sunfish id help

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:17 PM

Need help with this little guy. The other fish *exactly* like this one but bigger has a round caudal fin. I've had him in a 1-2tbsp/5 setup for a week+ and the tail hasn't gotten any worse. I just moved the bigger one to another tank and didn't want to stress it even more with pics.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:02 AM

Did you take several fish and photoshop them together into a Frankenstein fish just to try to stump us? This is a crazy looking little fish. If it has a round caudal fin, it can only be Acantharchus or Enneacanthus, and it is definitely not Acantharchus.

Okay, here's where I go out on a limb. I think it is obesus, probably female. The very pronounced opercular flap, definite tear drop, larger eye and higher number of bands, just visible through the mottling, lead me in this direction.

#3 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:52 AM

Hmm. If I didn't know any better I would also say photochop.

I can only say it can't be Acantharchus or E. gloriosus. Well I guess it could be some odd looking gloriosus but I doubt it.

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:51 AM

Well, this is the fish I first thought was a E. gloriosus, took it home and it got REALLY dark so I started thinking it was Acantharchus pomotis. When I moved one of them out of my QT, he started looking more like a bland E.gloiousus. We have what we believe is a male E. obesus so this would be the first female.

PS. My photochoping skills aren't that great to create a new species of fish. :D

#5 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:51 AM

This is an odd hybrid, warmouth with either banded or bluespotted sunfish. I believe in Fishes of Wisconsin this was on the list of artificially created hybrids, so it is possible.

#6 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:04 AM

I've forgotten about this. It has been some time and I gave that fish to Enneacanthus and he said the tail is growing back slowly and is pretty sure it is 100% banded sunfish, E. obesus.

I don't believe warmouth would be able to cross-breed with Enneacanthus spp.

#7 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:16 AM

How big is it? I'm thinking juvenile warmouth.

#8 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:36 AM

How big is it? I'm thinking juvenile warmouth.

You can't see in the picture, but an identical fish to it but larger lacks the forked tail therefore ruling out warmouth.

#9 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:39 AM

shadow bass?

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:57 PM

I'm in the obesus camp too. There ARE similarities to Ambloplites, but no.

#11 Guest_Charlotteguy101_*

Guest_Charlotteguy101_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:45 PM

how long is this fish?

#12 Guest_Charlotteguy101_*

Guest_Charlotteguy101_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:51 PM

also, i live in charlotte nc and alot of the warmouth i catch here have very rounded caudal fins, not nearly as forked as in the field guides

#13 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:04 PM

That one was 3/4 - 1 inch. Here is a not so good pic of the bigger one.

Attached Files

#14 Guest_Charlotteguy101_*

Guest_Charlotteguy101_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:16 PM

looks like a bluespotted sunfish

#15 Guest_Charlotteguy101_*

Guest_Charlotteguy101_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:17 PM

but to be honest, the two dont look the same

#16 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:50 PM

Oh, that explains some things. That guy with the strange markings is only 3/4 of an inch long. The first time I seen tiny bluespots, I thought I had hit the jack pot with blackbandeds. Small bluespots have dark banding and, this fish in the picture could be at the point of loosing that.

#17 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:10 AM

These look like E gloriosus to me. They're different from the typical southern ones, but I understand that the more northern ones _are_ different in appearance. Definitely not A pomotis. Likely not E obesus. The small spots on fins and body are characteristic of gloriosus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users