Brails

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:04 AM

Here are a couple of photos of Irate's Improved Brail. These are made from shovel handles (about $8-$10). Shovel handles are MUCH stouter than bamboo or wood dowels (e.g. broom handles) and absolutely will not break. The inclusion of eye bolts allows me to easily snap different seines onto one set of brails. I can get the lead line right down to the bottom without worrying about abrading the tie as well.

Attached Images

• DSC00021.JPG
  • DSC00020.JPG

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:12 AM

Irate,
That is a nuclear grade brail. I love it. The eye bolt at the bottom should increase the life of the lead line dramatically.

This links shows a standard dowel (not broom handle) attachment method.

http://aquaticpredat...showtopic=24630

I'm not saying it's the best, but I've not heard any complaints either.

#3 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:06 AM

Very interesting threading technique there Teleost. I don't tie the seine snug up to the brails like this. I leave 6" to a foot of line between the seine and brails. Sure, this is going to allow some fish to get around on occasion, but it also give a much better bag in the seine. This is especially important when kick seining or shcoking down into a seine. I think the "snug" technique would work very well on a much smaller seine, like a one man four footer or something similar. Just my opinion, of course.

#4 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:19 AM

Very interesting threading technique there Teleost. I don't tie the seine snug up to the brails like this. I leave 6" to a foot of line between the seine and brails. Sure, this is going to allow some fish to get around on occasion, but it also give a much better bag in the seine. This is especially important when kick seining or shcoking down into a seine. I think the "snug" technique would work very well on a much smaller seine, like a one man four footer or something similar. Just my opinion, of course.

I've tried both ways and I like this best. It's all personal preference though. Now you know why I'm so particular about pliable nets. I get an excellent bag with this method as long as the net is pliable.

The main purpose for this method is the large hauls of big river fish (sucker and gar). I've ripped the net from the lead line in the past when secured in other ways. This method gives me the most strength. Also this attachment method manages well (no tangles) in my carry case for my seines. I carry three nets with me on most trips.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users