Photo

Will This Work?

4 replies to this topic

#1 gymrat987654321

gymrat987654321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 September 2024 - 05:34 PM

I'd like to set up a tank, but I'm limited on space. A 55g would be a dream, but right now I think the most I can do is a 10g (20x10x12). I think I could also do an 11g (32x8x10) if the increased footprint would be needed and/or beneficial. I don't think I could really do anything bigger than that. 

I'd like this tank to be moderately to heavily planted and as self-sustaining as possible. I'm picturing it without a filter (not opposed to a filter if necessary) and with a large population of daphnia, copepods, and scuds (I know this might be tough with fish in the aquarium, but hoping some of these can be naturally sustaining). 

For fishes, I'd like a pair of bluespotted sunfish and half a dozen least killifish. I think that might be a stretch since the sunfish might predate the least killifish. My backup plan would be to replace the least killifish with bluefin killifish and maybe drop their numbers down to around four or so due to their larger size. Also open to keeping a single bluespotted sunfish with the least killifish or bluefin killifish. 

I think that's about it. What do you think? Will this work? Any thoughts or suggestions? 

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 05 September 2024 - 06:32 AM

A 10g is the perfect size to do a species-only tank for any one of the 3 species you listed.  All will do fine, however, I would only do 2-4 Bluespotted at the most.  I kept Least and Bluefins together in a planted tank and both were able to reproduce successfully.  

Trying to keep a self-sustaining population of inverts in the tank isn't impossible, but all of those fish species forage for them naturally.  So in a 10g, the fish will have a huge advantage.  Perhaps your best chance will be with fewer, smaller fish.  This is not meant to put you off the idea.  Go for it and let us know how it turns out.  Thick clumps of java moss will provide refuge for inverts as well as fry once they start breeding.

Nick L.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 September 2024 - 01:24 PM

Yes, you can definitely keep a single bluespotted sunfish in a 10 gallon.  You might could also keep a swamp darter or a couple of top minnows in the tank with them, but that's gonna be about all that will live.  Agree with Nick about the inverts.  Basically you cant keep live food with fish, they will out eat you and out eat the reproduction rate.  But if you have a source for such foods, it is great to have live food available and fun to watch these small sized predators hunt.  I say put the food in there, just be ready to replace/replenish.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Flavidan

Flavidan
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 11 September 2024 - 10:18 AM

A 10g tank should work if space is tight. You might need a filter to help with waste and keep your critters thriving. Bluespotted sunfish could prey on killifish, so consider just one sunfish or try bluefin killifish instead.

#5 Kalyco

Kalyco
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 11 September 2024 - 10:31 AM

I’d go with the 11g for a bit more room. 

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users