Photo

Michigan Native for 10 Gallon

2 replies to this topic

#1 Huron Aquatics

Huron Aquatics
  • NANFA Guest
  • S.E. Michigan

Posted 21 June 2024 - 12:04 PM

I've got my stocking set for the foreseeable future so my 10 gallon QT tank is no longer needed, as I have a 2.5 Gallon in case I need emergency quarantine or something like that. 

Are there any Michigan natives I could keep in the tank for the summer? I was thinking fundulus (star head blackstripe or banded) or umbra as I've caught those before but I'm not sure if they would be too large. The NANFA forum talks about people keeping them in tanks as small as 5 gallons but I'm not really sure. I also have local access to dace and shiners but I'm not sure of the exact species. Maybe I could keep a native crayfish too

Does anyone know have any experience with these species?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 June 2024 - 11:58 AM

I think a mudminnow in a ten gallon would be fantastic.  Yes they can eventually get larger, but they are ambush predators and would do just fine in my limited experience.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 24 June 2024 - 06:53 AM

I second a tank with a mudminnow or few.  If you go the 'few' route, make sure there is some structure or plants to break up line of site.  There is some posturing and chasing but it usually does not result in any serious damage.  A pleasant, and very underrated native fish species to keep at home.

Nick L.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users