Photo

Native fish for Georgia classroom tank

3 replies to this topic

#1 SW Georgia Teacher

SW Georgia Teacher
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia

Posted 25 August 2024 - 01:33 PM

I'm an environmental science teacher in SW Georgia and looking to put together a heavily planted, mixed-occupant classroom tank that is as natural as possible.  The goal of the tank woyld be to help facilitate as many class topics as possible - nutrient cycling, food chains, native species, etc. I'm planning to get a 75g tank, which I may or may not split in half (see below).

I'd like one of the feature species of the tank to be a siren, either a single Lesser Siren or a small group of Dwarf Sirens. Besides this, I would like lots of plants, compatible inverts, and a few small native fish (no need for a lot). 

I'm trying to figure out which local fish species would work best in such a tank, and which would fit well with the sirens and not harass them. If the fish need more water movement than the sirens, I'm considering placing a glass divider in the middle of the tank and having a filter for water movement on the fish side, with the siren's side getting less movement, creating a move circulated environment on one side and a more swamp-like environment on the other.  If I decide that the siren and fish just aren't compatible, I may drop the water level below the divider so that both sides are completely separate. 

Does anyone have any advice on this idea or suggestions as to which fish would be compatible?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 28 August 2024 - 08:57 PM

Hello fellow Georgian!  I am up in the Athens area, so not "near you" as we are a big state.  And I dont know much about sirens.  But I am your State Regional Representative and I have worked with Environmental Education and would love to help you with your 75 gallon tank. I love heavily planted natural bottom tanks.

You are in Pteronotrpis range and they would be great in a heavily planted SW Georgia tank.  These are colorful and small minnows that would do well in such a set up (I am partial to almost all Georgia minnows).  But if you only want to consider larger fish, there are some sunfish down that way that would also be relatively easy (as long as you dont have more than one).  Your local fish would do well in slack water anyway, so you dont need to divide for habitat (although you might need to divide for compatibility of inhabitants).

Let me read up on sirens a bit and we can talk more.  I could organize a trip and get some other NANFAns to come down and help you.

PM me with your more specific location (your school at least) and we can figure out a potential collecting site.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Flavidan

Flavidan
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 11 September 2024 - 10:24 AM

Try Eastern Mosquitofish or small sunfish. A divider is a good idea to manage water movement.

#4 Kalyco

Kalyco
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 11 September 2024 - 10:37 AM

Hornwort and Java Moss are great and will help with nutrient cycling. For inverts, Amphipods or small freshwater shrimp could add interest and keep things clean without bothering the sirens.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users