Gizzard Shad?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishtanker_*

Guest_fishtanker_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:03 PM

Good evening everyone. I was fishing for catfish bait tonight for a trip with my nephew tomorrow and I hooked up with a Gizzard Shad, I was thinking I would keep him for bait, but he is gowing on me. From what I know they are filter feeders, I hooked him in the mouth with a worm, but maybe a coincidence. Is he doomed if I keep him for display, would he be better for bass or catfish food?

Thanks,

#2 Guest_vasiliy_*

Guest_vasiliy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:09 PM

Is he still even alive?

#3 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:16 PM

bloodworms I have a lone gizzard from lake hartwell in my 45 in with some darters I've had him for about 2 weeks and so far hes been fine eats blood worms(what I feed my darters) to think I havent tried flake yet...... do you know where my terta min is :-P

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:40 PM

Is he still even alive?

Add salt (5 to 10 parts per thousand) and reduce temperature to low 70's to 60's and they will be as tough as tilapia. Do so as quickly as captured. They look pretty darn banged up and come fine in the end so long as they don't start filling up with water. Scale loss can be replaced in short order.

#5 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:28 PM

Add salt (5 to 10 parts per thousand) and reduce temperature to low 70's to 60's and they will be as tough as tilapia. Do so as quickly as captured. They look pretty darn banged up and come fine in the end so long as they don't start filling up with water. Scale loss can be replaced in short order.

I caught one at West Point Lake on the GA/AL line and it died within 5 minutes in the bucket. I ended up catching a 20 inch channel cat with it. :D

#6 Guest_fishtanker_*

Guest_fishtanker_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:32 PM

I'm afraid he is no longer with us, he has gone from pet to bait. Thanks for your help, sounds like I couldn't have kept him with my warmouth because of the salt anyway. Thanks for all the suggestions, they will go back in next time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users