Watch Out Ed!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:44 PM

Aug. 15: A Washington state tourist captures an alligator in a Pennsylvania creek. WCAU's Deanna Durante reports.

Click this link to see the video

http://video.msn.com...3...00&fg=email

#2 Guest_paoutlaw13_*

Guest_paoutlaw13_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:00 PM

ive been hearing about stuff like this atleast two or three times over the last year concerning alligators in the region of ohio, michigan, and pennsylvania. How do these alligators manage to survive through our coldwinters? Or do they end up dying when our water freezes up?

#3 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:38 AM

ive been hearing about stuff like this atleast two or three times over the last year concerning alligators in the region of ohio, michigan, and pennsylvania. How do these alligators manage to survive through our coldwinters? Or do they end up dying when our water freezes up?

From my understanding they are pets that got to big and end up being released,but If they lived near some industry that keeps the water warm they may be able to hold over, unlikely, but possible.

#4 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:16 AM

... If they lived near some industry that keeps the water warm they may be able to hold over, unlikely, but possible.

I really doubt it, and I certainly hope not! Now if the PA Fish and Boat Commission can find out who did this..., although that also seems remotely likely.

Perkiomen Creek, Montgomery County, is in southeastern PA, the suburbs of Philadelphia. That's the opposite side of the Commonwealth from me, but it is in the turf of some other members.

#5 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

I really doubt it, and I certainly hope not! Now if the PA Fish and Boat Commission can find out who did this..., although that also seems remotely likely.

Perkiomen Creek, Montgomery County, is in southeastern PA, the suburbs of Philadelphia. That's the opposite side of the Commonwealth from me, but it is in the turf of some other members.

I knew it wasn't near you but you travel from time to time, they caught like 3 gators near here this summer, the largest was 6 feet, the smallest was 3.5 feet, so much for my "there's nothing in these creeks thats going to attack me" theory.

#6 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:33 AM

I knew it wasn't near you but you travel from time to time, they caught like 3 gators near here this summer, the largest was 6 feet, the smallest was 3.5 feet, so much for my "there's nothing in these creeks thats going to attack me" theory.

Since you mention that, I guess I won't be coming up on Sunday. (Just kidding ;-) )

#7 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:01 AM

Since you mention that, I guess I won't be coming up on Sunday. (Just kidding ;-) )

I'll track you down if you don't show up!

#8 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:17 AM

there was a gator that lived in a pond near ashville for 7 years untill someone shot it and thats in the mountains with out some factory to help warm it you never know they might be the next fire ants to us northern southerns :mrgreen:

#9 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:29 PM

It sounds like I'm dead one way or the other. I guess I'll show up.

#10 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

It sounds like I'm dead one way or the other. I guess I'll show up.

:lol:

#11 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

Sounds like more proof of global warming.

#12 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:06 PM

Sounds like more proof of global warming.

Irrefutable proof, at that! :-#

#13 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:44 AM

Speaking of PA alligators......two years ago, we had one near here (Lancaster, PA). People had a pet alligator raised from a baby and now 4 feet long. They kept it in a small wading pool inside a FENCED yard. But apparently, Allie (the gator's name) was smart enough to dig under th fence and go for a neighborhood tour!

Allie was spotted in a number of local ponds including a golf course but remained elusive for almost 2 months before being captured. This was heavily reported in local papers and the panic was almost unbelieveable! The local police were warning people to keep children indoors!! As it turns out, although Allie was elusive, she was also rather good natured and was recaptured.

I am not certain of her eventual fate.

One other thing, we've been getting very mild winters here in SE PA. While I am not sure an alligator could survive it, I'd not be surprised.

#14 Guest_wegl2001_*

Guest_wegl2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:42 PM

Hey guys here is a little sample of what we have to contend with collecting in the south. Uland and Dredcon, this one was taken not far from where we collected last spring.
http://www.al.com/sp...n....xml&coll=3
To add a little special flavor to the mix, there are places where the gators are so accustomed to being fed "trash" fish and left over bait that they will get uncomfortably close to where you are. I have had them follow me down the bank as I collected waiting for me to toss them something. The key phrase here being "the bank".
The funniest thing I have ever had happen while collecting involved a 7'-8' gator. I was collecting near the north end of Mobile Bay in a ditch that is used pretty heavily by commercial bait collectors. After about 2-3 scoops I noticed this gator shadowing me. When I lifted my net to see what I caught he would get really close. It was obvious he was expecting me to throw him something. We continued this way for about 15 minutes when a car full of 18-20 year old boys pulled up next to me. This is a somewhat remote area and, as there were 5 of them, I began to get a little nervous. The driver approached me and began to ask for directions. He had a hand drawn map and seemed to be alright so I started correcting his map. I noticed the other guys getting a little close to the water so I told them to watch out for the gator. Well they immediately began searching for things to harrass the gator with. One of them took my dipnet and began poking at him with it. As I said, he would get really close. After I asked them to put the net down they started to look for things to throw at him. Just as I finished telling them how fast a gator could move on land he decided to give them a demonstration. He came out of the water onto the bank in the blink of an eye. They all screamed and scattered like a covey of quail. Two of them went around the front of the car, one around the back and one dove through the window. The only problem was the windows were all rolled up. He smacked the window and hit the ground by the back door. The gator only came out far enough to scare them off but he didn't know this. He thought the gator was right behind him. He was in such a hurry to get away that he crawled around the car, screaming for mama and begging the gator not to eat him, and got in on the opposite side. The driver and I were laughing so hard we could hardly stand. When they pulled away all I could see in the car was the driver and 4 sets of eyes peering over the car seats. I think the gator won that one.

#15 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:53 PM

Hey guys here is a little sample of what we have to contend with collecting in the south. Uland and Dredcon, this one was taken not far from where we collected last spring.
To add a little special flavor to the mix, there are places where the gators are so accustomed to being fed "trash" fish and left over bait that they will get uncomfortably close to where you are. I have had them follow me down the bank as I collected waiting for me to toss them something. The key phrase here being "the bank".
The funniest thing I have ever had happen while collecting involved a 7'-8' gator. I was collecting near the north end of Mobile Bay in a ditch that is used pretty heavily by commercial bait collectors. After about 2-3 scoops I noticed this gator shadowing me. When I lifted my net to see what I caught he would get really close. It was obvious he was expecting me to throw him something. We continued this way for about 15 minutes when a car full of 18-20 year old boys pulled up next to me. This is a somewhat remote area and, as there were 5 of them, I began to get a little nervous. The driver approached me and began to ask for directions. He had a hand drawn map and seemed to be alright so I started correcting his map. I noticed the other guys getting a little close to the water so I told them to watch out for the gator. Well they immediately began searching for things to harrass the gator with. One of them took my dipnet and began poking at him with it. As I said, he would get really close. After I asked them to put the net down they started to look for things to throw at him. Just as I finished telling them how fast a gator could move on land he decided to give them a demonstration. He came out of the water onto the bank in the blink of an eye. They all screamed and scattered like a covey of quail. Two of them went around the front of the car, one around the back and one dove through the window. The only problem was the windows were all rolled up. He smacked the window and hit the ground by the back door. The gator only came out far enough to scare them off but he didn't know this. He thought the gator was right behind him. He was in such a hurry to get away that he crawled around the car, screaming for mama and begging the gator not to eat him, and got in on the opposite side. The driver and I were laughing so hard we could hardly stand. When they pulled away all I could see in the car was the driver and 4 sets of eyes peering over the car seats. I think the gator won that one.

Why are most people enamored by poking things dead or alive with a stick? Good for that Gator

#16 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:40 PM

Why are most people enamored by poking things dead or alive with a stick? Good for that Gator

I think there is a word for deliberately pissing off a potentially dangerous animal - stupidity! It sounds like they may have been bucking for the coveted Darwin award.

#17 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:20 PM

Funny you should mention this... The DNR has been tracking a medium-sized alligator in my area recently.

http://blog.mlive.co...ator_in_au.html

Residents spot alligator in Augusta Township lake
Posted by Staff Reporter Khalil Hachem August 13, 2007 08:52AM
Categories: Breaking News

Several residents living near Lenore Lake in Augusta Township have reported seeing a 5-foot alligator in the private lake near Bemis and Bunton roads.

Mary Dettloff, spokeswoman for the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, said DNR officers inspected the lake twice last week but could not confirm the sightings. Still, she recommends that people keep children and pets away from the lake.

If it is an alligator, it must be someone's pet that either escaped or was dumped in the vicinity of the lake, Dettloff said. It won't be able to survive the harsh Michigan winter, she said.

"We would need to take it out of that environment," Dettloff said.
Six people have reported seeing the alligator, said Paul Sexton, head of the homeowners association for the 22 residences that surround the 27-acre lake. He said that he has seen tracks near the lake that he suspects are alligator tracks.

Sexton said Sunday he had taken new photographs of the alligator swimming in the lake, though they are from quite a distance. He said he expected DNR employees to search again Sunday night. Sexton and DNR officials couldn't be reached this morning to report on the search's outcome.

#18 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:52 PM

Thanks a bunch David!

I feel a much more comfortable knowing you have nearly 500 pound alligators in that warn tannin water I love to sample so much. I need to get down there again soon despite the perilous sampling.

#19 Guest_wegl2001_*

Guest_wegl2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:00 PM

I feel a much more comfortable knowing you have nearly 500 pound alligators in that warn tannin water I love to sample so much. I need to get down there again soon despite the perilous sampling.

Yeah, now you know why I had to go "take care of the kids" when Sean wanted to continue seining after dark. In my younger days I used to gig frogs near there. It was nothing to count a dozen sets of gator eyes following the boat to take care of the frog carcasses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users