Swimming Pool As Fish Pond

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:02 PM

I was at the store today and they had a round swimming pool that was about 4400 gallons in capacity for $299. Does anybody have any experience with long-term use of these pools as fish ponds? As in, are the liners toxic, and how long do they last??

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:12 PM

Get it. If the liner is toxic, your fish will tell you.

#3 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:02 PM

I have heard of vinyl pool liners having algicide in them.

#4 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:14 PM

Get it. If the liner is toxic, your fish will tell you.

You mean "they will die"

#5 Guest_bflowers_*

Guest_bflowers_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:56 PM

You mean "they will die"

A friend of mine has taken a 24 ft above ground pool and converted it to a pond. He has had it setup for several yeatrs with no problems. This year we finally had to replace the liner in the pool.
I have also heard of the liners having algicide in them, but I wonder about that. Would it leach out over time and possibly become toxic to humans, especially children? I would think if it is safe for humans that it should be safe for fish.

Bill F.

#6 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:52 AM

I would think if it is safe for humans that it should be safe for fish.

Chlorine is safe for humans, well safe enough when used properly.

#7 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:01 AM

I use these and have for years. I have noticed something along the way:

They generally do okay the first year.
The second year, however, almost nothing survives.
The third year everything is fine again and remains so for a few more years until the pool needs replacing.

I have seen this over and over again. I don't know why this is, but I suspect that it takes a year for the really nasty stuff to get released, and then it's gone. Then again, it could be due to my own maintenance habits. Maybe stuff builds up over the winter and becomes a problem the next summer? It might also just be a weird coincidence. There are just too many variables to take into account for me to really guess. This pattern doesn't make as much sense as the "first year being bad and then things turn fine" pattern would make, but that's not what happens.

I do know that they make aquaculture-grade pool liners which prevent any such mildewcide/algicide/UVproofer problems from ever possibly being an issue. AquaticEcoSytems of florida sells them, and they also carry Sweetwater brand epoxy paint, ( aquaculture-grade ) which u can use to make fish-safe vats out of plywood or concrete.

Anyway, you can get a lot of volume for super cheap with the pools at Walmart, so you should certainly give it a try. Fish kept outdoors often spawn, and their colors are fantastic.

#8 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:23 AM

The second year, however, almost nothing survives.

So use it for a swimming pool for 2 years then convert to a fish pond.

#9 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:13 PM

Ordinary swimming pool filtration when used as a fish pond?

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

Ordinary swimming pool filtration when used as a fish pond?

I wouldn't think so - those pumps are not rated for continuous duty, nor do they have much filtering capacity. Swimming pools rely on chlorine to keep the water clear.

#11 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:26 PM

I wouldn't think so - those pumps are not rated for continuous duty, nor do they have much filtering capacity. Swimming pools rely on chlorine to keep the water clear.

Chlorine is for killing germs. Mechanical filtration is typically used for keeping the water clear. Diatomacious earth is put in the filter for this. Smaller pools may use different methods. But basically, I'm asking what kind of filtration you would use in the scenario described above.

Another question. Are there any fish which are tolerant of chlorine, and could live in a swimming pool?

#12 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:40 PM

I would use a sand filter, albeit much larger than the ones which come with the pool. Chlorine DOES clarify the water by nuking algae, bacterial blooms, pretty much any organic substance, etc., but of course this method is not recommended for fish ponds.

Well actually I would probably use an algal turf scrubber (or the equivalent).

#13 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:58 PM

I would use a sand filter, albeit much larger than the ones which come with the pool. Chlorine DOES clarify the water by nuking algae, bacterial blooms, pretty much any organic substance, etc., but of course this method is not recommended for fish ponds.

Well actually I would probably use an algal turf scrubber (or the equivalent).

I would scratch that sand filter myself, and think more along the lines of a drum filled with media. I am certain that the sand filter would clog like it was its job. Even simpler would be an air lift pump. Think submerged 35-55 gallon poly drum filled with media, drilled with many small holes on the lower half, and a 2-3 inch pvc lift tube coming out the top. Air line ran into the lift tube. A $ 60 luft pump would be plenty to power it. Giant sponge filter.

#14 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:23 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of a graduated rock/sand filter like large public aquaria use. I would set it up so it could be back-flushed.

#15 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:34 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of a graduated rock/sand filter like large public aquaria use. I would set it up so it could be back-flushed.

Okay, I read you.

#16 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:52 PM

Another question. Are there any fish which are tolerant of chlorine, and could live in a swimming pool?

Chlorine is toxic to just about all living things. Period. I'm sure there are some chemoautotrophic bacteria living in some thermal vents somewhere that could handle it, but a purple mat of slime isn't very fun to watch...unless your into that sort of thing.

#17 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:48 PM

Remind me to post photos of my purple slime mat collection...

Oh wait, that's ALL of my native tanks. I wonder if there are any fish in there?

#18 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:36 PM

Is a filter really necessary? Or just something to move water for aeration? A number of my tanks have been filterless...

#19 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:03 PM

No, a filter is certainly not necessary - my current pond has no filtration. What I want for this one is something a bit less "natural".

#20 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:38 AM

Ah, I see. Is your non-filtered pond relatively clear? I imagine it must be a little tea-stained, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users