Silverside Poll

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Who has kept brook silversides that LIVED? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Voted I netted some and they died as soon as they hit the air (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. I was able to keep some alive in the cooler (5 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. I was able to keep them for a couple of days (8 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

4. They lived for years! (4 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

5. They turned out to be inland siversides (see previous 4 options) (1 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:26 AM

OK guys - let's hear it. Vote now!

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:00 AM

I came across large "schools" of young this summer in the deep south. I kept a few in the 5 gallon bucket for three days. The young were very small. They survived high temps and stressful conditions. Back home (northern Illinois) I find them often. I honestly don't have the proper tank for them at the moment but they don't seem any more difficult to transport than tender notropis. I've retained specimens for photos on several occasions. All appeared more hardy than I expected. Carmine shiners behaved more stressed than Brook silversides.

#3 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:38 AM

I had good sucess with them........Only when I could get them to a tank very quickly.
once brought back and adapted they really do quite well.

I have also found that "the little secret" of not actually lifting them out of water, is effective in at least moving them from net to bucket without killing them. Another little secret is use heavy water flow. This tends to keep them from jumping or banging themselves up in a tank.

#4 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:08 AM

I kept a group of 5 alive for 3 months and got tired of waiting for them to die and fed them to my chain pickerel. Guess I should have given them to nate didn't realize at the time that he wanted to keep them around so bad. I just was very careful with getting them home and after the first 2-3 died in the first couple days they did fine. I should point out though that I tried many times before this and they all died. I think what was different is how careful I was with these ones. I caught them within 15 minutes of my apartment... netted them and put them directly into a cooler with nothing else so they had plenty of space, took them home and put an air pump in the cooler and let them aclimate to room temp very slowly (this was early fall so water temp was low 60's). I then every hour of so added water from the tank they were going in to the cooler. I then scooped them out of the cooler with a cup did not net them or touch them and put them in the tank. I put 8 in the tank 2 died within hours another a couple days later and then 5 lived till I fed them to the pickerel about a month ago.

#5 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:48 PM

I kept a group of 5 alive for 3 months and got tired of waiting for them to die and fed them to my chain pickerel. Guess I should have given them to nate didn't realize at the time that he wanted to keep them around so bad.

...thanks brian.

#6 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:03 AM

...thanks brian.

Still have some alive from when Dustin and I got them back in late December.

#7 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:40 PM

Oh I've got three or four, I'm fine now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users