention specific creel and size limits on, and all the fish that they specifically mention in the specific county/reservoir regulations.

But that isn't as nearly important as the specific mention that they make of being able to legally take fish with a cast net of a certain size or a seine of a certain size.

Short answer for tenneessee... no sunfish or cats or bowfin or pickerel with a seine... darters and minnows are mostly OK (although there was at least one county that specifically said you could not take horny heads (stonerollers) in certain situations, but I forget which one). Download those state regualtions and read 'em they're really pretty good... mcuh clearer than the oregon ones we were talking about the other day.

I thought if I waited long enough, someone would kindly amswer me.

It's been a while since I've been on the water (heat wave, drought); but I've not stopped searching for answers. I've combed through TWRA numerous times. I know no more than I did months ago.

Maybe more precise geography could narow down regulations. Lets say the Nolichucky River, TN. Someone reading this knows the game/nongame fish in it, right? There are members in my area. I foolishly expected most of the members here to know their location's laws and be willing to share such valuable information.

I know people who have stopped fishing (trout) because the regs make it impossible to know all aspects of every part of every stream in the areas they liked to visit. Ignorance is bliss, but can cause fines or worse.

-Still don't know

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:22 AM

There is a sufficient definition of baitfish under the collecting by means other than hook and line right off the website, in the pdf or the regs and in the paper copy of the regs. If it has a size or creel limit to it's typically considered a gamefish. My advice like everyone else so far is to call the Region 4 TWRA office. In my opinion its the best staffed region. Don't just ask to talk to the secretary either go to a direct person and ask direct questions.

#11 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

Don't just ask to talk to the secretary either go to a direct person and ask direct questions.

This is good advice when dealing with any state DNR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users