Brown Vs Yellow Bullhead

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2007 - 11:59 PM

How do you tell the difference? The bullheads in my back yard vary from almost black to lavender to yellow.

#2 Guest_joia2181_*

Guest_joia2181_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:38 AM

White Lower mouth whiskers, some sort of yllwish/olive tint to the body.Of course I'm sure there is a more scientific identification method. I have my 3yr old ylw bull posted on here. It has the most noticeble sensor spots on it's head. I've seen many of varieations in the, brown, black or yllw catfish.I guess it could be from water conditions or the dreaded hybrid topic. Up here in MA we have little variety in the bullhead family. It's a 5-6 hr drive to get anywhere near a mantom. The largest cat around here was a 26lbs channel, thats a dink for you southern boys too. Sorry for rambling ,,,It's been a good night

#3 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

How do you tell the difference? The bullheads in my back yard vary from almost black to lavender to yellow.

We have three kinds of bullhead in Indiana, Black, Brown, & Yellow. Off the top of my head:

Yellow Bullhead have light colored wiskers on lower jaw.

Black & Brown have dark wiskers on lower jaw.
Black Bullhead have a light cressent before its tail, and around 19 rays in anil fin.
Brown Bullhead have around 23 anil fin rays, & usualy but not always have a mottled coloration.

Hope this helps.

Mike

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:21 AM

Thanks. I've always thought the bullheads in my backyard where browns, but now that I've got some better info on identification, I think they're yellows.

#5 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:22 PM

Lavender?

#6 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:39 PM

Lavender?

I have seen bullhead with a purple-ish color to them in places, mostly the lower halves of their tails. Not necessarily lavender, but purple-ish...

#7 Guest_fullerjp_*

Guest_fullerjp_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:09 PM

Bullheads change color greatly depending on surroundings. I caught a 2 incher in a stream thinking it was a yellow (color was light yellowish-tan), after a day in the tank he is almost black. He is brown to black in color now adays depending on when you catch him.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users