New Darter Described

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:48 PM

Hello All, Here is the abstract and citation of our paper describing a new darter species. It is not up on my website yet, but if you email me I can send you a PDF.

Best-Tom

A new species related to Percina macrocephala is described from the upper Tennessee
River drainage. Percina williamsi is distinguished from all species of Percina except
P. macrocephala by the presence of a sickle-shaped suborbital bar and a black bar
subtending a medial black spot on the caudal-fin base. It is separated from
P. macrocephala by having larger scales, including usually 24–26 scales around the
caudal peduncle (vs. 27–31 in P. macrocephala), 21–23 transverse scales (vs. 23–26), and
70–77 lateral scales (vs. 76–86). Values for the combination of caudal peduncle,
transverse, and lateral scales are usually 120–129 in P. williamsi and 128–141 in
P. macrocephala. Phylogenetic analyses of complete mtDNA cytochrome b gene
sequences resolve P. macrocephala and P. williamsi as sister species, and intraspecific
sampling indicates that mtDNA haplotypes of both species are reciprocally monophyletic.
Estimates of divergence times indicate that P. macrocephala and P. williamsi
shared a most recent common ancestor approximately 2.3 million years ago.

Page, L. M., and T. J. Near. 2007. A new darter from the Upper Tennessee River Drainage related to Percina macrocephala. Copeia 2007:605-613.

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:04 PM

Nice work. What's the link to your website?

#3 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:14 AM

Is the new species considered to be secure, endangered,... Or is it too soon to tell? Was it broken out of P. macrocephala, or was it newly discovered?

#4 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:32 PM

Is the new species considered to be secure, endangered,... Or is it too soon to tell? Was it broken out of P. macrocephala, or was it newly discovered?

P. williams is indeed rare. Perhaps P. macrocephala is the species in more trouble. Most telling is the extripation of P. macrocephala from several areas of the Ohio Drianage, and complete extripation from the Cumberland and Duck. The new species was split out of P. macrocephala on the basis of both morphology and patterns of genetic differentiation. Much of the morphological work was presented by Larry Page in a real nice 1978 paper (anyone can email me for a PDF of this paper) that examined geographic variation in the macrocephala species group.

Both Page 1978 and our recent paper provide some additional life history observations for P. macrocephala and P. williamsi. For example, Larry Page found small crayfish in the diet of P. macrocephala and we found a large mayfly species, Stenonema vicarium, in the diet of P. williamsi

#5 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:39 PM

P. williams is indeed rare. Perhaps P. macrocephala is the species in more trouble. Most telling is the extripation of P. macrocephala from several areas of the Ohio Drianage, and complete extripation from the Cumberland and Duck.

Hey Tom... Do you know if USFW is looking to list macrocephala or willamsi? That will certainly complicate some of the mussel work with the Epioblasma genus nightmare. I think that would be the first case of a Fed listed obligate mussel host, unless I'm overlooking something outside the Tennessee drainage.

For those of you unfamiliar with this mess, Epioblasma are a genus of large river mussel species that is without question one of the most imperilled taxa in the world. 24 of 25 described species are Fed Enangered, Possibly Extinct, or known to be Extinct. The one that is not... Is a Fed Candidate. These mussels use fish as a host to complete their development, and many of them are host specific. This genus really focused on the characteristic trait of Percinid fishes flipping rocks about in their search for food, and would literally GRAB the fish, and infect it with their young. No host.... No babies.

I've had the opportunity to snorkel twice with P. macrocephala in French Creek, PA. They're so cool, hunting in packs. These pictures aren't all that clear, and it didn't work out that the pictures captured that, but still, you'll get the idea:

http://www.farmertod...d_Darter_01.htm

http://www.farmertod...d_Darter_02.htm

http://www.farmertod...side_Darter.htm

Seems to me their habitat is in large to enormous, unimpounded, productive, yet sediment clear streams. Not many of those left, huh? This would be another group that's interesting to model. I am surprised that they're not found west of Columbia in the Duck.

I had hoped to see them in the Clinch and Powell on the way home, but didn't turn any up. I imagine these are the P. williamsi haplotype? Prolly the Holston and French Broad too? I haven't had a chance to crack this Copeia, if it's arrived. I know there's one sitting there waiting on me :)

Did you find your cinereum on the way home, or were you too busy chasing ammocrypta? :)

Todd

#6 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:34 PM

Todd,

I had a list of all the candidates for the region from the Cookeville Ecological Services office last year and macrocephela was on the list. Might be in a binder in the closet...

Now that you mention it I'm kinda surprised they aren't/haven't been found in the Duck anymore either. Being above a dam, or not having major one at all, sure seems to help (Little, Barren River, French, Rock Creek, ). A good number of the recent records there aren't really in what I would consider large rivers either, like Rock Creek and the Little River, even French Creek (10-30 m wide). Maybe medium to enourmous? :grin:

#7 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:52 AM

If you find the report and wouldn't mind making a copy and tossing it in a certain box, that would be greatly appreciated :) I started rounding up newspaper last night, so you'll have to send it soon to avoid the net gain issue lol.

A good number of the recent records there aren't really in what I would consider large rivers either, like Rock Creek and the Little River, even French Creek (10-30 m wide). Maybe medium to enourmous? :grin:

A hypothesis toward what's being found now are an expanding genotype of smaller streams that don't necessarily need big downstream sections, like the historic populations used. There's an awful lot of correlation between dam effects and this species. It seems they're expanding in this patch/margin habitat that they used, but weren't dominantly found in historically. As I said, this would be another fun one to model.

In any case, this is an important fish species, beyond the conservation of the species alone. Slam dunk project, anyone?

Todd

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users