First Post and Mosquitofish

30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_texasgirl_*

Guest_texasgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

This is my first post, I was invited over here by sandtiger because I believe he has noticed my increasing interest in US natives on another message board we frequent, so thanks for the invite ST!
Currently the only native fish I have are several hundred mosquitofish that have taken over a mucky stock tank in our backyard. We brought home about 10 from the river not knowing what they were and after a little looking I found out. They have multiplied out of control since we brought those first few home.
I haven't found much good info. on them so I thought some people here could shed some light on these fish for me. The dominate males are quite a bit larger than the other males and they develop a bright neon blue tail, at this point I have only seen 3 with the colored tail.
I've been feeding them a mix of goldfish and tropical flake food as well as algae discs and crickets occasionally, they are like piranhas at feeding time.
Thanks for any replies!

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:45 PM

Welcome to NF.us.

Do you know which species of mosquitofish you have? Do you have any pics?

#3 Guest_texasgirl_*

Guest_texasgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:47 PM

I'm not sure on the species...let me go take some quick pics and post them up.
As much as I've read about them says they are native but highly invasive wherever they are released and threatening to local minnows and fish, is this right?

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:55 PM

I'm not sure on the species...let me go take some quick pics and post them up.
As much as I've read about them says they are native but highly invasive wherever they are released and threatening to local minnows and fish, is this right?

Very much so. They are native to certain states and introduced in others. People have stocked them in private ponds and lakes to control mosquito populations. During high water and flood situations, these fish get out into natural waterways and reproduce like crazy (you've already seen this). They will out compete native fish including killifish and other minnows for food and territory.

#5 Guest_texasgirl_*

Guest_texasgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:06 PM

I apologize for the awful pictures, my camera is not good with taking pictures of small things.
I will definitely work on getting some better ones.

small females:
Posted Image
Posted Image
small male:
Posted Image

The largest female in the tank is a little over 4 inches long, same for the largest males, if that helps.

#6 Guest_texasgirl_*

Guest_texasgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:28 PM

Gave it another shot and got some much better pictures:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Can you identify their species with these pictures?

#7 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:26 PM

Looks like you have some Poecilia latipinna, sailfin mollys, in with the mosquitofish. Male sailfin mollys will develop bright blue on their tails.

#8 Guest_texasgirl_*

Guest_texasgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:43 PM

Wonder how in the world mollys got into the river! Stranger things have happened! Thank you for the heads-up dred, I would have never guessed them to be mollys, I always thought mollys were only brightly colored or black and white.
:? :lol:

#9 Guest_texasgirl_*

Guest_texasgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:46 PM

Posted Image

These are the male fish I was talking about! They are mollys! Thats really strange. Can they interbreed with the gambusia?

#10 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:50 PM

What river is it? They are native to costal drainages along the gulf and from North Carolina south in the Atlantic.

#11 Guest_texasgirl_*

Guest_texasgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:54 PM

The Guadalupe River which runs straight into the gulf, we are about 30 miles inland.
Wow, I had no idea mollys were native around here. Thank you so much! This is very interesting to me. :)
Any other interesting info. you can give me about these two species?

#12 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:54 PM

I have never seen any gambusia/molly hybrids and I have collectes many of each species from the same locations.

#13 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:56 PM

They both give birth live. I just fed some of each to my crappie and new south american leaf fish (collest fish I have ever bought).

#14 Guest_texasgirl_*

Guest_texasgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:01 PM

I have fed a few to my oscar. :oops:
Both species look a lot alike at first glance but now I'm noticing that they actually look much different, I can't believe I never noticed before.
Thanks so much!

#15 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:06 PM

hehe, no prob. I'm always glad to help with fish.

#16 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:07 PM

Welcome to the site, glad you came by. I also have sailfin mollys, I bought mine at the LFS though so they aren't pure, I consider you lucky to have access to wild ones. Here is some info about them.

http://www.flmnh.ufl...ilfinMolly.html

#17 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:44 AM

Hey dred -

I know there are several protected species of Gambusia in TX. I can't really get much by way of distinguishing markers from the pics. Do any of these protected species occur in the area that these fish were taken?

On the point of hybridization, Gambusia and Peocilia latipinna are found together in nearly all of their range. The possibility of hybridization is practically nil.

#18 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:30 PM

Guppies have been known to cross with Gambusia patruelis, but guppies are a whole different subject.

Mollies are all over coastal Texas. I've been all over Texas myself, and made a point of stopping at every body of water I could whenever possible. I saw mollies galore, much to my annoyance, actually, because I was hoping for something different.

Extreme South TX has a molly called the Amazon Molly. he Amazon molly can cross with gambusia, but then again, the Amazon can cross with just about anything with a gonopodium. It is a nearly all-female species, hence the name, which can be fertilized by a wide variety of other livebearers. The resulting fry, however, are Amazons despite the species of the siring male. Actual fertilization doesn't take place, you see, since the eggs hatch parthenogenically, but the act of mating is still needed to trigger it. Weird, eh? The species survives because a very very few males are occasionally born to mix up the genes a bit, and their sperm is able to fertilize the eggs. At least that's how it was understood the last time i checked. As I recall, more study was underway.

Good old sailfins, though, won't cross with gambusias, and I for one am very glad for that. Can you imagine what horrors would be unleashed?

#19 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:11 AM

Hey could anyone ship me some wild sailfin mollies?
thanks,
Robert

#20 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:14 PM

She's got an oscar? Doesn't that qualify for getting instantly kicked off the forum [-X

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users