Ohio Regional Meeting

81 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:45 AM

I would love to come, but that weekend is my girlfriend's birthday, and we have already planned a trip to the Red River Gorge in Kentucky. :?
Still in negotiations so that I can attend this meeting, while simultaneously preserving my relationship! :-k
-Thom

#42 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

I would love to come, but that weekend is my girlfriend's birthday, and we have already planned a trip to the Red River Gorge in Kentucky. :?
Still in negotiations so that I can attend this meeting, while simultaneously preserving my relationship! :-k
-Thom

Haha, good luck! If I had a nickel for every fishing trip I've had to sit out on... Anyways, count me in for this one. I shouldn't have a problem getting there. Hopefully its warm and we can snorkel the Kokosing!!!!!!! Huge darters everywhere, River Chub nests, spawning minnows, and Streamline Chubs...good times.

#43 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:33 PM

What kinds of fish are you expecting to find?
Any Mooneye or Goldeye, I would also like to find Orangespotted Sunfish.
I have 2 Kayaks and a canoe.
I would like to come but can't commit just yet, I'm starting a elevator company.
How far is this from North West Indiana?
I assume you need a fishing license, & I saw the lifejacket reg. anything else we need to know?
Brian how many people can you accommodate for camping?
Mike Berg

Edited by Mike, 02 March 2008 - 10:34 PM.

#44 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:52 PM

Between the two days it is quite possible we will see over 50 species of fish. I kinda doubt mooneye or goldeneye but I can make sugestions where to look and although though goldeye are very rare mooneye are possible in the lower Scioto, I saw quite a few of them last fall while e-fishing.

As far as regs you should be set with a fishing licence and a life jecket (I probably have a few extras). Ohio also requires cannoes/kayaks to be licenced but I'm not sure if you are from out of state and your state does not require this what the deal would be, anyone else know? if not we could look into this further.

I am about 2.5 hours from Toledo so probably 3.5 or so from the northern part of the IN state line.

As far as camping area, we own about 1.3 acres most of which is either tall unmowed grass (we just moved here in Dec and I need to find someone with a brush hog to mow this once a year for me, hopefully before this) or yard and it's all available for tent space as far as I'm concerned for that night. My wife's restriction was you'll have to use the basement restroom and unfortunately there's no shower down there and like I previously mentioned no electric except maybe some air pumps for fish.

#45 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:05 PM

Ohio also requires cannoes/kayaks to be licenced but I'm not sure if you are from out of state and your state does not require this what the deal would be, anyone else know? if not we could look into this further.

Yes, this would be a good thing to know. We only have to have moterized craft licenced in Indiana.

Mike

#46 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

Wettest Hull law. If you primarily use your canoe or kayak in a state that does not require licensing, then Ohio follows your states law.

#47 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:07 AM

My wife's restriction was you'll have to use the basement restroom and unfortunately there's no shower down there and like I previously mentioned no electric except maybe some air pumps for fish.

Any issues if someone brought a gas generator?

#48 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:31 AM

Thanks Matt, that is good to know.

Thom I don't see a problem with a generator but it seems like overkill for one night. I plan to be in or on the water all day both days so time spent here will be at a minimum. Pretty much just to sleep or maybe eat saturday night and sunday morning. We may start on saturday at a rather distant location (relative to my house) depending on what sites we decide to sample that day.

I've got a few ideas for saturday but nothing set. I think I would like at least 3-4 sites planned that day of various sized streams and habitats. I am thinking of a big river site (Walhonding, lower Tuscarawas or maybe even the Muskingum below a lock and dam), then a mid size stream like the kokosing (but not it since we will be on it the next day), maybe a marsh/wetland type of place (killbuck is about the bigest in the state and tuns of public accesss), and if we can find a site with good public access a headwater stream (lots of good ones around the central part of the state but finding a large enough public access point for 20 plus people could be difficult). This would give us the most diversity possible.

Some things we need to discuss... Start time? I can start early for fishing even though I'm not a morning person but considereing many will have some drive time I'm thinking 9am. Any objections? or do you guys want earlier?

What do you think of the above sampling plan for Saturday? I'd like to stay in the Muskingum drainage over all but aside from that I'm prety open to ideas. I know a lot of people want to go to the Darby but in all honesty the Kokosing is only missing the Tippecanoe Darter (were there at one time) and Scarlet Shiners (Distribution does not make it into the Muskingum). There may be a couple of other headwater species but then there are some in the Kokosing that you won't find in the Darby.

#49 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:39 PM

Todd, the gas and distance factor is why I'm limiting it to the Muskingum drainage but I would like some input on ideas. Possibly from you even... I know before my time there was a NANFA trip to the Walhonding, were you at that and where did it take place?

As far as the Tippecannoe Darters go... It is certainly true no one needs them but there is no legal protection for state threatened species in OHIO (I don't know about other states) and if one is careful in the location they choose to collect such a species (a obviously healthy population which is the case in much of the Scioto drainage with this species) I have no problem with collecting a few. This is obviously not something someone new to collecting should make a judgement on though but with some experience or in the company of someone with more experience I see nothing wrong with this, legally or otherwise. If someone were to majically find one durring this event in the Muskingum I would be extremely upset if it was kept (because they are either extremely rare or extirpated).

I understand your concern but I do like some feedback and in the end I will make the final schedule myself.

#50 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:41 PM

Well Brian, I vote for Wakatomika Creek of course (Didn't we find 36 species in two hours of seining...including Trout Perch, Eastern Sand Darter, Bluebreast Darter, Variegate Darter, Streamline Chub, Bigeye Chub, Spotted Bass, ... I mean, that place is a must go). The Kakosing River (for reasons I stated earlier in this thread). The Mohican has great headwater populations of SRBD and Redside Dace (plus Mottled Sculpin and Lamprey spp. potential). I also would vote for a large river species trip like below one of those locks and dams on the Muskingum. We would have the potential to see lots of big river species there, and with a group our size, we'd like catch some harder to wrangle ones.

#51 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:59 PM

I am happy with whatever you decide Brian.

#52 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:35 PM

Nate, Wakatomika is a great idea but with that size of a group and the lack of public access, the site we tipically go to may be an issue. I would like to do some scouting of that area to see if there is a possible better access down in dresden just before it goes into the Muskingum River.

#53 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:03 PM

Nate, Wakatomika is a great idea but with that size of a group and the lack of public access

There's a park in Dresden, but it's on the south side of 208 along the Muskingum. The water works and High School are on the aluvial plain north of 208. I can't get good enough resolution to see how well they're tied over to Wakatomika. There's also some big dirt areas that look like parking along 60 on the south side of the stream.

Was hoping it would be clear from the aerial, but no gas. Lots of bars and sinousity in the lower portion tho!

Todd

#54 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:23 AM

Thanks Todd I'll have to get over there and check that out.

I received confirmation that Hector Santiago will reserve a trailer of 8 cannoes for us for the 1st. If we are going to have more than 16 people that do not have their own boat then we will either have to tripple up or find a few more. I doubt this to be the case but it shows the importance of letting us know your coming ahead of time.

#55 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:06 PM

I received confirmation that Hector Santiago will reserve a trailer of 8 cannoes for us for the 1st. If we are going to have more than 16 people that do not have their own boat then we will either have to tripple up or find a few more. I doubt this to be the case but it shows the importance of letting us know your coming ahead of time.

I don't have a conoe or boat, so please save one for us (thanks). Since I don't have either, I have no reason to own life vests, either. Will I need to obtain these before arriving, or will they be provided with the conoes?

#56 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:45 PM

I can't imagine the Scenic Rivers people having a trailer of cannoes and no paddles or life vests to go with them. I wouldn't worry about it, they should have them.

#57 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:02 PM

I can't imagine the Scenic Rivers people having a trailer of cannoes and no paddles or life vests to go with them. I wouldn't worry about it, they should have them.

Brian, you are correct that we have life jackets and paddles for each canoe that we would bring. Do you know if Hector is inviting the Kokosing Scenic River Advisory Council to be part of the activities. This would give them some exposure to NANFA.

#58 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:19 PM

He said it would be discussed at the next meeting in April so I think that is a yes.

#59 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:03 PM

As far as the Tippecannoe Darters go... It is certainly true no one needs them but there is no legal protection for state threatened species in OHIO (I don't know about other states) and if one is careful in the location they choose to collect such a species (a obviously healthy population which is the case in much of the Scioto drainage with this species) I have no problem with collecting a few.

I have to go back on what I said here... It is my opinion that both the Tippecanoe darter and the Bluebreast darter (especially this one) are no longer in need of any special status here in Ohio, both have made some rather impressive recoveries in the state. However, I have recently found out while doing some research for this event that there is indeed legal protection for state threatened and even species of special concern in Ohio. I was previously misinformed by two separate ODNR fish biologists that did in fact say there was no protection for that threatened species. This is simple not true after further research i found that the fine is $1000 for each E species, $750 for each T species and $250 for each special concern individual that you have in your possession. It also does not matter weather these fish were taken from a state where they are not protected even if you have documentation of where they are from. So, what this all means is no matter how many hundred bluebreast darters we catch in the Kokosing River on June 1st, none of them are going home with anyone unless they are magically de-listed before then.

#60 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

Wow, that's interesting. Where did you come across this info?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users