Black Salty Baitfish

19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:24 AM

I was curious about black salty baitfish (freshwater bait use for saltwater fishing or freshwater fishing). What kind is that fish. They looks like some carp kind or brown goldfish to me. Anyone kept black salty baitfish in home aquarium?

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:43 PM

Well, SW baitfish vary according to what part of the country you are from. In Florida you get mudminnows. In NJ, you get killifish. On the West Coast - who knows, it's probably against the law to use live bait.

So, update your profile to show your location (beat you to it Ed!) and perhaps some wise soul can tell you.

But burgeoning young country singer/songwriters take note: "Black Salty Baitfish" - it's a tune that's begging to be written!

#3 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:16 AM

So, update your profile to show your location (beat you to it Ed!) ...

Dang! :lol:

#4 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:17 AM

Um I was talking about black salty fish that looks like goldfish it said it bred for live in saltwater for 2 hours..but are some people kept some black salty goldfish in home aquarium as display? Just wondering.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:19 PM

I would call the manufacturer, if you truly want to know what species this is.

#6 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:39 PM

irate mudminnows in florida are mummichog and gulf killies

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:52 PM

Dang! :lol:

Ok, go ahead and tell him what's going to happen to his black salty baitfish! Fair IS fair.

Who manufactures those things, anyway? :-D

#8 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:19 PM

I called the company of black salty bait and the man said that black salty bait were goldfish that bred for silver color and live in saltwater for two hours. But some sources said the black salty were hybrid between goldfish and common carp? So the black salties possible can be goldfish or hybrids.

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:34 PM

I called the company of black salty bait and the man said that black salty bait were goldfish that bred for silver color and live in saltwater for two hours. But some sources said the black salty were hybrid between goldfish and common carp? So the black salties possible can be goldfish or hybrids.

I would guess that nobody here keeps them.

#10 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:54 PM

I would keep some of black salters in home aquarium because I think they are interesting being special bait used in both saltwater and freshwater. I know they are not native minnows but they are already in north america waters anyways. I know some sports stores has them in aquarium use as food for big game fishes. And I bet some of people kept them with normal goldfish or other native fish such as shiners or bullheads.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:17 PM

Generally speaking, a lot of freshwater fishes will tolerate an amount salt for a length of time. (Ha, is that general enough for you?).

Anyway, I think we've all kept "baitfish" in our home aquaria. In the old book on MS fishes, the author extolls the bait virtue of bluenose shiners.

Bottom line - I would encourage you to do this. Then you can tell us what you find out about them and you will find that many people here are interested in what you have to say.

Then I will start pestering you to join NANFA!

#12 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:28 PM

Ok I learned that black salters are actually hot bait for saltwater fishing and it become fad for bait fishermen. If big fish eat baitfish, it will eat black salty. Strange the black salter are not native bait but exotic bait. The reason why black salter created in first place were they are all year bait unlike other bait species and the people will not take native bait species out of their home and leave them building their populations. That's why.

#13 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:02 PM

Black salters are very much easy to take care probably because they are some kind of goldfish. So I guess they can kept in home aquarium with other coldwater fishes.

#14 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:39 PM

I would like to say that I'm agitated about the fact that a company is shipping non-native carp as bait via Fed-Ex anywhere. Haven't we had enough of this? I wish companies like this would consider the impacts on native fish before they start their business model.

#15 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:28 PM

I would like to say that I'm agitated about the fact that a company is shipping non-native carp as bait via Fed-Ex anywhere. Haven't we had enough of this? I wish companies like this would consider the impacts on native fish before they start their business model.

Maybe you can get a side order of Dambusia with your exotic carp?

#16 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:54 PM

I know! We don't need another carp species in United States. We have 11 (probably 12) of carp species that come from Europe and Asia. Here they are:
Common carp
Goldfish
Grass carp
Black carp
Silver carp
Bighead carp
Cruscian carp
Tench
Orfe
Bitterling
Rudd
And......this black salty..

Dambusia are already native to United States, just not in western states. But dambusia are my first native livebearer that I kept in aquarium.

#17 Guest_vasiliy_*

Guest_vasiliy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:13 PM

I've heard of most of those in the U.S....
But where do we have bitterling and crucian carp? I remember reading that ide (orfe) were introduced but weren't they eliminated?

#18 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:23 PM

It seems that the "black salty" is simply a strain of goldfish. I bumped into some interesting info at http://fisc.er.usgs....lack_salty.html.

Strange the black salter are not native bait but exotic bait. The reason why black salter created in first place were they are all year bait unlike other bait species and the people will not take native bait species out of their home and leave them building their populations. That's why.

As far as the strain having been developed so that people won't harvest wild fish for bait, I don't buy it. If conservation was really the driver, then native species would have been bred for use in specific regions instead of running a goldfish hatchery.

#19 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

it is the common goldfish/carp---- carassius auratus var,cornet
and i agree with teleos it should not be shipped at all.
im a paylake fisherman @ times and this fish is all over our state now.
a simple box labeled happy birthay get it on its way and that's wrong!

#20 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:48 PM

Plus, they're black and salty. That's messed up.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users