New Virginia Member

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:47 PM

Finally decided to quit lurking and register. Hi from the Alexandria area! I'm new to native fish but loving everything I'm learning. I'm lucky enough to live very close to a well-populated stream and wetland reserve to go fishwatching at and I'm constantly trying to figure out what I'm seeing. There may have been a couple of trying to catch fish with my hat incidents while trying to get a closer look. I don't recommend this method. ;) Look forward to hanging out here.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:56 PM

And we're glad you've joined us. I know that there are other DC area people who'd be happy to show you more efficient ways to catch fish.

#3 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:04 PM

Ha! Thanks, I look forward to the help. :)

It was a mesh hat. I thought it couldn't be any more inefficient than your basic tank net. Would you believe it: Fish move really fast when motivated!

Actually, in all seriousness, someone recently dumped a large oscar into the stream I mentioned. I don't believe that it's on the wetlands property because I called the park office in charge of it and never got a reply. It was, last time I was through there before a large, long thunderstorm last weekend, in a fairly deep spot held back by a number of large rocks that a fish of his size probably wouldn't cross without motivation. No idea how to catch it. Or what to do with it beside killing it if I did. So suggestions on that end are welcome.

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:04 PM

Yay! another Virginian. Welcome to the forum. I hope to get a local trip together sometime soon so keep your eyes open for any announcements.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:21 PM

Actually, in all seriousness, someone recently dumped a large oscar into the stream I mentioned. I don't believe that it's on the wetlands property because I called the park office in charge of it and never got a reply. It was, last time I was through there before a large, long thunderstorm last weekend, in a fairly deep spot held back by a number of large rocks that a fish of his size probably wouldn't cross without motivation. No idea how to catch it. Or what to do with it beside killing it if I did. So suggestions on that end are welcome.

Catch it with a hook and line, and smack it against the rocks. Don't smack it so hard that it explodes!

#6 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:32 PM

Yay! another Virginian. Welcome to the forum. I hope to get a local trip together sometime soon so keep your eyes open for any announcements.

Look forward to it!

Are you a member of PVAS as well? I think we may have met at the June meeting. I had the box of fugly aquarium decorations to give away.

#7 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:34 PM

Catch it with a hook and line, and smack it against the rocks. Don't smack it so hard that it explodes!

Well, I guess that *would* solve the problem. I'm just a bit squeemish on that sort of thing so it's not something I would relish doing in the least.

#8 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:09 PM

Do you mean Huntley Meadows Park and Little Hunting Creek?
Maybe we can meet up and catch some of those fish to see what they are.

#9 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

Do you mean Huntley Meadows Park and Little Hunting Creek?

If that's the creek that goes under Telegraph close to where it splits with Kings Hwy, then yep, that's exactly the place! I love wandering around that park.

#10 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:28 PM

Oh, thats Dogue creek. I know there are goldfish in that one. I don't think you can collect in the park, could be wrong though. Its too bad because I guarantee there are redfin pickerel, mudminnows, pirate perch, warmouths, etc. in that place.

#11 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:18 PM

Woo hoo! More folks in Virginia!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users