Bullhead Questions

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:32 PM

I have some Yellow Bullheads and I had a few questions about them. One of Mine is about 11'' and he is a little over 2 years old, is this a normal growth pattern? I have him in a 100gal tank and feed him chicken liver and beef heart. Does this sound like a good setup? Also I have some fish I think are Brown Bullheads but I am not sure if i uploaded some pics could yall ID them for me? Thanks in advance.

#2 Guest_FrostBite_*

Guest_FrostBite_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

Did you try checking the barbels under the chin for the 4 little barbels? If they are like yellow or white it is a yellow bullhead if not it is probably a black or brown but you probably already knew that. I'm pretty new to this btw. try checking this link http://www.planetcat...search=bullhead it should help

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:06 PM

That seems normal especially with what you are feeding it. You may want to get it on a pellet staple diet which will have most of the needed nutrients. This will be a much healthier diet.

And yes, take pictures and upload them. Someone will be able to verify.

#4 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:13 PM

11 inches in 2 years sounds like good growth to me. Chicken liver and beef heart, however, are probably not the best food. I would stick to other fish and inverts as food. Prepared foods (pellets) and frozen are good too.

There used to be some controversy about the long term health effects of feeding beef heart to fish. I searched the Web and could only find one sentence in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia....iki/Discus_fish) about it.

#5 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys! I am glad to know my fishes growth is normal I worry that he is too small. I know this is going to sound really weird for a Bullhead but one of my Bullheads refuses almost any food but meaty stuff like chicken liver, I have tried pellets, shrimp, tubifex worms, brine shrimp, veggie food, and he refuses it, He at one time went over 3 weeks without eating with me offering food to him. I dont know what the problem with him is anyone have any suggestions? I will start feeding the other one (He will eat anything) a more varied diet. Thanks again everyone!

#6 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:39 PM

Is he the only one in the tank? If not, what size are the other fish and what kind of fish are they? Sometimes larger fish pick on smaller ones to the point of them not eating.

#7 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:47 PM

He has been alone for like one year and was alone when he refused the foods. I really dont understand it.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys! I am glad to know my fishes growth is normal I worry that he is too small. I know this is going to sound really weird for a Bullhead but one of my Bullheads refuses almost any food but meaty stuff like chicken liver, I have tried pellets, shrimp, tubifex worms, brine shrimp, veggie food, and he refuses it, He at one time went over 3 weeks without eating with me offering food to him. I dont know what the problem with him is anyone have any suggestions? I will start feeding the other one (He will eat anything) a more varied diet. Thanks again everyone!

That is rather odd. Will he eat live feeder fish?

And hey, where you at in Mississippi? I'm just east of Jackson.

#9 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:39 AM

I dont know if he would eat feeder fish. Due to the risk of parasites i have never fed feeder fish or minnows. Do you think that it would be a good idea to put some minnows or feeder goldifish with him to see if he would eat them?

I am near Meridian if you know where Meridian is. lol

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:05 PM

I dont know if he would eat feeder fish. Due to the risk of parasites i have never fed feeder fish or minnows. Do you think that it would be a good idea to put some minnows or feeder goldifish with him to see if he would eat them?

I am near Meridian if you know where Meridian is. lol

Yeah, you're only about an hour away from me.

I've never had any problems using feeders. Of course, in Irate's Tank O' Death, how could I tell?

#11 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

Well I might go collect some minnows or feeders sometime then. So you have never had a problem with parasites? Is it normal for a bullhead to "flick" against the wall and gravel occasionally or is this a sign of parasites or a skin problem. I am going to get some pics of my fish tonight after i redecorate my tank, my bullhead has been busy rearraging his tank. Thanks.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users