Labor Day Weekend Snakehead Hunt

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

What: If you're in town during the Labor Day weekend, join local members of the North American Native Fishes Association for a Potomac River snakehead hunt. We'll seine the Potomac River to see if we can find the introduced snakehead, Channa argus argus, as well as such local species as silversides, quillback carpsuckers, striped killifish, white perch, and sunfish. It's against local law to transport any snakeheads we capture, so we'll bring a photo tank, for any one who wants to photograph them.

Where: The parking lot at Little Hunting Creek, on the George Washington Parkway, just north of George Washington's home in Mount Vernon, Virginia.

When: Saturday, September 1st, at 9:00 a.m., two hours before the morning high tide. (http://tidesandcurre...ab2ec2c.html#53)

What to Bring: Seines, dip nets, attire for wading (old sneakers, wading shorts, boots, etc.) angling equipment (fishing rods, if desired) photo tanks, camera and equipment. Attendees over age 16 will need a Virginia State Fishing license. The license can be purchased on-line at the Web site of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, at http://www.dgif.state.va.us/licenses/ If you don't have nets, I'll be passing mine around for others to use.

Disclaimers: By and large, wading is a safe activity, and the site we've selected is in firm, sandy shallows. But in these litigious times, a note of caution is warranted: The North American Native Fishes Association is not responsible for your safety. You are responsible for your own safety and for the safety of any members of your group. Minors are not permitted to attend unless accompanied by an adult. If you havenever waded in a natural body of water before, it would be worth your while to do a little reading. A quick Google search for "wading safety" revealed a number of sites. Here are two to get you started:
http://www.dnr.state...25/Default.aspx
http://www.gadling.c...ple-summer-fun/

Directions From the North From Interstate 495 (the Beltway). Follow the beltway south to Virginia. As you cross the bridge over the Potomac River, get in the right lane. Take the first exit in Virginia, marked George Washington Memorial Parkway. Follow the George Washington Parkway south for about 30 miles, which takes you directly to Mount Vernon. You'll drive through Old Town Alexandria, Virginia, where the Parkway is renamed Washington Street. Mount Vernon is eight miles south of Old Town Alexandria., at the large traffic circle at the end of the Parkway. The parking lot is on the left, just before Little Hunting Creek.

Directions From the South (Woodbridge, Richmond, North Carolina)
Travel north on Interstate 95 and turn off at exit 161, Route 1 North, marked Ft. Belvoir/Mt. Vernon. Continue north on Route 1 about six miles, through Ft. Belvoir. Just after Ft. Belvoir, turn right on Route 235 north. Mount Vernon is three miles straight ahead, at a large traffic circle. Proceed through the circle, to the George Washington Memorial Parkway. Cross Little Hunting Creek and pull into the parking lot on the right.

Questions?: e-mail me off list at backhouse1@verizon.net

#2 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:34 AM

What: If you're in town during the Labor Day weekend, join local members of the North American Native Fishes Association for a Potomac River snakehead hunt. We'll seine the Potomac River to see if we can find the introduced snakehead, Channa argus argus, as well as such local species as silversides, quillback carpsuckers, striped killifish, white perch, and sunfish. It's against local law to transport any snakeheads we capture, so we'll bring a photo tank, for any one who wants to photograph them.

Bob,
I did not see your post in time to attend, but I was wondering how the snakehead hunt turned out.

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:58 PM

Is Maryland in the South?

Think again, Batman!

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:02 PM

Virginia is, which is where the event was.

#5 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:09 PM

Is Maryland in the South?

Think again, Batman!

It's below the Mason-Dixon line, isn't it?

#6 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:38 AM

I too missed the invitation, I would've been there! I am looking forward to a trip report though :)

#7 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:44 AM

It's below the Mason Dixon line and is part of the Southern Division of AFS so as far as geography and fisheries go I consider it part of the "south".

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:45 PM

It's below the Mason Dixon line and is part of the Southern Division of AFS so as far as geography and fisheries go I consider it part of the "south".

Geographically, maybe. Culturally - not a chance!

#9 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:56 PM

The most northerly Confederate veteran memorial statue is in Rockville, Maryland, the county seat of Montgomery County outside of D.C. Some of my ancestors' names are on it who were Montgomery County residents in the 1860s. The statue faces north, of course. But things have changed over 140 years. Maryland today wouldn't be part of a "Southern strategy".

#10 Guest_AC-Editor_*

Guest_AC-Editor_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:01 PM

As a lifelong Maryland resident I can say with 100% confidence that Maryland, by virtue of its being south of the Mason-Dixon Line, is a southern state, but we consider ourselves more of a "mid-Atlantic" state. Maryland was officially "neutral" during the Civil War, although sentiment went both ways. The more urban Western Shore was pro-North. The more rural Eastern Shore, with its tobacco and other farms, was pro-South.

Chris Scharpf
Bawlmer, Merlin

#11 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:02 PM

Ahem.... topic? So, how was the snakehead hunt? Any pictures?

#12 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:44 PM

Here's one I got last weekend from Occoquan, it's Raccoon food now. Not sure how fast they grow, would this be a YOY?

Posted Image

#13 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:23 AM

Do you have any details? We did a lot of seining, at multiple sites. Little hunting creek, Pohick Bay, Mason Neck, but no snakeheads. Lots of small Lepomis, a few bluespotted sunnies, and even a baby American Eel Fundulus too (loads of diaphanous).

It gives me hope for the River. I'm thinking that when they aren't breeding, they're nocturnal, and sleep in the mud in the little back creeks, and then come out at night to feed, like an American Eel. I've read that they're really slimy--and slimy is good if you're a fish that buries itself in the substrate--like an American eel.

Here's one I got last weekend from Occoquan, it's Raccoon food now. Not sure how fast they grow, would this be a YOY?

Posted Image

#14 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:31 AM

I caught it in a dip net half way up the Occoquan last Sunday. It was in maybe a foot of water hanging out in some dead weeds. Like you I mostly caught small Lepomis, with a scattering of bluespotted sunfish and a couple of darters. It was closer to the bank then most of the Lepomis.

I was a little surprised to see it there, the Occoquan in that place isn't your typical shallow tidal tributary. Thinking back though, I remember a few years ago when a good number of young snakeheads were caught in Dogue Creek during the fall. I guess they swim up into tributaries as the temperature drops to try and find overwintering sites.

A friend of mine who works for Fairfax County Parks caught several adults this year in the creek below lake Accotink. That's at least five miles from the Potomac in a creek that's pretty shallow most of the year. So I guess they do spread out a bit.

The only time I see them is in the late spring/early summer after the young hatch. They guard the young, much like bullheads. I've never caught one on hook and line but I've heard they are very vulnerable when they have young. I'll have to give it a try next year.

I think that during the warmer months they tend to hang in really shallow water. Even shallower than most of the Bass guys fish (or can get their boats into), hence the relative dearth of catch reports.

#15 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the report. They really are mysterious. I'm assuming they'll become more common in the years to come (unfortunately.)

I caught it in a dip net half way up the Occoquan last Sunday. It was in maybe a foot of water hanging out in some dead weeds. Like you I mostly caught small Lepomis, with a scattering of bluespotted sunfish and a couple of darters. It was closer to the bank then most of the Lepomis.

I was a little surprised to see it there, the Occoquan in that place isn't your typical shallow tidal tributary. Thinking back though, I remember a few years ago when a good number of young snakeheads were caught in Dogue Creek during the fall. I guess they swim up into tributaries as the temperature drops to try and find overwintering sites.

A friend of mine who works for Fairfax County Parks caught several adults this year in the creek below lake Accotink. That's at least five miles from the Potomac in a creek that's pretty shallow most of the year. So I guess they do spread out a bit.

The only time I see them is in the late spring/early summer after the young hatch. They guard the young, much like bullheads. I've never caught one on hook and line but I've heard they are very vulnerable when they have young. I'll have to give it a try next year.

I think that during the warmer months they tend to hang in really shallow water. Even shallower than most of the Bass guys fish (or can get their boats into), hence the relative dearth of catch reports.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users