How Are The Wisconsinites Faring? (n. Il Too.)

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:17 PM

We (Kenosha county) have had (I am guessing), probably 10 or more inches of rain over the past 5 days. Other areas have gotten it even worse. Roads are closed all over the place. And it's raining right now, again.

The Des Plaines river is higher than I have ever seen. No problems approaching it for collecting now, just drag your seine down the road!

The radio claimed that the Fox was 15 feet over flood staqe (although that has to be an exaggeration). I have not been down there to look. I don't know if I can even get there because of the closed roads.

How is every one else doing?

#2 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:32 PM

I hear they're evacuating parts of Findlay, OH (Northwestern Ohio). Things in the northern part of Ohio are wellll above flood stage.

#3 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:35 PM

Not from Wisconsin or Illinois but Michigan..

I was running around today checking in on some Lamprey sites thinking I could make a day out of it as I really need to get a few adult Silvers for someone...Yeah right..Everything is screwed around here also.

Here is a pic of a location that is normally a 10 foot wide creek about 4 foot deep.
I was not going to play in this today....
DSC00854.jpg

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:35 PM

Meanwhile, in the Tennessee valley, we've formally entered a 100-year drought condition. The plants in my yard that are doing best are pomegranate, fig, Solomon's seal, yarrow and cardinal flower. And the creeks are low....

#5 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:14 AM

I wonder how flooding affects fish populations? Surely there is some loss due to fish being left high and dry as the floods recede.

#6 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:01 AM

I wonder how flooding affects fish populations? Surely there is some loss due to fish being left high and dry as the floods recede.

When the water is rising, you would be smart enough to keep moving to higher ground. Similarly, when the water is falling, the fish would be smart enough to keep moving to lower water. I think many fish seek shelter in slow moving water and submerged vegetation along the banks, and keep following the changing banks as the water rises and falls. I'm sure there are other strategies for seeking shelter from a flood torrent as well.

I think one of the biggest threats to fish during flooding is combined sewer overflows, obviously depending on whether any such systems exist in a particular watershed. But I don't think many fish are going to get washed away, or left high and dry. There are certain communities in this area, especially in the lower Allegheny River valley, where flooding of local streams frequently occurs during heavy storms. I frequently see news reports talking about how much mud was deposited and needed to be cleaned up, but never once has any such report talked about dead, stinky fish needing to be cleaned up.

#7 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:29 AM

I know lots of folks are having flooding issues (and worse than my situation) but I thought I'd share my recent experiences.
My area will likely break the all time record rainfall totals for this month since we've seen over 12" of rain in the past six days. My local creek that usually would have 30 cubic feet per second discharge had reached 3000 cubic feet per second.

thorn_creekpng.jpg

I lost power the night before last and it remained off for almost 24 hours. I scrambled for a generator but only received laughter at the local stores since 250,000 local people were without power. My fish were in trouble so I bought every battery operated aerator between 4 stores in 4 towns. My neighborhood flooded pretty bad and my basement was a disaster after the power went out. below is a photo of my front yard and street the night before last.

1_002.jpg

All of the fish survived :wink:

#8 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:55 AM

Man, I'm glad things went through well Uland. I've had my fair share of power failures, and THEY REALLY SUCK (lost my hornyheads during my Convention power failure). I've got a generator, and it's a piece of crap Coleman camping one. I bought the last one during an ice storm when I had my reefs. A gentleman informed me in as I was checking out that it may be worth more than retail in the parking lot. I said "Worth $10,000 and the blood of millions? I didn't think so." :)

My local creek that usually would have 30 cubic feet per second discharge had reached 3000 cubic feet per second.

I will see your 30 to 3000 and offer you a 20 to 20,000 cubes proportion :)

USGS.04189000.03.00060..20070818.20070825.1.0.p50.gif

This guage is right downstream where Nate and Mike collected last week. This is the stuff you're seeing on CNN, if they're still showing Ohio footage (I don't have TV). This isn't in my backyard, but it'll have to flow through here down the street. Thank goodness my fiance had the sense to buy a house ON the terrace. Recessed hills in glacial till mean something. When are people going to learn?

Maybe later today I'll try and round up all the No No's we've probably not learned again from the local news photos. That'll be a nice exploration in watershed storage and peak pulse.

Todd

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users