Pickerel Tank

19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FrostBite_*

Guest_FrostBite_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:35 AM

I would really like to keep a pickerel or pike but most species get very big, I have a 90 gallon but i don't want it eating my other fish is there a way to do this or will I need a seperate tank to keep pickerel or pike?

#2 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:00 AM

Chain pickeral, northerns, and musky all get too big for normal aquaria. Redfin and grass pickeral are more "tank sized". I am not sure of their availability and legality in Canada. Search around this forum for them, there is a lot of pickeral interest, so there are lots of pickeral questions with lots of answers. Tank mates are something of a conundrum. It seems like the more successful pickeral keepers have dedicated tanks. Tankmates that are too small get eaten (including other pickeral). Tankmates that are too large may outcompete the pickeral for food.

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:10 AM

You won't be able to keep a pickerel with the current fish in your 90g. If you want to dedicate a tank for them, you will want to look at grass pickerel as they top out at around 12".

#4 Guest_FrostBite_*

Guest_FrostBite_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:55 AM

Thanx guys ill look into though I am a little concerned on how to aquire a grass pickerel in Canada cause I don't know how to get them across the border.

#5 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:35 PM

I think pickerel (there, I spelled it correctly!) distribution extends into Ontario. The natureserv site (http://www.natureser...let/NatureServe) appears to be down at the moment, but it is a good place for information. Fishbase (www.fishbase.org) is another good information site which shows grass pickerel in Michigan, the Great Lakes basin, and southern Ontario. This does not address where to catch them, or if it is legal to catch/keep them, but at least it gives some hope.

#6 Guest_mishmosh_*

Guest_mishmosh_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:13 PM

Here's my grass pickeral (thanks esoxandlepomislover) in a 58gallon tank. They are a nice size for a home aquarium.

#7 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:57 PM

Here is mine in a 30 long. This grass pike if full grown.

He does very well. Eats well, doesn't startle. He also lets me photograph him in Macro mode underwater.

I did have a problem with the warmouth. He was out-competing the pike for food. The warmouth had to find a home in my Dad's pond.

Boy was my Dad upset about that.

Mishmosh, you owe me!!! That algae laden anubias and red dwarf tiger lily is Mishmosh's (thanks mishmosh.)

M.

#8 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:04 PM

You can catch them in Lake St. Claire. I am sure they are in the Canada side as well. Get into the backwater of the channels of the St. Claire river. Get into the thick weeds, grab your cane pole, and skitter mini-tube jigs (red and white my fav) between the small gaps.

You will get one.

You may need to get an Indian Reservation fishing license.

You can get 3 similar sized specimens for your 90 tank.

Catching them is the most fun anyways. Sometimes you can catch some nice 24-30 inch pike!!!! Have you ever done that with a cane pole???

M.

#9 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:20 PM

Here is a description of Lake St. Claire where the River meets the Lake.

http://www.michigan....69446--,00.html

Here is a Grass Pike map...they are in the Lake....

http://www.michigand..._americanus.pdf

Here is where they are in Canada.

http://www.rom.on.ca..._...ang=&id=309

Find the Tribs of Lake St. Claire.

Good luck.

M.

#10 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:21 AM

And don't forget this read....it is the best I could find....It is the best...PERIOD!!!!!

So informative.

http://dsp-psd.pwgsc...4-436-2005E.pdf

M.

#11 Guest_joia2181_*

Guest_joia2181_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:06 AM

Here's my grass pickeral (thanks esoxandlepomislover) in a 58gallon tank. They are a nice size for a home aquarium.

Mishmosh

Sweet tank!!!!!! What kind of lighting are you using, if you dont mind me asking.

#12 Guest_FrostBite_*

Guest_FrostBite_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:05 AM

Thanks guys look like im going fishing I'll let you know how things turn out :-D by the way Mishmosh that is an amazing aquarium, I hope mine turns out as nice

#13 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:43 AM

Mishmosh is a pro aquarium tender. He may be new to natives, but he has the skills.

His lighting is 4-55 watt compacts. He uses HUGE CO2 injection (20 pound) and he custom makes his fert. Ya, it makes me sick looking at his aquarium.

I am teaching him about natives, and he is teaching me about plant tending.

I told you Mishmosh, you would get instant recognition once you showed your tank.

Just look at the foreground grass....SHOWCASE!!!!

I think his pike will feel right at home.

M.

#14 Guest_FrostBite_*

Guest_FrostBite_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:30 AM

Are the plants native too or are they foreign, does it make a difference? sorry if i ask alot of questions but if i can get a tank half as nice as that i will be quite happy

#15 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:45 AM

The plants are non-native.

I can say without a doubt that the red lilies are dwarf tiger lilies (exact species is unknown). They came from bulbs that were purchased at walmart. That towering aponogenton is another bulb that was purchased at walmart. The bulbs cost about 3 bucks for 3 lilies, or 3 bucks for 5 aponogenton.

M.

#16 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:44 PM

And by the way.....what about my pic???

Look at that specimen....underwater photography dude!!!!

I save you time, money, research, technique, and a run-in with the border patrol and I don't even get a..."HEY DUDE, NICE PIC OF A GRASS PIKE."

Harsh dawg, harsh.

Why does mishmosh get all the love???

M.

#17 Guest_FrostBite_*

Guest_FrostBite_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:40 PM

Sorry man I do owe you props to for the awsome pick of the pike wish my fish sat still long enough to get a good pic.

#18 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:26 PM

Its all good. It was a feeble attempt at humor, but we all know that mishmosh's tank is da shiznits.

Get yourself a grass pike. They are showcase. Their movements are so graceful and precise. Acclimation may be a little frustrating, but be persistent. My fish is really warming up after 2 weeks. Mishmosh is having a little more problems with his, but I feel his pike will warm-up too.

As for the plants....we can help you get started, but expect some bumps in the road.

We are more of clinicians than technologists when it comes to growing plants. We don't monitor pH levels or NH3 levels. Everything is adjusted based on symptomology in the tank.

If your tank is established, you have a huge head start.

M.

#19 Guest_FrostBite_*

Guest_FrostBite_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:51 PM

I love predator fish :-D but I am pretty lucky I live right next to a constante supply of feeder fish and Id appreciate any help with plants once I get the tank set up ill post some pics.

#20 Guest_rpiotr01_*

Guest_rpiotr01_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:01 PM

Mishmosh,

Great pic. If you don't mind me asking, what are those other schooling fish you have in there? Are they feeders or for show?

Based on the size of the tank your pickerel looks to be about 9 inches? Do you consider that 58 a good long term setup for the GP? Sorry for the newbie (to NF) questions, thanks!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users