Largest bass in home aquarium

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

I have a 180 with a LMB about 16 inches a bluegill about 8 inches and a 10 inch common pleco. I caught the LMB and the Bluegill. I wish I hadn't kept the LMB. He is interesting but his presence limits what I can also put in the tank. My conscience won't allow me to release him and I really don't want to eat him after keeping him for a few months as I am attached to him. I want to have a more diverse population in my tank and I know inevitably he will outgrow the 180g tank. I think I will give him to my brother to clean and eat. My advice would be think long and hard about the needs of the critter for his entire life cycle before you throw him in your tank.

You could always put him in a blender, pour into ice cube trays, and feed to the much smaller fish that you replace him with.

#22 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:46 PM

You could always put him in a blender, pour into ice cube trays, and feed to the much smaller fish that you replace him with.

Wouldn't you need the bass-O-matic for that?

EDIT: Super Bass-O-matic '76

#23 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:25 PM

You know, it's weird that bass always are cast as little tank terrorists and food stealers and tank space hogs... wait, it is because THEY ARE!

#24 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:39 PM

Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Bass-o-matic and a GI Joe with the KungFu grip
Thanks,
DaFrimpster
dang it you guys. I was trying to be all insightful and reflective with my original post. Now it's just comedy :D

#25 Guest_devoneli_*

Guest_devoneli_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:42 AM

I've never kept a bass, but does that sound right? Four inches after two years?

I have a few aquariums. In my bass tank, I have 2 LMB's that are about 2 years old. When I caught them, they were the size of my thumb nail, and now they are both about 4 inches long. I have always fed them wild dace, chub, suckers and darters (in addition to frozen bloodworms). If you have very small bass (the kind where a bloodworm is too large for them), feed them newborn dace. In early spring you should have no trouble catching 100 at a time in your local stream / small river.

If anyone in the ct area wants to raise fish that small i know all the best spots. LMB, SMB, Bullheads, Any common species trout, pickerel, pike, any kind of sunnies, and any minnow or sucker you can think of. Let me know what your looking for...

#26 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:48 AM

Here is info for wild black basses in AL : http://www.outdooral...ssblack/age.cfm

#27 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:53 AM

Here is info for wild black basses in AL : http://www.outdooral...ssblack/age.cfm

Good to know, Thanks

Tom

#28 Guest_xspainx69_*

Guest_xspainx69_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:31 AM

From my observations so far, my 3 inch Largemouth hasn't grown one inch in the past 3 months that I have him. Now I dont know why that is! He eats like a king and sleeps like a baby and runs around all afternoon in the tank. But he hasn't grown anything since I got him. So I dont know where some people get this idea that Bass will outgrow a tank in like 6 months. Im going on the 4th month now and still waiting for the growth to happen HAHAHA. In fact the channel cat seems to be outgrowing everyone. But in any case this is just my observation on the fish I have.

#29 Guest_xspainx69_*

Guest_xspainx69_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:37 AM

I just read that link you guys put up...I think its interesting that my Bass is suppose to do a lot of growing his first year but I dont notice any sort of excessive growth yet. I wonder if I am not feeding him enough...I know usually Feeders last him for 2 days only.

#30 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:07 PM

From my observations so far, my 3 inch Largemouth hasn't grown one inch in the past 3 months that I have him. Now I dont know why that is! He eats like a king and sleeps like a baby and runs around all afternoon in the tank. But he hasn't grown anything since I got him. So I dont know where some people get this idea that Bass will outgrow a tank in like 6 months. Im going on the 4th month now and still waiting for the growth to happen HAHAHA. In fact the channel cat seems to be outgrowing everyone. But in any case this is just my observation on the fish I have.

Maybe the catfish is eating most of the food.

#31 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

Maybe the catfish is eating most of the food.

Yup. This does not sound right AT ALL.

#32 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:20 PM

Are you doing water chemistry tests on your tank water?

How often are you changing the water, and what proportion of the tank water (%) are you changing?

I'm thinking the answer to this is in the fundamentals.

#33 Guest_xspainx69_*

Guest_xspainx69_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:37 PM

Are you doing water chemistry tests on your tank water?

How often are you changing the water, and what proportion of the tank water (%) are you changing?

I'm thinking the answer to this is in the fundamentals.

The water chemistry is PH 7.2 Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate = 0 PPM's.

How often do I change the water ....Every two weeks I do anywhere from a 50% - 75% water change. Then I throw in some salt and stress coat and let them chill out.

Maybe New York City Tap water stunts the growth HAHAHA Maybe this is why I stopped growing after 5 foot 8 LMAO :D

#34 Guest_Bopper72_*

Guest_Bopper72_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

I have a SMB that 15 inches. I have had him for 17 months. He was 3/4 inch when I got him.

#35 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:31 PM

I have a SMB that 15 inches. I have had him for 17 months. He was 3/4 inch when I got him.

Wow! are you serious... did you mean 3/4 of an inch... or 3-4 inches... I know some fish grow quickly, but really, from less than an inch to 15 inches in a year and a half?

Anyway, welcome to the forum and congratulations on keeping your SMB so healthy. Obviously there is nothing you can do about this now... but if there is anyone else out there reading this... please make sure that you are following all your local game fish regulations when you are looking to keep these kinds of fish. Without special permits you are usually not allowed to take such small game fish (Although if your guy was 3-4 inches, you could have taken him on a small hook, which would probably been OK... if he was only 3/4 inch I can't even imagine a hook that small!!).

Again, welcome to the forum.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#36 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

Yes, welcome to the forum. It's good to hear from another smallie keeper. Mine is also about 15 inches. He was about 5-6 inches long when we caught him as it's only legal to keep sport fish that are caught on hook and line here in Ohio. Mine lives alone. I've eventually felt sorry for anything else I tried to keep with him so he gets the 150 gallon to himself. They are a lot of fun, but as I'm sure you've found out they're a lot of responsibility. If you're interested, we could start a new topic here in this section and just discuss keeping SMB in an aquarium. Good to here from you.

Steve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users