New To Natives And Need A Lot Of Help

27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ogtgnome_*

Guest_ogtgnome_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:03 PM

My son and I were out fishing the other day, with no luck, we were pulling in our lines and on one of them we found a small catfish... the pond was closing and it had swallowed the hook too deep for me to pull it out and release the fish with any certainty of it surviving, so we took it home. By the time we got home the fish had regurgitated the hook. I pulled out an old aquarium, filled it with water from our pond and we are now trying our hand at keeping it alive.
My problem is I have no experience in this!!!!!!!!!!! I have ( I think) identified the fish as a yellow bullhead. round tail fin, white barbels under the chin framed by darker ones, the only thing throwing me for a loop is one of the barbels forks.
I am keeping him in a 20 gal tank, have a whisper filter on it, a gravel substrate, and some of the vegitation that came in with the line in the tank. What else do I need, what should I be feeding it, how often....
Please help. After reading several of the threads here and attempting find care and feeding instructions I think I am getting hooked on the idea of keeping a native habitat in my living room.

Thanks in advance

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:11 PM

He will need some sort of shelter to hide in/under ( a piece of PVC will do in a pinch, but large, flat rocks work better and look nicer ). Your bullhead will eat sinking pellets at least once a day. At first he may only feed at night.

Keep an eye on ammonia and other fish metabolism by-products- with a large fish in a small, newly set up tank, things can go south fast. He really needs a larger tank, but it will do for now.

Anyway, that's the capsule summary. Other who are more vebose than I can fill you in.

NANFA has a quarterly publication which has all kinds of articles on captive care, neat natives, and fun facts! You should consider joining if you discover you have an interested in native fishes.

#3 Guest_ogtgnome_*

Guest_ogtgnome_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:33 PM

Thank you very much. That gives me a start. Right now he's only about 7 inches, how large a tank should I be looking at?

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:59 PM

A 30 or so would be about right. 55's are cheap- you can pick one up (with lights) for about $100.

#5 Guest_ogtgnome_*

Guest_ogtgnome_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:16 PM

I just wanted to say that this is my first day on the forum. I spent HOURS trying to find information on how to care for the catfish that has rapidly become a member of my family. About all I could really find on the open internet was directions on how to cook it. I stumbled on this site and took a chance that I would get the help and information that I need. As it turns out it was a gamble that paid a hundred fold...

I would like to let everyone know that 'Irate Mormon' has been possibly the most helpful and incredibly nice person I have ever 'met' either online or in person.... his advice and patience with my questions both public and private have hooked me and my family into this exciting and new hobby/lifestyle. I appreciate everything you have done to help me and your advice has saved a fish that probably would have otherwise ended up in the garden a fertilizer, but is now a part of the family....

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chas

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:19 PM

Right on! Welcome aboard! I am sure as you progress in this hobby, that the answers will be found here.

#7 Guest_ogtgnome_*

Guest_ogtgnome_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:26 PM

Right on! Welcome aboard! I am sure as you progress in this hobby, that the answers will be found here.

Thanks! Does anyone know if there is an Oregon chapter out there... I would love get involved and get my kids involved with me... the pond we already volunteer at the ponds where we caught our newest family member, removing tangled gear and trash... but the more I am finding out the more I want to get involved, both for home enjoyment and for the enjoyment of everyone else.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:43 PM

Hmm, used to be fellow named Norm Edelen - but hey, you could be the next regional rep!

#9 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:03 PM

Yellow bullheads get up to 18", so you may end up needing a pretty big tank. Also, don't plan on putting much else in the same tank once he gets a little bigger. Once they hit about 10" they get aggressive. Some of the larger sunfish might work. I've kept them with bluegill, redbreast, and warmouth.

#10 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:28 PM

pick up a 40 or a 55. You won't regret it. Plus it will give you room for a few (1-3) sunfish.

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:57 PM

OK, who are you and what have you done with the real Irate Mormon?

I want irony, sarcasm, and wit... we got lots of nice people around here... but there's only one Irate and I want him back!

I would like to let everyone know that 'Irate Mormon' has been possibly the most helpful and incredibly nice person I have ever 'met' either online or in person....

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#12 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:40 PM

OK, who are you and what have you done with the real Irate Mormon?

I want irony, sarcasm, and wit... we got lots of nice people around here... but there's only one Irate and I want him back!

I agree.

#13 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:33 PM

From a forum staff position I think the two guys above need to let sleeping dogs.....

I like the kinder, gentler side of Irate and I must add that his recent behavior is much easier to "moderate".

#14 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

Well hey, since I banished the cat to the basement, I forgot myself and started actually trying to help people with fish questions :oops:

But he is back now after a suitable cooling off period and so am I! I'm still peeved that the photo of my GF was removed because it was somehow "inappropriate" - she really is a nice girl, albeit frequently and vociferously flatulent. Don't ask me how I got the smoke into where it would create the blowhole effect - we don't even talk about that between the two of us. Just remember now kids, don't do drugs, mKay?

But really I was glad to offer my pitiful bit of advice, and ogtgnome, I hope you are serious and follow through with your NANFA membership. Everybody in our club, and I mean EVERYBODY, is very happy to share what knowledge and experience they have. (Wait a minute, "everybody" is singular, so maybe it should be "he has"? I need some help here.) I can't tell you how many fellow fish nuts have squandered a day off just to show me around their home territory. I do like exploring, but it's also great to go out with someone who knows right where the fish are. That's the next step for you and your son. If you think catching them on a hook and line is fun, then you are in for a REAL treat when you get into the water with a net and a field guide

#15 Guest_ogtgnome_*

Guest_ogtgnome_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:55 PM

[quote name='Irate Mormon' date='Aug 26 2007, 05:52 PM' post='18754']
But really I was glad to offer my pitiful bit of advice, and ogtgnome, I hope you are serious and follow through with your NANFA membership.

Yes I am serious, and with any luck I think I may be able to finess the bills a bit to allow me to join sooner rather than later!! (that depends on the wife)

I do have another question.. Where do I go to find info about collecting, keeping, permiting, etc... I tried to contact the local fish and wildlife, but the lady who answered had no clue... as much as I 'hooked' into this already I don't want to break any laws or have my house raided by odwf wardens ;) If anyone can help or if there is anyone in the oregon region who would be willing to help break in a newbie I would greatly appreciate it...

#16 Guest_ogtgnome_*

Guest_ogtgnome_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:25 PM

Just to update, I just joined.

#17 Guest_vasiliy_*

Guest_vasiliy_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:27 PM

"635-011-0100
General Rule
It is unlawful to take any fish, shellfish, or marine invertebrates for personal use except as provided in these rules which include and incorporate the 2007 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations by reference." (emphasis added)
I found this on oregon's game department website at http://www.dfw.state.or.us/OARs/11.pdf
I'm not sure since I live in WA not OR but I think that by 2007 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations they mean one of those free "pamphlets" that you can get at any sporting goods stores for free. Do they have that in Oregon too?

#18 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:16 PM

I'm an east coaster, but I looked up the Oregon fishing license regulations on the web, just to see if there was an easy answer to the gnome's question...

I didn't see an easy answer.
The regs define game fish and how you are alloed to take them.
The regs define non-game fish as everything else.
But then they tell you that you can take non-game fish only by the approved methods... and list angling, spear, bow & arrow, some others, and even "hand"... but they never mention using a seine to take bait fish (although they do mention bait fish and prohibit transporting them to another bdy of water.

But if I were out there, I would call the OFWS and ask, because these are some pretty liberal fishing regulations... I mean you are allowed to take one octopus a day! While there are some pretty restrictive portion of the state and some restriction on some specific fish (as there should be)... I'll bet it is allowed to collect bait fish somehow... it's just not clearly spelled out in the regs.

"635-011-0100
General Rule
It is unlawful to take any fish, shellfish, or marine invertebrates for personal use except as provided in these rules which include and incorporate the 2007 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations by reference." (emphasis added)
I found this on oregon's game department website at http://www.dfw.state.or.us/OARs/11.pdf
I'm not sure since I live in WA not OR but I think that by 2007 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations they mean one of those free "pamphlets" that you can get at any sporting goods stores for free. Do they have that in Oregon too?

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#19 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:19 PM

Just to update, I just joined.

Wow!

Thanks for becoming a member. I just received my AC today and haven't had a chance to crack it open. I can see by the topics, this is THE issue I've been waiting for. All are great but this one could be special to me. I suspect you might get a back issue. Give it a little time and if you don't get one, be sure and PM me.

Thanks for supporting NANFA and let us know if you need anything.

#20 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:48 PM

The west coast is tough - Washington and California pretty much forbid you collect natives. Hopefully Oregon is more enlightened.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users