Exotics Removal Program

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_northjersey_*

Guest_northjersey_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:32 AM

Several years back, the NFC had an Exotics Removal program, where fish were shipped to aquarium societies for auction. Was anyone here involved in that program and is there any interest in reviving it? On the receiving end at the North Jersey Aquarium Society, the removal fish were a big hit. The guy who shipped the fish out was Daryl Roche, based in Ft. Lauderdale.

Cheers!

-Dan Evans Farkas
North Jersey Aquarium Society

#2 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:04 PM

Several years back, the NFC had an Exotics Removal program, where fish were shipped to aquarium societies for auction. Was anyone here involved in that program and is there any interest in reviving it? On the receiving end at the North Jersey Aquarium Society, the removal fish were a big hit. The guy who shipped the fish out was Daryl Roche, based in Ft. Lauderdale.

Cheers!

-Dan Evans Farkas
North Jersey Aquarium Society

This looks likea good idea, but some of the exotics would be to big to ship. While others have to be killed by law.

But I would be interested, especially if the money genorated helped native fish.

Mike

#3 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:20 PM

This looks likea good idea, but some of the exotics would be to big to ship. While others have to be killed by law.

But I would be interested, especially if the money genorated helped native fish.

Mike

The idea is to remove aquarium suitable and legally allowable Tropical exotics from Florida waters and distribute them into the hobby. (This could be extended to Louisiana and Texas)

Naturally this means no federally listed snakeheads or sending Round goby and grass carp around the country. This was a great Idea by the NFC and it would be good to find a way to start it back up again. I think the legality issue in todays more tightened climate on transport of live exotics in Florida may make this difficult however.

#4 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:58 PM

A lot of these exotics (by no means all) are bred in Florida and shipped around the country, correct?

#5 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:03 PM

A lot of these exotics (by no means all) are bred in Florida and shipped around the country, correct?

Yes, thats very well known.....why are you asking????

#6 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:06 PM

I think the legality issue in todays more tightened climate on transport of live exotics in Florida may make this difficult however.

Yes, thats very well known.....why are you asking????

I would imagine that it shouldn't be illegal to collect and ship those ones back into the aquarium trade. At least that much should be possible.

#7 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:51 PM

I would imagine that it shouldn't be illegal to collect and ship those ones back into the aquarium trade. At least that much should be possible.

It would be wise to talk to and approach the FWC and get their thoughts again about such a project. This is the responsible thing to do. It helps to get approval from your allies before thinking about doing things yourself..

#8 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:45 PM

It would be wise to talk to and approach the FWC and get their thoughts again about such a project. This is the responsible thing to do. It helps to get approval from your allies before thinking about doing things yourself..

Absolutely. I was just suggesting that if somebody from Florida wants to do this, he shouldn't have much trouble getting the necessary permits, at least for those fish.

#9 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:24 PM

The last I checked, all you need is a regular fishing license to bag all the exotics you want, with no limit. There is no restriction against keeping them alive or transporting them. Florida just wants them gone, and doesn't much care what happens to them. The exception to this is the Peacock Bass, of course, which is an intentional introduction as a regulated gamefish. Collectors also aren't allowed in Hillsborough Inlet, where the saltwater exotics are concentrated, on account of the heavy shipping traffic. ( too bad, too; that's where the GOOD $tuff is )
Clown Knives are commonly found in two Ft Lauderdale lakes now, having an established population, and the 'glades are of course swarming with cichlids like Oscars, Mayans and festae. The old fishfarm areas on the west central coast are teeming with stuff, too. There's even monitor lizards running amok on the Gold Coast side, which are also free to nab. Pythons are of course old news, but lucrative. Plecos and Hoplos aplenty, too, and even croaking gouramis in at least one spot.
Ah, heck, you guys know all this already, so why am I typing this?

I've been down there a few times. It's amazing. There is a little wide spot on hwy 41 where you can park and look into the canal. The sight is awesome. Crystal clear water, with a yellowish tinge, slam full of gars, oscars, gators, red devils, festaes, mayans, and lots of small stuff, with numbers in the hundreds, all just right there before your boggling eyes. Even the insects, which abound, are VERY impressive. I should like to get back down there, even if just for the entomological specimens.

Anyway, while dragging a seine in that spot would be highly unwise and difficult anyway, a few tosses of a cast net would easily garner all the fish you could handle in one trip, and far more than enough to pay for the gas. We caught 22 oscars and mayans in under 10 minutes on hook & line! I don't know if a cast net is legal or not, but I tend to doubt it. Maybe they cut some slack for exotics-removers? HA! Again, I doubt it, unless they have a special permit, which shouldn't be hard for a NANFA group to get with a little proposal to the right people. The canals are difficult to fish by seine, as the banks are very steep, and the water is very clear, so the fish run away while the gators close in on you.

All in all, there's lots of fish to be removed, and lots of money to be made. I'd move down there to make a living at it if I really thought I could, but I can certainly say that it could well be well worth NANFA's effort to pick up where the NFC stopped. It's perfectly legal to ship aquarium species out of state, which is good, since doing just that is a multimillion dollar industry. You yankees have just gotten so used to seeing heavy, senseless restrictions that you can't imagine life without them, I guess. LOL! I could be wrong about all this, but I don't think I am; I guess they could have changed things recently, but I can't imagine why they would have.

By the way, the fish you find down there are MUCH nicer than the ones you see in stores. The environment of real sunshine and a natural diet really bring out the colors in ways you might not expect. Such fish would be very popular among hobbyists.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users