Photo

Collecting freshwater natives in Horry County, SC?

1 reply to this topic

#1 mk0816

mk0816
  • NANFA Guest
  • Concord, NC

Posted 06 July 2024 - 05:10 PM

I'll be going to Myrtle Beach in the next few weeks for a few days, and I was wondering if there's any decent spots for collecting natives in the area. Some of the members of the fish club I'm in expressed interest in some least killies, and I personally aim to find Enneacanthus spp. and/or Elassoma (possibly Esox spp. and Amia calva, too); only problem is, I'm not familiar with the area, and I don't know which bodies of water I should try to target specific species in. Does anyone have any recommendations?

#2 mk0816

mk0816
  • NANFA Guest
  • Concord, NC

Posted 07 July 2024 - 12:12 PM

I managed to find a NANFA article from about a decade ago with a list of spots where H. formosa and a few other species were collected. I'd assume this would be my best bet in terms of finding potential collecting sites, but with the weird lack of rain in the last few weeks I suspect a lot of locations would've dried up; not only that, but it's been over ten years since the listed ditches and whatnot have been sampled, so there's no guarantee fish can still be found at all. Anyone have any thoughts?

http://www.nanfa.org...sh-carolina.pdf

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users